Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Montu and Onuris (Anher) Gods of War

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Montu and Onuris (Anher) Gods of War Reply with quote

I found it rather interesting that there were at least two gods of war.

Montu
Quote:
Montu was honored with cult centers in a number of locations. Specifically, he was worshipped at four sites within the Theban region. The cult centers included Armant (ancient Greek Hermonthis), southwest of modern Luxor (ancient Thebes) on the west bank of the Nile, Medamud (ancient Madu) northeast of Luxor, Tod (ancient Greek Tuphium), southwest of Luxor on the eastern bank, and at Karnak which is just northeast of modern Luxor. Most of these cult centers appear to have been established during the Middle Kingdom, with the exception of Karnak. There, the earliest monument dates from the New Kingdom, and specifically to the reign of Amenhotep III.

Onuris (Anher)

Quote:
A god of war and hunting who originated at This (the Thinite region) near Abydos, Anhur (Han-her, Inhert), was more commonly known by his Greek name, Onuris.
Main cult centers were in Abydos and later in the Delta.

Onuris, as a war-like god, was also associated with Montu and Sopedu and had a strong rapport with Horus.

I found more evidence of Onuris in the early 19th dynasty:
Quote:
Minmose /Mnw-ms/, Overseer of prophets of all the gods of Ta-wer (Abydos), First prophet of Onuris, etc., son of Hori /rwj/ (elsewhere Hor/ rw/), First prophet of Onuris, and Inty /Jntjj/ [//]//, headless, with cartouche of Ramesses II and name of Isis, red granite, temp. Ramesses II

Setmose /St-ms/, First prophet of (a) Sobk, (b) Horus in /Shenwet/(?), (c) Onuris, etc., and wife Esinefert /3st-nfrt/, Chief of the harem of Sobk, granite Dyn 19

Onuris was worshipped before, and Montu was still invoked at that time.

I found it interesting that Ramses II seems to have "needed" two Gods of War Cool

It looks to me as though Montu may have been the predominant gor of war before Amenhotep III.

There is some evidence of the fact that Montu had a large estate:
Quote:
Roy /Rjj/, Overseer of the two granaries of Montu in Hermonthis, etc., with upraised arms, dedicated by mother Sit-humay /S3t-mjj/, mentioning brother Akheperkare /3-pr-k3-r /, First royal son of Montu, sandstone, temp. Tuthmosis I or a little later

Djehuti /Dwtj/, Overseer of the treasury of Montu, etc. (probably Theb. tb. 11), dedicated by son Mentunakht /Mntw-nt/, with text mentioning Montu-Re and Thenent in Hermonthis, granodiorite, temp. Hatshepsut to Tuthmosis III

Those were war-like times (early 18th dynasty) and Montu seems to have been the War god of choice then?
sinzi
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, Montu was a predominant war god mostly in the 11th dynasty although i found texts that were mentioning both Montu and Onuris worshipped during Ramses's reign.

Here's an interesting text about Ramses
Quote:

"Victorious king, brave in battle, the powerfull one who combats hundreds of thousants... like Seth at his time of fury... ... a young man, brave like Monthu, saviour of the land..."

But still as you said anneke why did he need two war gods? Which one did he consider more powerfull?
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like you, I had heard of Montu before.
Do you know if he was around before the 11th dynasty?
I don't quite know how old Montu is.

For all I know Onuris (Anher) is very old too.
sinzi
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I tried to find out as much as I could about them but with no succes. I looked into every egyptian mythology book I have and searching the net. All I could find is that they are both very old gods and for surely that Montu was around before the 11th dynasty. In the 11th dynasty he achieved most power. All I could find is that Montu's cult appeared in Hermonthis and Onuris' in This near Abydos. I wonder why there aren't more information about these gods considering the fact that they were worshiped in times of Ramses II. I have some books about Ramses and all of the gods are described and told their importance. These two are hardly mentioned.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: