Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

rollin rollin!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hatshepsu
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 10:06 pm    Post subject: rollin rollin! Reply with quote

lets get the ball rolling better huh? good!

Heres a QUESTION.. for ALL OF YOU Very Happy lol please answer it! I'm BEGGING you to answer it!

Ok here it is.. *drum roll*

What first got you interested in egypt???
Hatshepsu
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops! almost forgot to say what my reason was! Embarassed

Smile well actually, i LOVE reading. Its my FAVORITE thing to do. Usually its fanatasy. Well i was between fantasy series, and well i was looking at our book collection (about a year and a half? probably a year ago) and well i saw pauline gedges book.. and i had always been curious about egypt. So i read it. It was GREAT. next thing you know i was down in the basement again going through bookshelf after bookshelf!

Serena Wink
Lou Powell
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: rollin rollin! Reply with quote

Hatshepsu wrote:
lets get the ball rolling better huh? good!

Heres a QUESTION.. for ALL OF YOU Very Happy lol please answer it! I'm BEGGING you to answer it!

Ok here it is.. *drum roll*

What first got you interested in egypt???

I was on holiday in Cyprus last year and the tour company were offering a one day trip to Cairo. As i knew Egypt was deffinately a place i would like to go someday, i jumped at the chance . WOW ! so glad i did. Absolutley mind blowing. Been hooked ever since. Went back again this May.... Still got the tan to prove it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Djehtinefer
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erick von Danken and the Tutankhamun exhibition in London many years ago.
Jason Patterson
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 2:53 am    Post subject: Erick von Daniken? Reply with quote

Djehtinefer:

Don't mean to critize but Erick vo Daniken? The man who "thinks" the pyramids were built by aliens and that the ancient Greeks had encounters with the "third kind"? I am sorry, but if you want to learn about the real ancient Egypt don't go into the fringe, it is only half trues and lies it is unevidenced and is only imagination at work not science. Sorry to burst your bubble.
Djehtinefer
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pointer, I hadn't put in the post when I read it (1974 Chariots of the Gods , I was 12 at the time) or that I no longer considered it to be valid theory; just the things that first got me interested in Egypt.
Jan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I became interested in Ancient Egypt at school. We were supposed to be studying the 1st World War, but the stand-in treacher thought that was too boring Very Happy and handed out ancient history text books instead. I've been hooked every since.

Lou, where did you get to on your holiday?

Hi, Djehtinefer - from one Lancashire lass to another.
Lou Powell
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan,

Well, me and my partner have just got back from Sharm el Shiekh. A wonderful place although a little touristy. Incredibly more sedate than my trip to Cairo last year but still with lots of interesting things to see and learn. A camel ride to a bedouin village was a real eye opener and the Red Sea and The Ras Mohammed National Park are just beautiful.

I just want to add that at no time did we fear for our safety or security, even with the bombings in Morocco and Saudi Arabia the week before we went. Our holiday was terrific. You can get some good deals on the internet. We did, even managed to stay at a 5* Hilton Hotel, how cool was that. ( see .... they do let riff raff into those kind of places. )

Take care all.

Lou Very Happy

Anubis...... kick a friend into touch and go book that holiday..... you'll love it. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

H Lou,

I haven’t been to Sharm el Shiekh, but I’ve been to Hurgarda on the Red Sea. We usually stay at the Intercontinental – another beautiful hotel. My husband enjoys diving and the last time he persuaded me to have a go. Big mistake – I didn’t realise, until it was too late, just how bad my claustrophobia is. I managed to make it to the end of the session but my diving days at well and truly over!

Glad to hear you had a great time and didn’t encounter any problems.

Jan

(PS Addition to last message to Djehtinefer ‘.... or Lancashire Lad!’)
wannabe
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!
I realise this is a little bit late for a reply but I have only just discovered this website.

My fascination with Egypt started when I was 5, my Grandad gave me some photos he had taken in 1943. He was based in Cairo for sometime during the second world war.

For years I just wanted to go out there. I have read loads of books and about once a month when I'm in the westend I'd pop into the British museum and marvel at the statues and the mummies etc...

Another weird thing happened in 1998. I was told by a medium that I had an Egyptian spirit guide!

Eventually this summer I got to go and had the best holiday ever. I now want to go out to Egypt to teach.

So there you have it a rather short version of my passion for Egypt!

Sharon.
Jan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sharon,

Great photos, as a photographer I find them fascinating. My grandfather was also based in Egypt during the war, mainly around Alexandria I believe, but unfortunately I have no photos.

Pyramids and sphinx haven't changed much Smile but surrounding area (and planes) have.

Have you investigated the opportunities of teaching in Egypt?
wannabe
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyday since I got back!

Plus I met two teachers on the Nile cruise who had taught in Cairo for 5 years.

They had no trouble convincing me.

I am going to try and tie things up for the next academic year, so September 2004 I'm off to Egypt hopefully.
almostascribe
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stargate the Movie and the TV series.
Steve
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whys was your grandad in Egypt? my great great grandad I belive was SS and he was with the Rommel and he visited Egypt with the Afrika Korps but I dont remember why.
Steve
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol did I offend everyone because my great grandad (not my great great grandad) was in the waffen S.S? Anyway heres the story Egypt was one of the first places the war was beign faught in and my great grandad was posted there with the Afrika Korps led by Rommel. My great grandad told my grandad that he hated Egypt but he also grew up in Germany and wasent used to the heat. Anyway there is pictures of the unit somwhere around either mine or my grandmas house.If I ever get a scanner and find the pictures ill show you
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: