Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What got you interested in Ancient Egypt.....?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ajaya
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject: What got you interested in Ancient Egypt.....? Reply with quote

Hi All,

What got you interested in Ancient Egypt.....?

Personally, I had a casual interest in egyptology for a number of years. Casual in the sense that I bought books about Akhenaten etc... through curiosity. But my now serious interest was ignited in early 2002 during a trip to Luxor.

I found myself in the great hypostyle hall at Karnak at night and the atmosphere and vibe sent shivers through my spine, goosebumps...the lot. Suddenly I felt like I was in a trance...as the all the other tourists melted away from my consciousness leaving me alone with the temple and thousands of years of history.

I guess a spell was cast that day!!

Jay
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a book in the library when I was 14, have been hooked ever since Very Happy

First it was the Amarna period, but lately I find some other periods more and more interesting. Such as the Old Kingdom.
Meresankh
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my case, it just grew out of a general interest in history, really.
Dampwater
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm Egyptian, need I say more ??!!!
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And we all envy Dampwater for that fact! As for myself, I'm about the same as Meresankh. I've always loved ancient history, and some 20 years ago I narrowed it down to ancient Egypt. I still love to read about and study the ancient history of much of the Middle East, including early Biblical history, but nothing does it for me like Egypt! faroah faroah faroah

Visit my blog!
Dampwater
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, it doesn't matter, history doesnt segregate between an Egyptian Egyptologist or an American Egyptologist. But, ever since i was a little boy i always loved temples and egyptian statues. When you see those statues or the huge obelisks or the Hypostyle Hall in real life, u feel this immense rush and pride, its like u can fly, like a trip back in time. To me, its just a part of my ancestry that i feel obliged to learn, and urge every Egyptian to do the same.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
To me, its just a part of my ancestry that i feel obliged to learn, and urge every Egyptian to do the same.

I love how you put that and hope many modern-day Egyptians share the sentiment. I know it may be hard for an Egyptian like you to understand how a humble Egyptophile such as I feels about your nation's ancient heritage. I am speaking from the perspective of someone who's devoted some 20 years to the study of ancient Egypt but who has never actually been able to go to Egypt, and may well never get the chance. You were fortunate to be born in that place and to see the wonders you have seen. To me it is all like a dream.

Quote:
When you see those statues or the huge obelisks or the Hypostyle Hall in real life, u feel this immense rush and pride, its like u can fly, like a trip back in time.

I think that's much like how I would feel, were I fortunate enough to visit some of the great sites of Egypt. I believe there may be something real to the notion that powerful sites of antiquity may hold some energy from the days of long past, and connecting with a place like that today would be, just as you put it so well, a trip back in time!

Visit my blog!
Ajaya
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I believe there may be something real to the notion that powerful sites of antiquity may hold some energy from the days of long past, and connecting with a place like that today would be, just as you put it so well, a trip back in time!

Thats exactly what I felt when I stood in the hypostyle hall in Karnak that night. It was totally majestic, compelling and........well, er....here come those goosebumps again!!!!!

jay
Meritaten
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved to NY when I was a bit over 6 years old in 1980, and began attending the United Nations School. One of the books in the Library was a large format, heavily illustrated book or catalogue for the 1979 Tutankhamen exhibition. I had to wait my turn to borrow it, as it was very much in demand, but once I did it opened up a whole new world. Fortunately my parents and grandmother were very accomodating and used to spend hours taking me to the Met (I remember my father nodding off on a bench there in the Egyptian galleries).

Other interests - particularly maritime history - began to dominate my late teens and early twenties, although I really lost interest in Ancient Egypt. Working around the block from the British Museum rekindled it in full-force!
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(I remember my father nodding off on a bench there in the Egyptian galleries).

Are you sure we're not related somehow? Everyone in my family loves visiting museums except my father. If he doesn't wait for us on a bench and fall asleep, he'll wait for us on a bench and read.

Visit my blog!
Meritaten
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol! He's a sweetheart, and very patient, but he does like his sleep! He was a major influence though - he'd visited Egypt many years before with his mother when he was working as a journo in London, and I grew up with his stories of what he saw there. The oldest Egyptology book I have that has lasted Last weekend I had a bit of an 'issue' with my eyes (woke up nearly blinded and in great pain - spent Friday night in Emergency). Most of Saturday I was on my parent's settee, eyes swollen shut. They indulgently flipped channels until they found an Egyptian doco that I could listen to, even if I couldn't see any of it.

Very self-sacrificing!
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was on my parent's settee, eyes swollen shut. They indulgently flipped channels until they found an Egyptian doco that I could listen to, even if I couldn't see any of it.

Hope you're okay. Allergic reaction to something? Sounds like some sort of anaphylaxis. In any case, there's nothing quite as medicinal as a documentary on ancient Egypt, right? Too bad they couldn't have found a special on Egyptian magic and medicine.

Visit my blog!
Meritaten
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weeeeelllll...I found out that '2 week contacts' does not mean 'three weeks or whenever you happen to remember it's time to switch lenses.' First incident of this kind, as I'm usually fanatical about changing and cleaning them, but I've only recently switched from monthly disposables. There was no discomfort that day, just a bit of cloudiness...

I had swollen, heavy lids when they were finally pried open about 12 hours later, with a heavy use of anaesthetic drops. No infection, thank goodness, and the Doctor in ER had experienced the same thing himself so knew exactly what to do and how to reassure him.

A few charms and amulets wouldn't have gone astray, though!

I notice I utterly garbled my message above - I meant to mention that the oldest book about Egypt that I own, that hasn't been lost in multiple overseas moves, is a book about Tutankhamen that my father gave me for my 10th birthday. I'd almost forgotten about it, but relocated it on the bookshelf after I returned from the UK, and was very surprised to see who the photographer was - the remarkable Bill McQuitty! I had interviewed him regarding his film 'A Night to Remember' a couple of years beforehand - he was a lovely chap who was delighted to talk about his diverse range of interests, but I'd forgotten his interest in Egyptology and it was one topic we didn't touch upon. I was so sorry when I learned he passed away recently - he was such a wonderful, fascinating man.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I meant to mention that the oldest book about Egypt that I own, that hasn't been lost in multiple overseas moves, is a book about Tutankhamen that my father gave me for my 10th birthday.

I was wondering if you were just holding out on me, dropping hints about an old book like that. Do you recall what it is called and who wrote it? Is it an early edition of Carter's book about his excavations? Your interview with McQuitty sounds fascinating. I'll bet that's something you'll never forget.

Now, don't forget to change those two-week contacts at the end of two weeks! Very Happy

Visit my blog!
LMiss_Sunshine
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool idea for a thread Ajaya!

A book got me going when I was very young! I still have it!

It's called Ancient Cities and Civilisations I think!
Other civs were in there too!

That's where it all started then a project in Primary school, then more books and documentaries. My mum and dad bought books on it coz their both ineterested in history. Ancient Egypt's one of many places and time frames I'm interested in. It's a defo fave!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: