Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Priestesses of Isis? ((I need all the info I can get!))
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree completely. And I think your example shows exactly what I was trying to get across.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you were trying to get across, anneke, is exactly what made me think of myself as an example. It's a very astute observation on your part.

I think too many of my fellow Americans are stuck on ridiculous and unnecessary labels--labels that serve more to divide and alienate than to identify. "I am African-American." "I am Latino-American." "I am Asian-American." "I am Irish-American." As far as I'm concerned the only people of North America who can sensibly employ such a label are the Native Americans. In their case it makes sense, and it is their right. The rest of us in the United States are AMERICANS, and that's enough.

And I think we of modern times are too quick to apply the same sort of logic to ancient peoples. Certainly the Ptolemies knew well of their Macedonian-Greek lineage and were prouod of it--as well they should be--but somehow I just don't see Cleopatra VII saying anything akin to, "I am Macedonian-Egyptian." Laughing
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting topic you touched upon-there is a difference between the ethnicity and the nationality but where does one stop and the other begin? Hmmm...

I am another example. I consider myself to be British, because I was born in London, speak English-but my mother is French, and I still have to have a French identity. So officially I should be French-British...
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my case I still have the Dutch nationality, but I have now lived in the US for almost 19 years.
I get back to Holland somewhat regularly, but I can feel the connection to the "old country" slipping away to some degree. Not living there anymore, I don't know as much about the issues that play a large role. I read some Dutch papers online, but that's not the same as living there and experiencing the culture as it develops through the years.
I'm technically not Dutch-American, but maybe Americanized-Dutch?? Laughing

I wonder how the later ptolemies perceived themselves? We may never know of course. When I have more time I'll read through the site by C Bennett again. He has the complete geneology up, and has quite a bit of info on many of the people in that family. Maybe there are some clues there.
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post, kmt_sesh. I agree completely. Indeed, Cleopatra could have been considered to be the ultimate Egyptian. As I said in my post, she worked relentlessly to improve conditions in Egypt, to restore Egypt to its former power.
The point I was trying to make is the same that you have stated. She was, by blood, Greek. But she was also, most definately, Egyptian.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: