Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Egyptian god and myth questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehehe you see, the reason I like Isis so much is because I'm named after her. I mean, my real name-it translates as 'Gift of Isis'. That's how I found out about her and Egypt. So she's pretty close to my heart, in a way.

and I love Anubis too. Although some of his more obsessive fans tend to be rather scary Laughing but you're not!

That thing about Isis being barren was on some weird site trying to connect the bible with Egyptian myth. Now I do agree that Egypt had considerable influence on the Christians-in fact I'm reading a book on the subject now-but that claim about Isis being barren baffled me. Maybe the author got mixed up with her being connected to the virgin Mary and that meant that Isis was a virgin-but wasn't Isis connected with female fertility? That is the opposite of barren, I think.
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and starying on the subject, I just saw another shop webiste (I won't give the link because it may be spamming) which sold a statue of Isis and Horus and labelled it Hathor and Horus! It even said that she was his mother...but that statue is clearly of Isis and Horus. I have never seen a statue or representation of Hathor suckling Horus in anything other than in full cow form, and usually horned goddesses suckling him are labelled as Isis and some even have throne crowns to prove it.

That same statue is sold (or was sold) here at Egyptian dreams, and here it was labelled Isis and horus (but bizarrely the filename of the image was 'hathor'!) but what really irked me was that the other shop also sold the statue which here at Egyptian Dreams is called 'Isis and Osiris' (with a goddess embracing a bird-man) but that shop labels it 'Horus and Osiris' even though one of the figures is blatantly female! Maybe Horus and Isis would be more accurate, even though Kev told me the birdman was the Benu version of Osiris, not Horus.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure that statue you saw was Isis and Horus. Is it the classical pose of the infant Horus suckling Isis from her lap? That is one of the most common images from ancient Egypt. In our musuem we have a long display case filled with bronze images of the Osiris-Isis-Horus triad, and many of the pieces are of Horus suckling Isis. I highly doubt what you saw was Hathor, so I'll bet you're right.

Incidentally, many art historians are convinced that the pose of Horus on Isis' lap inspired many later Christian artists with their common motif of the Christ with the Virgin Mary.

Now that I think of it, I'm sure I've already mentioned that. I'm repeating myself. It's early dementia settling in. My apologies. Smile
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm sure that statue you saw was Isis and Horus. Is it the classical pose of the infant Horus suckling Isis from her lap? That is one of the most common images from ancient Egypt.

Yup, that's the one. I can't believe someone labelled that as Hathor-mybe it's the horns. But even so, Isis had horns too.
I did once see a picture like that-but the goddess was cow headed. Maybe that was hathor. But I saw a really weird mother and child picture from Egypt-the mother was snake headed??? Who was that?

Quote:
Incidentally, many art historians are convinced that the pose of Horus on Isis' lap inspired many later Christian artists with their common motif of the Christ with the Virgin Mary.

That's what I believe-and yes you did mention that. Don't worry, I forget and repeat things too Laughing
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But I saw a really weird mother and child picture from Egypt-the mother was snake headed??? Who was that?

It's hard to know for sure without seeing the image you're describing. Probably the snake-headed goddess you saw was Wadjet, the patron of Lower Egypt. She is the cobra goddess and is represented on Pharaoh's crown by the uraeus (flared cobra head), side by side with the vulture head that represents Nekhbet, the vulture goddess and patron of Upper Egypt.

It's also possible your snake-headed goddess was another cobra-headed female deity named Weret-Hekau ("Great Enchantress"). She appears as far back as the Pyramid Texts of the Old Kingdom and was then basically a manifestation of Wadjet. Later, though, she became more of an independent goddess unto herself (numerous items in Tut's tomb are inscribed with her name).

I would have to guess it was the former--Wadjet. I'm basing that by your description of the child. Was he shown on her lap or being guided by her, hand-in-hand? This is a common way to show a king as a child being protected and guided by a great deity. In this case it would symbolize that the child was being embraced and recognized by the cobra-headed goddesses, and therefore Lower Egypt itself.

By the way, we were talking about that source you came across that mentioned Isis as barren. I had to laugh over that, but I did a little more digging, and it turns out her sister, Nephthys, was occasionally described as barren. This is probably a misconception of a few modern historians. There is no evidence I know of that specifically states Nephthys was barren. She's not nearly as well known as Isis--in fact there is little to no record of her outside the precincts of Heliopolis--but in the ancient myths she is definitively portrayed as the mother of Anubis, through a liaison with Osiris (don't tell Isis!).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: