Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who are...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: Who are... Reply with quote

...the Gerzeans?

I read somewhere that they may be where the ancient Egyptian civilisation came from, but it said no more. Who are they, and what country are they from or where were they discovered? (is it Egypt?)
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to touregypt:
Quote:
The third stage of the Predynastic period is dated to around 4000 BC and is labeled the Gerzean period or Naqada II.

from an article about pre-dynastic egypt (ca 5500-3100 BC)

I guess that it's not so much that the egyptian civ. came from them, as that they are one of the "stages" of egyptian civ.

Naqada I (sometimes referred to as Amratian) was an even earlier group.

Quote:
Amratian and Gerzean are vastly different from one another, and one can see the growing influence of the peoples of the North on those of the South. Soon this would result in a truly mixed people and culture, that of the Late Predynastic, or Naqada III. The greatest difference between the Amratian and the Gerzean peoples can be seen in their ceramics industries. While Amratian pottery did have some decorative aspects, its primary purpose was functional. Gerzean pottery, on the other hand, was developed along decorative lines. Gerzean pottery is adorned with organic-inspired geometric motifs, and highly realistic depictions of animals, people, and the many other things that surrounded the Gerzean people. There are more than a few surprises in the motifs, however. Unusual animals such as ostriches and ibexes give clues to a possibility that the Gerzeans hunted in the sub-desert, as such animals were not to be found near the Nile. We also find what are possibly the first representations of gods, almost always shown riding in boats and carrying standards that greatly resemble the later standards that would represent the various provinces of Egypt. It is possible too, that these are simply some form of historical records (visits of chieftains, battles, perhaps?), but as they are almost always painted on votive artifacts buried with the dead, the plausible explanation points to the sacred.

When compared to the Pharaonic periods, the Gerzean culture is not much dissimilar, having reached a high level of civilization, especially in is religious aspects, and particularly in those dealing with funerary customs. Amratian burials were most often simply a pit in the ground, covered over by a skin-covered framework, but with the Gerzean, tomb-building became a foreshadowing of what was to come, with furnished underground rooms, near replicas of the dwelling that the deceased had occupied in life. Amulets and other ceremonial objects, many of which depict the early animal-form gods of the Gerzeans, are also prolific in these tombs. The Gerzean form of the afterlife would eventually grow into the Cult of Osiris and the magnificent burials of the Dynasties.

I may be wrong, but I think they lived in the South...
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL well, not more than a minute after posting that I find the following :
Quote:
At Gerza on the Nile River just south of the modern site of Cairo, the Gerzeans developed a civilization based on the metallurgy of copper. In about 3500 B.C. they learned basic copper metallurgy from immigrants from Mesopotamia.

NOT in the south it seems.... Laughing
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So they were Egyptian...but it turns out there were also Mesepotamians too. I thought the immigrants from the east came at a much later dynastic period?
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a good site about Naqada II, i.e. the Gerzeans
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gerzeans are Naqada II, and after Naqada II you get (yup you guessed it) Naqada III.

Naqada III is sometimes called Dynasty 00.
You get Dyn00, Dyn0, and then Dyn1 (Narmer etc).

There's a great site about Dyn 00 here

It's a bit off topic, but for those of you interested in pre-dynastic egypt....
Philip Arrhidaeus
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good reading I think is:
'Egypt Before the Pharaohs', Michael A. Hoffman.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: