Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bast or Bastet
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevin
Admin/Admun/Admen
Admin/Admun/Admen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 10:47 pm    Post subject: Bast or Bastet Reply with quote

Which is the proper name for this goddess?

I believe the proper name is Bast and it was the French who called her Bastet but if anyone can shed some light I would be grateful. Perhaps our newest member Bast can tell me, and welcome to the board!
Djehtinefer
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In George Harts Dictionary of Egyptian Gods and Goddeses he writes her name as Bastet. The Gods of Ancient Egypt by Pascal Vernus and Erich Lessing also concur with Bastet; as does Rosalie David in Religion and Magic n Ancient Egypt.
Jan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the correct name is Bastet, whilst her occult centre was at Bast (Greek - Bulbastis, Present day - Tella Basta) which lies some 60 miles north-east of Cairo.
Bastet means 'She-of-Bast'. Herodotus refers to her temple per-bastet (House of Bastet) and the Festival of Bastet.
Hatshepsu
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope this helps (ty AEL)

Bastet (Bast)
Cat-headed sun goddess.

The town of Bubastis was the cult centre of this solar goddess represented as a woman with a cat's head, or simply as a cat. The goddess holds a sistrum or rattle. She was identified and confused with both Mut and Sekhmet, the lion-headed goddess. Bastet wore an aegis or shield in the form of a semi-circular plate, embellished with a lion's head. She was goddess of pleasure and inevitably became one of the most popular deities. In her temple were kept sacred cats, who were supposed to be incarnations of the goddess. When they died they were carefully mummified. The Egyptians found something to worship in just about every animal they had: dogs, cats, lions, crocodiles, snakes, dung-beetles, hippos, hawks, cows and ibises.

As the daughter of Re she is associated with the rage inherent in the sun-god's eye, his instrument of vengeance. It was probably this ferocity that made the analogy so plausible between Bastet and lioness. Her development into the cat-goddess par excellence, of the Late Period of Egyptian civilization, retains the link with the sun-god but in some ways softens the vicious side of her nature. She becomes a peaceful creature, destroying only vermin, and unlike her leonine form she can be approached fearlessly and stroked. It has been suggested that in one myth the Egyptians saw Bastet's return from Nubia, where she had been sent by Re as a lioness and had raged in isolation, to Egypt in the form of the more placid cat as an explanation of the period of unapproachability in the cycle of menstruation. A tangential evidence that advocates of this theory cite the scenes in New Kingdom tomb paintings at Thebes where a cat is depicted under the lady's chair as a deliberate ploy to indicate that she will always be available for sexual intercourse with the tomb owner in the Afterlife. In her earlies appearances in the Pyramid Era Bastet is a goddess closely linked to the king. A magnificent example of precise engineering in the Old Kingdom, namely the valley temple of King Khafre at Giza, carries on its facade the names of two goddess only- Hathor of Southern Egypt and Bastet of the north. The latter is invoked as a benign royal protectress in the Pyramid Texts where, in a spell to enable him to reach the sky, the king proclaims that his mother and nurse is Bastet. Besides the king, Bastet has a son in the form of the lion-headed god Mihos and is also the mother of a more artifical offspring combining the natures of Nefertum and the child Horus, personifying her connection with perfume and royalty. With the dramatic extension of the roles of deities to assist Egyptian courtiers as well as the pharaoh that we find in the Coffin Texts of the Middle Kingdom, Bastet gives immense protection as first-born daughter of Atum. The aggressive side of Bastet can be seen in historial texts describing the pharaoh in battle. For example, Amenhotep II's enemies are slaughtered like the victims of Bastet along the road cut by the god Amun. From her epithet 'lady of Asheru', the precinct of the goddess Mut at Karnak, it is clear that Bastet had a place on Theban soil where she could be equated with the consort of Amun- especially since the lioness and the cat were also claimed as sacred animals by Mut. Reliefs in the temple of Karnak show the pharaoh celebrating ritual races carrying either four sceptres and a bird or an oar in front of Bastet who is called ruler of 'Sekhet-neter' or the 'Divine Field'- i.e. Egypt.

If there is something wrong with all that please correct me. But i think its just a form of her name. ( i know you didnt ask for all that info.. but Razz lol )
Bast
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sure... Bastet is more common. but Bast is shorter and simpler and I find it better for a nickname Smile
Kevin
Admin/Admun/Admen
Admin/Admun/Admen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought you might be interested in this information I have just found about the pronunciation of this goddesses name:

http://www.per-sekhmet.org/Bast/bastname.html

Kevin
Bast
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you... I ejoyed reading that Smile)))
Very Happy
firepuma
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there

Just joined, and was interested to read the info on Bast/Bastet, and the link's good too. Was just wondering what books people have found about Bast. Noticed one so far, on UK Amazon, about Bast & Sekhmet.

Look forward to reading/replying; great to access links, and see what others thought about books etc.

firepuma
Steve
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

who cares Bast, Bastet Tomato Tomawto lol Ra, Re

its all good

Very Happy
firepuma
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 4:09 pm    Post subject: books.....? Reply with quote

was asking about books!
Amentet_Ermen
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:50 pm    Post subject: Bast or Bastet Reply with quote

All Egyptian Goddess names end with 'et'. It denotes the feminine. Very Happy
Isis
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bastet also means "the soul of Aset". (Aset is the Egyptian name for Isis. Isis is Greek.) Wink
ANEKH HRAK, TUA ATU, TUA ATU, NEBET ISET
almostascribe
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is it in translit
Bast
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

".t" is for female, not "et".
And some goddesses don't end with "et". "Mut", "Nut", "Tefnut".... It's the ".t" that counts, right?
Hatshepsu
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i believe its a vowel then the "t" .. bast ends with a t so i guess theyd have to add the e... but nut already has a u..?? i d unno im sleepy..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: