Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's your specialty?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Fishing for compliments Daniella?

subconciously I probably was, I don't get them often. so thank you
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome Daniella. I for one like having you around. You add an interesting point of view in many cases.

People have talked about how they got started in egyptology, but what about the present. What "projects" are holding you in their grip right now?

My latest obsession is finding out all I can about the necropolis in Saqqara. A lot of work is still being done there, and they are finding info about the old kingdom as well as the new kingdom. The info can be a bit tricky to find on the web and the published works are rather steep in price. But I just find it soooo interesting. It comes back to what Sesen said about learning about the non-royals.
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks.

Right now I am pretty much trying to recreate things. Like clothing and make-up. Obviously I can't do it exactly like the Egyptians did, but I can come close I think. I just purchaced henna for my hair and actually I'm wearing a dab on my cheeks right now to give me a healthy glow.

The paint thing will take some time, but it will be fun. Very Happy
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did they wear henna on their cheeks? Whoa-that must make them really stained looking. I can't remember but didn't they wear henna on thier hands and hair like they do in the middle east today? (I thought the whole henna fad originally began in India, not Egypt, anyway...people do wear it on their hands in Turkey for weddings though)

Be careful with the ancient paints-especially the arsenic containing minerals!
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I watered the henna down a bit so it wouldn't look too harsh.
They did wear it on there lips, hair, cheeks, hands and feet. I'm not crazy about red hair(on me) so I'll pass on putting it in my hair. It doesn't make it completely red but when the sun shines on it it's quite red. I prefer my light ash brown hair the way it is. Smile
I believe that henna originated in Egypt.
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the colour that henna gives my hair but it's so messy to apply...and it takes ages to work, about two hours!!! So I get a 'henna like' colour with synthetic dyes, which may be more damaging to the hair but take much faster...

Hm. I'm a bit doubtful of claims that everything can be traced back to Egypt, much as I'd like to believe it , my mind tends to go for the more conventional origins of things...no offence Daniella, but sometimes such claims are just added to products to give them a certain 'mystique' because 'ancient Egypt is such a magical civilisation' but there's no hard proof for any direct link, so it's speculation. I'm not denying that the Egyptians didn't use henna, they probably did and they certainly do use it in modern Egypt, but didn't they import henna from Asia, where it's use as a dye was started?
Another reason I'm sceptical about the sandal claim is because the sandals in the shops with the so called 'Egyptian' style straps actually have Indian/Asian patterns and beadwork on them or Hawaiian flower prints. Maybe Egypt is more fashionable in Canada than it is here...

Anyway, I'm planning to compile a list of the contributions that ancient Egypt has made to modern day society. It's extraordinarily difficult to find definite things apart from the more obvious things like using pyramids in architecture, or designing buildings to look Egyptian, or horror stories and movies about mummies, or recreating Egyptian art. But i'm interested in the subtleties...it's a little pet project of mine to discover how ancient Egypt has shaped our lives today...and I'm not talking about Egyptmaniacs like me who regularly and intentionally expose themselves to Egyptian influences, it's the only way I can get high Wink
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hm. I'm a bit doubtful of claims that everything can be traced back to Egypt

Did I say everything was traced back to Egypt?...I don't think so. Confused

Quote:
I'm not denying that the Egyptians didn't use henna, they probably did and they certainly do use it in modern Egypt, but didn't they import henna from Asia, where it's use as a dye was started?

If that's the case then maybe the ancient Egyptians were the first to use it as a cosmetic material, you know?
Diorite
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyway, I'm planning to compile a list of the contributions that ancient Egypt has made to modern day society.

I was a captive audience the other day for a woodworking show. The guy built a dresser with an Egyptian inspiration. He said that the Egyptians first used many of the wook-working techniques, like dove-tail joints, veneer, and a few others I don't remember.

Diorite
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isisinacrisis, here's an history of henna for you.
http://www.hennapage.com/henna/history/

It says that the first mention of henna being used comes from the Middle Eastern area.
Dampwater
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I for one like all aspects of Ancient Egypt almost equally. Except that I really like the Period of the New Kingdom and Old Kingdom. What I really like most though is learning and knowing aspects of the day to day life of th average Ancient Egyptian. You know, like waht they used to do, how they spent their time, stuff like that. Also, I like to connect Egypt today and Egypt then, that's cool to me and i like to compare and contrast and connect society between modern and ancient Egypt.
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, I just wanna let you know that I'm sorry for all the rude sounding postings...I'm a bit snappy these days because of real life issues getting me down (exams). So if I'm a bit too blunt on the board, don't worry, it's not targeted at any of you. Very Happy
*hugs*

Daniella, I'm not saying that you said that everything originated in Egypt, but there are some websites/people out there that do. That's all.
btw that website says Egyptians used henna from 1400BC onwards, but that it was used first in Turkey, not Egypt, or India (doh! I was wrong there)

Anyway, about Egypt's contributions to modern society, I never knew about the dovetails or wood techniques...but I do know one thing that is one of ancient Egypt's legacies, and still is extremely popular. I have two of them. It's small, furry, cute, and purrs. :cat:
Apparently, the game of checkers (draughts) was invented in Egypt. Does anyone know more about this? I'm a bit sceptical about this because the newspaper I read this in says the game was originally called something like 'alequerque' which sounds Spanish, not Egyptian.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anneke wrote:
Quote:
To me a person with a genuine interest in the world around them cannot possibly be dumb. Anyone who asks questions and exchanges ideas with others is in my experience "inoculated" against what I would consider dumb.

This could not have been stated any better. Gold star for anneke! Anyone possessing curiosity and the desire to expand one's knowledge is not the least bit "dumb." Such a person is to be admired...and his or her example should be followed.

Quote:
People have talked about how they got started in egyptology, but what about the present. What "projects" are holding you in their grip right now?

Studying hieroglyphs is a key project of mine, as it has been for several years now. Being able to read what the Egyptians wrote opens up whole new horizons. I'm working on a kind of primer of hieroglyphs for my fellow Egyptian-exhibit docents at the Field, including the very basics of the language and translation examples of some of our collection's most popular pieces.

And as I mentioned in my original post, my own favorite field of study is death and burial, so I've earnestly been studying coffins and other burial equipment so I can recognize their period of origin on sight. I've learned just how distinct coffins in particular are based on the period of ancient Egyptian history from which they came. This has led me to a much greater appreciation for the 3rd Intermediate Period. This may have been one of those troubled "intermediate" times in the Two Lands, but in my opinion some of the most beautiful funerary artwork of common people derives from this period. The coffins from this time are often stunning.

Quote:
Oh boy I'm not any smarter than any of you. And here I am thinking I'm rather weak in the areas of mythology and linguistics

We all have our strenghts in the study of ancient Egypt. But at the risk of making things even more maudlin, I sincerely do admire your knowledge of the royals and the courtiers. I'm weak in that area and never can seem to catch up. Do you have any idea how much of an asset you'd be as a docent at a museum! And do you have any idea how much you teach the rest of us about the royals and courtiers! I'd bring you apples for your desk every day if I could figure out how to e-mail them.

Man, is my nose turning brown. I'd better stop before my nostrils fill up. Shocked But I mean what I say. Thanks, anneke.

Daniella wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Fishing for compliments Daniella?
subconciously I probably was, I don't get them often. so thank you

No need to put yourself down, girl. You make things fun here, and your questions about Egyptian cosmetics and the like have caused me to expand my own research a bit. I didn't know ancient cosmetics could be so interesting, but they are! So your questions have helped me to learn, and in so doing you have helped me to be a better-informed docent at the museum, because not surprisingly lots of women ask about cosmetics and perfumes and those beautiful tiny unguent vessels. Thanks for that. Very Happy

isisinacrisis wrote:
Quote:
First of all, I just wanna let you know that I'm sorry for all the rude sounding postings...I'm a bit snappy these days because of real life issues getting me down (exams).

This will probably sound quite twisted and preverse to you, but oh how I envy you! I miss those school days. If I were stinking rich, I'd do nothing but go to college and learn and learn and learn. Yes, I hate exams myself, but most of the other stuff is great.

Quote:
Apparently, the game of checkers (draughts) was invented in Egypt. Does anyone know more about this?

I've read that chess and hence checkers come from Mesopotamia--whether from the Sumerians or Assyrians or Babylonian, however, I can't say. I understand that the Egyptian game called Senet led to later board games like backgammon. We have a little Senet game at the museum which people can play, and I enjoy teaching it to kids, but it would be a whole lot more enjoyable if people would stop stealing all of the playing pieces! Mad

Diorite wrote:
Quote:
I was a captive audience the other day for a woodworking show. The guy built a dresser with an Egyptian inspiration. He said that the Egyptians first used many of the wook-working techniques, like dove-tail joints, veneer, and a few others I don't remember.

This goes back to my study of Egyptian coffins, for you see just about all woodworking and carpentry techniques on these. Modern woodworkers often comment in suprise on how skillful the Egyptians were. They could do with their chisels and saws and lathes what any modern carpenter could do with his up to the invention of power tools...and often much better!

Ahhh, craftsmanship. They just don't build 'em like they used to.

When I die I want a beautifully ornate cartonnage inner coffin and a lovely cedar outer coffin, though this might be a bit expensive. I am accepting donations at this time. Very Happy

Visit my blog!
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No need to put yourself down, girl. You make things fun here

Thank you. Smile
Shepenmut
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My interests are Religion, Gods and Goddess. Smile
queencleopatra
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...my intrests are probably anything historical, Cleopatra VII, theatre and film. But I don't really think that I stick out, I just sort of "blend in with the crowd".

Cleopatra's Note
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: