Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ankhesenamen's tomb

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:19 pm    Post subject: Ankhesenamen's tomb Reply with quote

I was wondering about a couple of things here:

They have never found any grave goods attributed to Ankhesenamen right? No shabtis, no inscribed items declaring her "just of voice", nothing.

What would be theoretically speaking a logical place for her burial? Previous Queens were sometimes buried in the Valley of the Kings. SOme were interred with thier husbands. But there was cleaarly never any intention of burying her with her husband, Tutankhamen.
She was never even depicted in Aye's tomb, so it seems unlikely that she would have been buried in his tomb.
There is no sign that there was a tomb intended for her at Amarna.
Later Queens were buried in the Valley of the Queens, but there's no sign of her there either.

Queen Mutnodjemet was buried in Saqqara at Horemheb's non-royal tomb chapel.

I'm wondering if she was buried in some out of the way unconventional spot like her possible aunt Mutnodjemet, or if her resting place was destroyed. In the latter case I would have expected to see some of her grave goods appear.

What would alternative sites be? Saqqara? Dashur? Any thoughts?
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure myself if much at all has ever been found of Ankhesenamen. There is KV58, a pit tomb that contains an assemblage of materials and debris (segments of gold-foil sheets, calcite knobs, box handles), and Ankhesenamen's name appears on two of these articles. Other evidence suggests that all of these articles originated in WV23, Ay's tomb, and was probably moved near the end of the New Kingdom when many of the royal tombs were being dismantled.

But who knows where she ended up when she died? She was from the direct line of the heretic king, and we know the damage the tombs of those who served Akhenaten suffered. Ay's tomb itself was extensively violated, the sarcophagus itself shattered (only to be reassembled by modern conservators). Tut's tomb survived more or less intact simply because it was forgotten within years of its internment, especially later on when the entrance to KV9 (Ramesses V/VI, I believe) was built over the top of Tut's burial.

Remember, there are a number of small tombs in the Valley of the Kings and the Valley of the Queens whose owners are unknown. Some of these originated as private non-royal tombs that were later usurped for other purposes (such as Tut's tomb, of course, and then there's KV5, which was expanded dramatically over time for the sons of Ramesses II). All I'm saying is Ankhesenamen could have been secreted away in any one of these little tombs, and was in every way meant to be forgotten. I for one believe she was buried somewhere in the Theban necropolis, though of course Saqarra is a (more remote) possibility.

While we're on the subject of royal tombs, I'm sure many of you are already well familiar with the Theban Mapping Project and its wonderful web site. This is one of my very favorite sites. But in case some of you haven't found it yet, I'd like to take the opportunity to share it here:

http://www.thebanmappingproject.com/
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt sesh wrote:
There is KV58, a pit tomb that contains an assemblage of materials and debris (segments of gold-foil sheets, calcite knobs, box handles), and Ankhesenamen's name appears on two of these articles. Other evidence suggests that all of these articles originated in WV23, Ay's tomb, and was probably moved near the end of the New Kingdom when many of the royal tombs were being dismantled.

I did not know about that. It would be interesting if she was buried with Aye, because it was really Tey who was depicted as his Queen.

I think there are several small tombs (undecorated) that are dated to the 18th dynasty. I think there's one (KV 21, not sure about #) that contained royal women up until the last century but water damage and vandalism pretty much detroyed the remains in recent history.

It was really the burial of Mutnodjemet in Saqqara that made me realize that Ankhesenamen could just as easily been buried in an unconventional place. The ring of her found at Dashur may just be a gift to a courtier, but the large size tomb made me wonder ever so briefly.

Similarly for her sister Merytaten. She was a Queen and Great Wife (even if it was for a short time) and her resting place is not known. And I'm not aware of any funerary goods of hers being found. Unless she is the female ruler known as Neferneferuaten Cool
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought that Neferneferuaten was simply another manifestation of Nefertiti. I'm quite certain the literature contends as much. But to be honest, with all those names that emerged during Akhenaten's reign, particularly near the end, it's damned difficult to figure out just who was whom.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's really no consensus about who Neferneferuaten was.
The shabti of Nefertiti naming her as a great royal wife argues against her taking the throne. But who knows?
I think some egyptologists think Neferneferuaten may have been Merytaten (maybe fits the chronology a bit better?).
There is one who proposed Kiya as the Queen (maybe because some see her as the mother of Tut and hence 'logical' regent?)

It was not until April of this year according to the book by Dodson/Hilton I was reading that it has been convincingly shown that Smenkhare and Neferneferuaten were two distinct individuals.

For all we know she may also have been Ankhesenamen, but that theory is not mentioned by the egyptologists for as far as I know.
Aktisanes
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:10 am    Post subject: Amarna Reply with quote

The poblem with royal names is that kings or queens who become king are given a new name the nomen but keep their birthname prenomen, so if any of akhnaton's dauchters became (co)-regent she would have kept her birthname in her titulary.
Also kings who are of the same kin or family group kept the same style of name as their predessessors (look at al the kheper names in the 18th and all the sekhem-Re names in the 17thdyn)

Jean
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've read Neferneferuaten was also named Ankhetkheperure, the female version of Smenkhare's name. That's where the whole confusion about "one or two people" came from.

Very Happy Hmmm maybe it was Neferneferuaten-tasherit the 4th princess? (Just kidding; I'm not seriously proposing that)

Would be nice if some additional evidence was uncovered. It seems that there are serious questions about just about any scenario proposed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: