Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

christian jacq books

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HARRYMON
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:43 pm    Post subject: christian jacq books Reply with quote

as much as i enjoy educational and reliable history,such as nicholas reeves,carter,british museum publications and kent weeks etc,i must say that christian jacq must have introduced many ,many readers to the pleasures and mysteries of ancient egypt.
as a discussion point lets talk about his contribution to egyptian fiction,all right the ramses series was factually stretched,but as an attraction it was amazing,the stand alone black pharoah was great as was the place of the truth,in my opinion,so tell me how you all feel.
Ari
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

as much as i enjoy educational and reliable history,such as nicholas reeves,carter,british museum publications and kent weeks etc,i must say that christian jacq must have introduced many ,many readers to the pleasures and mysteries of ancient egypt.
as a discussion point lets talk about his contribution to egyptian fiction,all right the ramses series was factually stretched,but as an attraction it was amazing,the stand alone black pharoah was great as was the place of the truth,in my opinion,so tell me how you all feel.

You hit the proverbial nail in the head! I enjoyed the Ramses and Stone of Light series immensely, what a fantastic piece of fiction they both were.. I also read the Tutankhamun Affair, which was captivating reading, although needs also to be taken with a pinch of salt, if not a spoonful as far as the facts go.

One thing that seems interesting in his books is how he intentionally stereotypes all his characters, and this is not a bad thing. For instance his portrayal of ruling women, and women in general, always seems to fall into the same pattern, they are immensely beautiful, enchanting, and possess almost magical quality of being strong but reserved and harmonious at the same time, He tries to paint a perfect woman and succeeds rather well Wink.
The same is true of his images of the Pharaoh, incredible inner strength, magical ability to master everything they take on etc. Also his other main characters seem to be almost super human when needed.
The bad guys are always utterly bad, with weaknesses that render them blind to the "realities" of truly governing the Land. Each book also seems to have an "anti-woman", thoroughly evil, with insatiable lust for murder and sex, preferably in the same context.
All this makes for very easy reading, leads to well ordered view of the world. it is easy to trust the good guys, knowing that they can always pull through or at least their ultimate sacrifice is not in vain. Also the bad guys always get what is coming to them.
Ok, so factually they are stretched and sometimes even more than stretched, they are downright speculative. But this does not bother me, they are meant to be fiction and as such they must be among the most entertainning reading I have ever read. Wife here agrees! Smile
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering the number of books he has sold, I just know I'm in the minority here, but I can't stand his books.

I think they are quite dreadful. The characters are two dimensional, and I don't like the story lines. I have the first volume of the Ramses series, and I can't even manage to finish that one. I also have the first volume about the end of the 17th dynasty featuring Ahhotep. I'm using that one as a door stop........

If anyone in the continental US or Canada wants my copies, let me know and I would quite happily part with them.

Give me a Pauline Gedge book any day. I love her novels. She does her research (can't say that about Jacq) and writes captivating stories.
My favorites:
Child of the Morning (Hatshepsut)
The Twelfth transforming (Akhenaten and Nefertiti)
The Lady of the Reeds and House of Illusions (Ramses III and the Harem conspiracy)
The Hippopotamus March, The Oasis, and The Horus Road (Kamose, Amose and the Expulsion of the Hyksos)

But hey, difference in tastes make the book publishers very happy Very Happy
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If anyone in the continental US or Canada wants my copies, let me know and I would quite happily part with them.

Word of warning: I'm going to be out of town the next week. So if I don't respond to any comments or requests, I'm not "shining you on". Very Happy
dingirfecho
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!
I love the C.Jacq's books! The Stone and the Judge series are a great read, and while a little too d&d at times, they are entretaining nontheless.
By the by, has anyone read "Warlock" by W.Smith? It reminds me a little of the second Judge novel (the law of the desert), but with the D&D quotient to the max...
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D&D? what's that? You don't mean dungeons and dragons do you? Laughing
I don't play it so I ain't familiar with it.

I have read the first Ramses book-but it was aaages ago, but I quite liked it.
I did start to read Warlock some time ago but I was shocked at how...erm, graphic it was Laughing I was so young at the time. I'm reading River God now.

I've never heard of Gedge. I don't think they sell her books in the UK, but I'd like to read them.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked at amazon.co.uk and they definitely sell the Pauline Gedge books there.
I recommend them. If you can get child of the morning (about Hatshepsut), then you should read that one Wink

The trilogy about Kamose/Ahmose/Ahmose-Nefertari etc is also very good
(the Oasis, the Horus road, can't remember the other title. something with a hippo I think)
dingirfecho
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isisinacrisis wrote:
D&D? what's that? You don't mean dungeons and dragons do you? Laughing
I don't play it so I ain't familiar with it.

I have read the first Ramses book-but it was aaages ago, but I quite liked it.
I did start to read Warlock some time ago but I was shocked at how...erm, graphic it was Laughing I was so young at the time. I'm reading River God now.

I've never heard of Gedge. I don't think they sell her books in the UK, but I'd like to read them.

I'm afraid that I really meant the Dungeons & Dragons...there's this part where Taita calls down a storm from the heavens...or teleports around the place.... Very Happy

River God is quite a good book...Right now, I'm in the middle of "The Egiptologist"...quite a good read.
Meritaten
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Ari"][quote]

One thing that seems interesting in his books is how he intentionally stereotypes all his characters, and this is not a bad thing. For instance his portrayal of ruling women, and women in general, always seems to fall into the same pattern, they are immensely beautiful, enchanting, and possess almost magical quality of being strong but reserved and harmonious at the same time, He tries to paint a perfect woman and succeeds rather well Wink.[\quote]
Lol! I was in danger of eyestrain from too much eye-rolling when I first picked up his Queen of Freedom trilogy. Bought it at the airport to read on a flight recently, and if I'd read just one more passage raving about how beautiful/brave/noble/heroic Ahhotep was, I'd have pitched it down the aisle.

I love strong heroines, but I like 'em to be...well...human. Give me someone who *sometimes* blunders, who *sometimes* loses their temper, who acts occasionally from an ignoble motive, and who has the odd blemish on their complexion! She was as stylised as an Egyptian tomb mural - very lovely, but very inhuman. Not a character to relate to, identify with or even admire, except as a remote caricature.

I'd have loved to see a hard, clever, cunning, strong Ahhotep - politically shrewd, a bit battle-worn and tough as nails. Even a bit frightening, even to those fighting by her side. Flawless heroes don't do too much for me. I find them dull.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: