Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mummy on the RMS Titanic

View previous topic :: View next topic  
teamtunafish
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Mummy on the RMS Titanic Reply with quote

Is anyone here familiar with the mummy on the Titanic, supposedly cursed, that "caused" the ship to go down?
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's just an urban legend. I don't think there's any truth in it. (Sorry if I sound too blunt and sceptical.)

I'm not sure if there was a mummy on titanic though. There might have been. But I don't think it was cursed and I don't think any curse caused Titanic to get iceberg'd.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's apparently a story that was made up.
The shipping records show no mummy was on the Titanic.

I read somewhere:

Quote:
The tale probably has its origins with two Englishmen named Douglas Murray and T.W. Stead. Murray and Stead claimed that an acquaintance of theirs bought a mummy in Egypt and had it placed in a drawing room in his home. The next morning every breakable item in the room had been smashed. The next night the mummy was left in another room with the same results..
The pair also visited the British Museum and saw the coffin lid of Priestess Amun (there wasn't ever a mummy, only the lid). They decided that the face depicted on it was a tormented horror. Combining the two stories, that of the breakable items and the scary lid, the two sold the tale to the newspapers. The tale later grew to include the Titanic.

Seems to have been one of those urban legends.

The Titanic part of the story may be an adaptation of the sinking of the sarcophagus of Menkaure:
Quote:
The Titanic portion of the story may have been inspired by the loss of the Menkaure sarcophagus in 1838. The sarcophagus, which was being shipped from Egypt to England, was considered to be one of the finest examples of art from the Old Kingdom period. It went to the bottom of the sea when the ship carrying it, The Beatrice, sunk in deep water somewhere near Cartagena.

there is a site about urban legends and there's a whole page about this one Very Happy
http://www.snopes.com/horrors/ghosts/mummy.htm
teamtunafish
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why am I not surprised?
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I came across the same information, anneke. I don't believe there was even a mummy on the Titanic (another moment in history that fascinates me, the Titanic). I remember reading about (or seeing it in a TV special) the coffin lid in the British Museum which was supposedly cursed, and it became somehow connected with the sinking of the Titanic even though it has not left the B.M. since it was first installed there.

Visit my blog!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mummification All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: