Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Isis and Aset-are they different goddesses?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Isis and Aset-are they different goddesses? Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this topic's been brought up before but...

Are Isis and Aset different goddesses?

I know, it sounds dumb. Usually, most Egyptologists say Aset was the true Egyptian name for Isis, which is her Latin/Greek (I can never remember which) name. But there's someone I've been chatting with and she believes that Isis and Aset are totally different and seperate goddesses! Shocked She says that Isis was a purely Roman invention and was a 'watered down' version of Aset from Egypt mixed with a huge chunk of Hathor aspects. This made her into a 'fluffy, sugar coated' mother goddess who is a 'corrupted' version of Aset who, according to this person, is a fierce, cold, and dark goddess who didn't really care for the general population of Egypt, just for the royals, and even said that she was not a 'mother goddess' even though that's the role she's most well known for, apart from the wife of osiris aspect, that is.

I think this person's totally wrong though-Isis was not fierce or cold, she was worshipped by loads of non-royal Egyptians, and the Roman isis may be slightly different to her Egyptian version, but they are the same goddess. Aset is just her 'proper name' and Isis is her well known name. This person refuses to even acknowledge her history of worship outside of Egypt, where she enjoyed great reverence, saying that it doesn't count to proper Aset worship. And by saying Isis was fluffy and lovey-dovey is pretty derogatory for this most mighty of goddesses. This person's views of Isis and Aset being seperate are very staunch and narrowminded, in my opinion, and that really irks me.
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be interested in this site.
http://www.philae.nu/akhet/aset.html
A lot of the things said surprises me. I, like you, thought of Isis as a very benevolent goddess. It seems as if that bonevolence was a Roman attribute, that Isis, in her Egyptian personification, was more darkly expressed.
I always thought of her as the beloved wife and sister of Osiris, the apex of female virtue.
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this person was probably quoting from, and extrapolating theories from, that site you mentioned.

Somehow, I don't see Isis as a dark or fierce goddess. Dark seems more like Nephtys, and fierce seems more like Sekhmet. I also saw Isis as benevolent. I still stand by my view that Isis and aset are the same-all the Egyptology and history presents evidence of this.
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my cruising through the internet, looking at various sites describing the Egyptian gods and goddesses, they all say that Isis and Aset were the same goddess. Aset being the Egyptian form of the name Isis. I was surprised, though, at the statement they all made that Aset was a ferocious goddess, known more as the throne of the king than Osiris' sister and wife, which seems to have been a later incarnation.
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that Isis was more known as the wife of Osiris too-as well as the great mother goddess, mother of Horus and great of magic...the most ancient Isis texts talk of these roles, showing that those roles were not invented by Romans. I think that sites sort of twisting facts to try to push the idea that they are different goddesses. But you're right, OsirisII, they are the same.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isisinacrisis, rest assured that Isis and Aset are one in the same. There is no logical debate on that. And it's simple to explain. You're correct on the issue.

The Greeks rendered the name as "Isis." To the Egyptians she was Aset (3st or, as others transliterate it, wst). It is basically the feminine form of the name of her husband, Osiris, also a Greek rendering (the Egyptian is 3sir or wsir). It's similar to other wives and consorts, such as Re and Raet.

Isis wasn't really considered fierce or cold, but she sure had a tempor. She gets pretty nasty in some of the scenes in the Osiris epic, when Horus and Set are battling. The Romans did indeed carry on the cult of Isis back in their country, where worship of her was popular.

There was a temple of Isis, for instance, at Pompeii. The Romans put their own spin on her, about which I have little knowledge myself--I've never been much interested in the Roman civilaztion. I know it's a hideous thing to say, but I wish my local Borders would clear away a few shelves of the tired old Roman books and put up a lot more Egypt books! faroah faroah faroah

Visit my blog!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: