Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More Thracian Treasure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:06 am    Post subject: More Thracian Treasure Reply with quote

Just noticed this news item about yet another treasure unearthed in Bulgaria. Archeologists have unearthed several tombs in the recent past.

Quote:
Golden Treasure Unearthed in Bulgaria
By NEVYANA HADJIYSKA, Associated Press Writer 1 hour, 5 minutes ago

SOFIA, Bulgaria - Archaeologists have unearthed a 2,400-year old golden treasure in an ancient Thracian tomb in eastern Bulgaria, the director of the country's History Museum said Monday.

The gold-rich burial was discovered late on Saturday by a team of archaeologists, working on excavations near the village of Zlatinitsa, some 290 kilometers (180 miles) east of the capital, Sofia.

The most impressive finds included a golden ring and wreath, finely crafted silver rhytons, or horn-shaped drinking vessels, and many golden and silver pieces of armor and horse trappings, Prof. Bozhidar Dimitrov told the Associated Press in a telephone interview.

"This was an extremely rich funeral, suggesting that the buried man could have been a Thracian king," Dimitrov said. "Although he was not buried according to Thracian traditions, all objects of art bear Thracian imagery."

The king's body was laid in a huge wood-paneled pit together with two horses and a dog, while Thracian kings were usually buried in vast stone tombs under huge earth mounds.

The Thracians lived in what is now Bulgaria and parts of modern Greece, Romania, Macedonia and Turkey from 4,000 B.C. to the 8th century A.D., when they were assimilated by the invading Slavs.

"Greek pottery that was also found in the tomb helped us safely date the whole burial to 360-370 B.C.," Dimitrov said.

According to a hypothesis, the newly discovered tomb could have been that of the Thracian governor Seutus, who declared himself king and used Greek mercenaries to oppress local Thracian tribes. His governance was described by the ancient Greek chronicler Xenophontes, Dimitrov said.

"Excavations continue, and new finds literally pop out every 10 minutes," Dimitrov said.

Thousands of Thracian mounds are spread throughout Bulgaria, and archaeological finds suggest that the Thracians established a powerful kingdom in the 5th century B.C. One of their capitals appeared to be the ancient city of Seutopolis, the ruins of which are now drowned under a large artificial lake near the town of Kazanlak, 200 kilometers (120 miles) east of Sofia.

Despite numerous archaeological discoveries, little is known about Thracian rulers, because no inscriptions have been found. Thracians had no alphabet and apparently refused to use Greek letters, Dimitrov said.

Last year, another archaeological expedition discovered two vast Thracian tombs in the Kazanlak region, prompting archaeologists to name it "the Valley of Thracian Kings" in reference to the Valley of Kings near Luxor, Egypt, home to the tombs of Egyptian Pharaohs. A 2,400-year-old golden mask was found then, along with many golden artifacts.

link to original article

On the original page is a nice picture of a golden wreath of laurels.
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Belgian in October 2002 until January 2003 there was a exhibition about the Traciƫrs, someone of my family gives my the book of the exhibition as a new year present. The litlle bit that I now from them is that they have very beautiful jewelry,especially their rythons in gold are of a high quality. I'f I remember me well, The Greeks and the Romens found them (I dont know how to say it in English barbaren).
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever they show the items on the internet, the items are very beautiful They must have had some very skilled craftsmen.
Very Happy I think the Romans pretty much called everyone a barbarian didn't they? Not unlike the egyptians in that sense. They also considered all other people to be barbarians from what I have read.

<I spreek nog steeds Nederlands, dus wat Nederlandese woorden hier en daar maakt niets uit. Niet dat het nodig lijkt te zijn. Je engels is prima Wink >
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Smile It's the first time I ever been on a forum to discuss ,but my 17 year old daughter gives my a push in the back. I have been several times on this forum as a guest and I found yours and the others their info about Egypt good.
About the Romans I have followed several studies from The University of Leuven , last spring a followed a study about Cicero,I found it interesting but my daughter who followed at school classical studies Latijn -Wiskunde found him boring and dont understand why I do this in my free time .
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad your daughter gave you that little push in the back you needed Smile
It's always fun talking to a well-read, informed person. It's nice to have you here.

It's great that you can take these courses in Leuven. My own university doesn't really have many courses dealing with antiquity. But I really should keep an eye out. You never know if they decide to do a special course.
Not that anything extra fits into my schedule right now Confused
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: