Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bugs, Spiders, Scorpions etc
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camel Spiders are real spiders but also the source of many urban legends. There are photographs of these creatures from Iraq showing them in some sort of false perspective which makes them look much larger than they are Very Happy

They have also attched all kind of gory myths to them Laughing LAy thier eggs in your eye. Are flesh eating. Making screaming noises while running at speeds of 25 mph, etc.

There's a page on a site listing urban legends and showing some of the pictures:
http://www.snopes.com/photos/bugs/camelspider.asp

The sleeve on the right shows the actual size, and the leg behind the spider makes it look several times larger than it actually is Laughing
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I'm stupid, the least deadliest scorpion is the largest (Emperor Scprpion) and the most deadliest scorpions live in Egypt and Mexico. They are the yellow ones.
The link that Anneke provided was so cool, you all have to chack out the video at the bottom of the page. It's quite fascinating how the darn thing scoops the sand, it;s so cool. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm surprised that camel spiders *shudder* haven't been mentioned. Oh dear, now I've mentioned it. That's one of the few things putting me off going to Egypt...

Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised

Now look what you've done, isisinacrisis! That same photo in anneke's link was posted a long time ago in the Travel forum, and I'd never heard of camel spiders before, so I wasn't sure what to expect. The photo alone scared the hell out of me! What a hideous creature!

Even at actual size the camel spider is WAAAAY too big for me. I just know I'm going to be dreaming about spiders tonight. Now, that video on anneke's page was interesting to watch, but it's disturbing how fast those critters can run. The people who made The Mummy got it all wrong...camel spiders are a lot scarier than any scarab!

Can you just picture exploring some old tomb? You see a crack among the limestone-wall reliefs, and from the darkness you spot the glint of something gold. So you reach your hand way into the crack and pull out some ancient amulet, and from your sleeve is hanging a CAMEL SPIDER!

Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised

Give me snakes and scarabs any time!

Visit my blog!
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can you just picture exploring some old tomb? You see a crack among the limestone-wall reliefs, and from the darkness you spot the glint of something gold. So you reach your hand way into the crack and pull out some ancient amulet, and from your sleeve is hanging a CAMEL SPIDER!

Surprised Gross! Now imagine it crawling up your sleeve! Shocked I found it creepy how it runs, it's abdomen sticks straight up in the air as does the front legs. yuck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: