Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Palace

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: The Palace Reply with quote

I was just reading a book by N De G. Davies and the book contains these wonderful inkdrawings of the balcony scenes where the royals hand out awards. Usually in books the focus is on the royal family.

The scenes around them are actually really fascinating. They depict scenes from the interior of the palace.
There are some scenes which are referred to as "the harem":

Sorry about the quality of the pictures Sad

These scenes are interesting because they show what seem to be guards (or attendants) before the doors of the individual apartments.
The "suites" seem to consist of a pillared hall with some storage rooms off this hall?

The author mentions that the scenes show regular egyptian women as well as some women dressed as Syrians. The hair do of the women in the top registers together with their flounced (3-layered) dresses identify them as Syrian. Tha author also thinks that this may be some evidence of the existence of Tadukhepa at the Amarna Court.

I also love the scenes where servants seem to be preparing rooms for a banquet:

Here you see tables stacked with food with the two chairs/thrones on either side Very Happy Looks like there is plenty of wine there too....

There are many more scenes like this. There is also one where there seems to be some indication of the wall decorations.
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 3 books of N De G Davies The Rock Tombs of Amarna, they are a 2004 reprint. The scenes from your photos are from the tomb of Ay -north wall - doorway. I find the scenes in the tomb of Ma├┐ also very good, they show the quay of Akhetaten.
These books are so informative , they show life in and around the palace,
rewarding scenes, the scenes of the durbar, the temples where King and Queen making offerings.... Are your pictures from these books to ?
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they are from the same books. I only have one so far, but I will definitely buy the other 2 as well. I agree with you they are really informative and great fun to read. The illustrations are great.

I noticed the picture of the Quay as well. That's a great image.
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote : Looks there is plenty of wine there too.....

Some ancient scenes are quite graphic in their depiction of over-indulgence .
For instance, in the tomb of Pahari an elegant lady is shown presenting her cup to a servant and saying "give me eighteen measures of wine , behold I should love (to drink) to drunkeness .

Another woman asked for "18 cups of wine for my insides are as dry as straw !" Very Happy
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I had read that about the woman in Peheri's tomb.

Someone else mentioned that there is a tomb where a guest in a banquet over endulged so much that they are shown throwing up Shocked
I can't remember where that is though.

Funny that both quotes you gave mention the number 18. I wonder why that number is mentioned specifically.

LOL I also hope they watered down their wine. I would be under the table after about 5 glasses of wine I think. Not sure I would ever make it to 18...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: