Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who were the "Sea Peoples" ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dampwater
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Who were the "Sea Peoples" ? Reply with quote

For what its worth, i know that they were people that attacked mst of the ancient world and destroyed or caused in the destruction of many such as Myceneans, and Hittites, and they also attacked Egypt, and Ramses ( i cant remember the number, but he was the last one of the new kingdom) stopped them at sea and then Egypt stepped into decline just a while later. I just wanna know who where those sea people and might they have caused the decline of Egypt or was it just a coincidence. Correct me if i am wrong in what i just wrote, i'm not really sure.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an article on touregypt:
http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/seapeople.htm

They state that the sea people were not one but several groups of people from the general area of the eastern medditerranean.

Quote:
...the Sea People included:

* The Peleset, who were non other than the Philistines that gave their name to Palestine. 
* The Lukka who may have come from the Lycian region of Anatolia. 
* The Ekwesh and Denen who seem to be identified with the Homeric Achaean and Danaean Greeks
* The Sherden who may be associated with Sardinia.
* The Teresh (Tursha or Tyrshenoi - possibly the Tyrrhenians), the Greek name for the Etruscans; or from the western Anatolian Taruisa 
* Shekelesh (Shekresh, Sikeloi - Sicilians?) 

Is it possible that these are the fore-runners of the philistines?

The sea people probabbly became active as early as the time of Akhenaten. It seems that the sea people first attacked during the reign of Merneptah.

They attacked again under Ramses III:
Quote:

In the 8th regnal year of Ramesses III, they again returned to attack Egypt, by both land and sea.  Ramesses III records that:

"The foreign countries made a plot in their islands. Dislodged and scattered by battle were the lands all at one time, and no land could stand before their arms, beginning with Khatti , Kode , Carchemish , Arzawa , and Alasiya ... A camp was set up in one place in Amor , and they desolated its people and its land as though they had never come into being. They came, the flame prepared before them, onwards to Egypt. Their confederacy consisted of Peleset, Tjekker, Sheklesh, Danu, and Weshesh, united lands, and they laid their hands upon the lands to the entire circuit of the earth, their hearts bent and trustful 'Our plan is accomplished!' But the heart of this god, the lord of the gods, was prepared and ready to ensnare them like birds... I established my boundary in Djahi , prepared in front of them, the local princes, garrison-commanders, and Maryannu. I caused to be prepared the rivermouth like a strong wall with warships, galleys, and skiffs. They were completely equipped both fore and aft with brave fighters carrying their weapons and infantry of all the pick of Egypt, being like roaring lions upon the mountains; chariotry with able warriors and all goodly officers whose hands were competent. Their horses quivered in all their limbs, prepared to crush the foreign countries under their hoofs. "

anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an article about the inscriptions at Medinet Habu

There are links there which show depictions of the sea people. It seems clear that they consisted of a confederation of people.

Links from that site lead to pages discussing the different groups within the sea peoples. This one is about the Danuna (Danai, Denyen).
http://www.courses.psu.edu/cams/cams400w_aek11/www/danuna.htm

They wear rather strange headdresses. I wonder if they were Greek???
In one of the inscriptions it talks about
Quote:
I  slew the Denyen in their islands, while the Tjeker and the Philistines were made ashes. The Sherden and the Weshesh of the Sea were nonexistent, captured all together and brought in captivity to Egypt like the sands of the shore (Pritchard 1969: 260-261).

In the text they brush that off with: "The “islands” where Ramesses III situated the Danuna were tiny islets and capes of the Cilician coast "

I think that the short answer may be that they have some idea of who they were, but can't defnitively identify them.
Dampwater
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx alot guys, i understood alot about the sea peoples. But still the question suggested by the show i saw on histroy channel is that they were so strong that they caused an almost apocalypic event throught the whole mediterranean region beginning from Mycenae and Hittites,...etc, but were stopped by the Egyptians and then Egypt never became as strong as it was before. First off, i don't belive that the wars with the sea peoples caused that much damage. Secondly, if they were such a great army and destroyed so many people, how come they weren't mentioned much more. Even though they disappeared after that, but so did the mongols, and look how much they are mentioned.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: