Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Modren Egyptian Stamps

View previous topic :: View next topic  
superm
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Modren Egyptian Stamps Reply with quote

Modern Egyptian Stamps,

I was wondering if anyone had any used or unsed stamps from modren Egypt. You see i have a collection starting from stamps around the world, and thought it would be awesome to have a few from egypt since i totally love learning about egypt. I will send a SASE to anyone who is willing to donate some stamps to my new hobby. If your interseted Private Message me.

P.S. I'll also take stamps from anywhere! Very Happy

"Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autum moon shines bright..."
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giving out your address to strangers on a website is an extremely bad idea.
Kevin
Admin/Admun/Admen
Admin/Admun/Admen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can probably get you as many modern Egyptian stamps as you want. I have a supplier based in Egypt so if you want stamps I can ask. Let me know.
Dampwater
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh my goodness, Daniella, u just posted in the right website. I just happen to have one of the hugest (this statement has no evidence whatsoever) collection of mainly Egyptian, but also international stamps. It was a huge collection IMO of maybe 600-1000 stamps passed from my grandfather, to my father (who added most of it) , then to my cousin, then me. Unfortunately, i left it where it should be, in Egypt. I never took any of my photos albums or this stamp book with me to America. Its so sad tho, i have no memories of home whatsoever. I am positive thought that this stampbook has evey single modern Egyptian stamp from probably as far as 1950's.

Sorry that this piece of information is irrelevant to u, simply because the stamp collection isn't with me now. And for the fact that i wouldn't really sell or give any of the stamps away as i feel it has a little heritage or quasi-family pride kinda thing. You'd be amazed at how many stamps modern Egypt has to offer. We have had stamps with ancient egyptian art (many) and some of artists (Om Kolthoum, Abdel Halim and much more) as well as presidents (Abdel Nasser, Sadat, etc.) and also some writers (Taha Hussein) and some others are just the Egyptian flag and nationalistic logos. The most interesting though are the ones from 1970 to 1975 because that was the time when Egypt and Syria united as one country called United Arab Republic.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dampwater wrote:
The most interesting though are the ones from 1970 to 1975 because that was the time when Egypt and Syria united as one country called United Arab Republic.

I did not know about that. I actually got interested enough to do a search. The info I got has slightly different dates though. I somehow expected it to be under the rule of Nasser. From what little I know he seemed like a person who could actually pull something like this off.
Fascinating.

"United Arab Republic   
political union (1958-61) of Egypt and Syria . The capital was Cairo. The two countries were merged (1958) into a single unit comprising the Southern (Egypt) and the Northern (Syria) Regions, with Gamal Abdal Nasser as president. As an initial step toward creating a pan-Arab union, the republic abolished Syrian and Egyptian citizenship, termed its inhabitants Arabs, and called the country “Arab territory.” It considered the Arab homeland to be the entire area between the Persian Gulf and the Atlantic coast. With Yemen (North Yemen), it formed (1958) a loose federation called the United Arab States. In 1961, Syria withdrew from the union after a military coup, and Yemen soon followed, thus ending the union. Egypt continued to use the name until 1971. "
Dampwater
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anneke wrote:
Dampwater wrote:
The most interesting though are the ones from 1970 to 1975 because that was the time when Egypt and Syria united as one country called United Arab Republic.

I did not know about that. I actually got interested enough to do a search. The info I got has slightly different dates though. I somehow expected it to be under the rule of Nasser. From what little I know he seemed like a person who could actually pull something like this off. "

dammit, i knew i was off, i just kinda got confused, thats so stupid of me though, i mean Nasser died in 1970. I should kill myself. I'm supposed to know everything about modern egyptian history. Ah, just a slip of th mind, althoughi knew the original date. But it is interesting though, no ? I mean this is like Canada and USA becoming one country. It was literally one country u know, we had the same currency (which i have souveneirs of) , we had a common flag, anthem, capital, president, everything, that was cool. I wish it was still there, but oh well. Nasser's Nationalism went down the drain as he died, he was a great man.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Syria and its people would probably be much better off today if it and they were part of Egypt.

Visit my blog!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: