Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ancient Egypt's legacy to modern society?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:46 pm    Post subject: Ancient Egypt's legacy to modern society? Reply with quote

I'm just curious-did the ancient Egyptian leave behind anything that still remains in our modern day lives?
I'm not talking about pyramids and ancient monuments, but like a legacy...for example, the Mesopotamians invented the wheel, writing and our modern day measurements of time, the Greeks gave us philosophy, and many mathematical and scientific concepts, etc...do we still have anything derived from ancient Egypt in our modern society? (apart from wonderful architecture and art that is)
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One I can think of is a religious one: The madonna and the child image from the Christian church is based on Isis and the child horus.

Is a library an egyptian institution? The library of Alexandria was a great center of learning, and in some sense functioned as a university. I have never heard of anything like it in other old civilizations.

There is probably a lot of indirect influence. Science was influenced by people such as Ptolemy. Many of the great minds of the day gathered in Alexandria. I do believe that the first person to realize that the earth was round and not flat was an Egyptian.
Kevin
Admin/Admun/Admen
Admin/Admun/Admen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the most important invention in history, which without we would not be communicating now? - Writing.

It is believed that King Scorpion invented writing, based upon scores of ivory tags discovered in his tomb. Each tag contains an image, not unlike hieroglyphs, which many believe to be the first form of writing.

There was a History Channel documentary about this last year and quite a few sites on the web about it. Here's one I just found: http://www.providencepictures.com/pp/press-history-dowd.html
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I have seen the statues/pictures of Isis and Horus, and it is uncanny how similar they look to the madonna and child. I've even read somewhere that December 25 was the b-day of Horus before it became Christmas.

you're saying the Scorpion King invented hieroglyphics? What, the scorpion king from the movie? LOL Laughing I'm pretty sure it was the Sumerians who invented writing, then the Egyptians invented their hieroglyphs after that...

Another thing-the 365 day calendar is Egyptian, I remember reading in a book about calendar history. They measured the year as accurately as they could, with help from a little star called Sirius...
Kevin
Admin/Admun/Admen
Admin/Admun/Admen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isisinacrisis wrote:
I'm pretty sure it was the Sumerians who invented writing, then the Egyptians invented their hieroglyphs after that...
That's what is under debate at the moment due to recent discoveries about King Scorpion.
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing how recent discoveries are going to turn history on it's head...
I really need to get Discovery Channel, or National Geographic, then I could see documentaries on Egypt every night! Smile
Kevin
Admin/Admun/Admen
Admin/Admun/Admen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another program I saw last year showed how they were searching for the burial place of Imhotep. It also showed how they believed, due to texts and items they had found, that they also believed that Imhotep was quite an accomplished physician. They said that if they could find more proof it would turn the medical industry on it's head as it is currently believed that Hippocrates is the father of modern medicine. They said that if they could find his burial place, and more proof, new doctors should be swearing an Imhotepic oath instead of the current Hippocratic oath.

http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/imhotep.htm
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating stuff!
It's funny how those great Egyptian figures, who should be given credit for being groundbreaking inventors of the most fundamental things like writing and medicine, are more well known nowadays as characters from blockbuster mummy movies Laughing
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just reading the article...incredible! Not only was he the inventor of modern medicine, but he invented the pyramids!
Djehtinefer
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'd add the Poll Tax (first invented by the Ancient Egyptians), someone has already mentioned the scientific and systematic study of medicine and the hippocratic oath. The Edwin Smith Papyrus, seems to be a firsthand record of clinical procedures, recording treatments and outcomes. It is, however, not just a collection of prescriptions, it also contains diagnostic notes and for the first time in history there are theoretical considerations about the problems relating to health, life and disease without any magical religion involved.

The papyrus also includes 250, what we might call ‘clinical cases’, these cover a range of diseases, many of them not yet identified. Of the sections that are included are: digestive disease and intestinal worms, eye and skin diseases, care of the skin and hair, fractures and burns, stiff and painful limbs, gynaecological diseases, surgical treatments of tumours and abscesses. There is also the very important section dealing with the heart and its vessels – the metw and how it worked.

There are certain religious themes, the logos (the word) in creation, the Triad/Trinity.

And writing though this is still not conculsive. Recent work by Gunter Dreyer, the director of the German Archaeological Institute in Cairo, whose team have discovered around 300 pieces of written material found mainly in the tomb of a king called Scorpion in a cemetery in the Suhag province, 500 kilometres (300 miles) south of Cairo; have dated the inscriptions to around 3300BC to 3200BC using carbon dating techniques. (Egyptian State Information Service Website)

His findings challenge the commonly held belief that the Sumerians were the first to develop writing. However, both Robert Englund (University of California) and John Baines (Oxford University) remain sceptical about his claims. As Robert Englund states “The history of writing is so startlingly better documented in Mesopotamia”.

Writing - an Egyptian invention? University of Wisconsin Website http://www.news.wisc.edu/whyfiles/079writing/2.html
Hatshepsu
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perhaps im wrong.. but i think a lot of religion comes from them.. is it just me or is the onhk a lil close to the cross? i dunno.. i cant name things off right now but i see things around everywhere that reminds me of egypt.
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah of course, I forgot about the ankh! It does look very similar to the cross! And the Egyptian trinity was Osiris Isis and Horus, right? I haven't heard of the word of creation in Egyptian myth, the way i heard the universe was created according to Egyptian myth will not be mentioned here, for obvious reasons... Wink
Djehtinefer
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually there are several versions of the creation myth, the use of the 'divine word' (logos) in creation comes from the Memphite creation myth.

The Memphite theology is perhaps the one cosmology that comes close to a philosophical explanation of the creation of the universe. They describe Ptah as the supreme creator god of the universe, but not just of other gods, human beings or other living things, the shrines and images, even things such as cities and towns, food and drink. Everything was a concept that the god Ptah thought of and brought into existence.

One of the titles of Ptah was ‘Lord of Truth’; by virtue of this role he also created ‘Divine Utterance’ and established ethics. The ancient Egyptians believed that creation came into existence because of two things; first of all through the thoughts of the God, which would be expressed through the tongue and speech and through the Will of the God. He conceived in his heart what he wanted to do and then spoke it. (Anything that was spoken could not be stopped unless you knew the antidote. So anything you say will reach a result.)

The Memphite theology is recorded carved on a black granite stone, now in the British Museum, called the Shabaka Stone.
Djehtinefer
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alomsit forgot about the similarities between the Hymn to Aten and Pslam 104.
Hatshepsu
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isisinacrisis wrote:
I haven't heard of the word of creation in Egyptian myth, the way i heard the universe was created according to Egyptian myth will not be mentioned here, for obvious reasons... Wink

what do you mean cant be mentioned? i dont think anything should not not be mentioned.. well because its history and i think none of us are in grade 2 *teehee* .. so go ahead.. say what you mean.. personally i dont know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: