Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'Stretching the cord'

View previous topic :: View next topic  
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: 'Stretching the cord' Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me about the Egyptian ceremony/ritual known as 'stretching the cord'?

It's got something to do with the building of new temples and monuments, and apparently it involved the goddess Seshet and the alignments of stars. Can anyone give me more info on this?
Raia
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard of a ritual where when they begin to build a new building they have one person holding a...something like a pendant I think Embarassed , but they have to align it with a certain star and that becomes the base for the new monument--supposedly it was a very respectable job to have.
father of the orphan, husband of the widow...
though the servant offends him, he is merciful
Philip Arrhidaeus
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://members.aol.com/egypttour/komcord.html

http://www.mythofcreation.co.uk/image_pages/cord.htm

http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/seshat.htm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ancient/egyptians/great_pyramid_03.shtml
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the links-I was right, there really are connections with Seshet and the stars.

Is it true that the pyramids were lined up to the compass points? If so, i assume they could have use the north star, as they were, in my opinion, very good astronomers.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think about modern construction, they use rope stretched tight between two poles to create straight lines. I suspect that's how they created the walls in AE as well. You would have to make sure the foundations were straight after all.
They built on a rather large scale. I suspect pulling a rope taut would be the only reliable way to create sttraight lines.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isisinacrisis wrote:
Is it true that the pyramids were lined up to the compass points? If so, i assume they could have use the north star, as they were, in my opinion, very good astronomers.

I can't say for all of the pyramids, but the three most famous--on the Giza Plateau, of course--are in fact aligned to the cardinal points. The Egyptians had a sophisticated understanding of astronomy, as well as a rich mytho-astrological foundation in their culture, so erecting a building to the cardinal points was both practical and religious to them. After all, they used celestial objest such as the Circumpolar Stars to establish true north.
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did they use the north star? Seems simple enough, but I've heard that in those days there was no north star (was this to do with presessional earth axis wobbling?)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: