Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

rome or egypt
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ben41193
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject: rome or egypt Reply with quote

who was better rome or egypt and why
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they were just different. It's bit like comparing apples and oranges I think.
Rome has a very interesting history as well, but I think most people here would like Egypt better. It's an egyptian discussion board after all.
ben41193
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first off i personaly do not realy belong on this forum i am more a roman enthusiast than a egyptoligist i do however know much about egypt because at one time i did want to be an egyptoligist so i probalby have a biased opinion but i think rome would win any day although egypt was great they had far to many flaws to comapre to rome. Egypt just doesent compare for me and i somtimes think it is ufare to comare them because its as unfair as a super featherweight vs a super heavy weaight. And yes i do realize people are gonna hate me for this post but its just my opinion rome beats egypt any day. dont worry though egypt still blows those pediphile greeks out of the watter
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I don't think people will be upset at all.

It's hard to say why people become fascinated with one culture over another. Some are into Irish history, others the vikings, some Rome, etc.

Any particular part of Roman history you really enjoy?
Kevin
Admin/Admun/Admen
Admin/Admun/Admen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ben41193 wrote:
rome beats egypt any day.
Can you explain why you think that. I am not agreeing or disagreeing. It's just I like to have people justify their thinking so we can discuss our opinions Smile The world changes every day - one great civilisation exists today and tomorrow another takes over - but by what do we base the greatness? When ancient Egyptian civilisation was developing was Rome as great? At Rome's height was Egypt as great? The answer to both is no - they were at different development periods - so how do we judge who is the greatest?
Kevin
Admin/Admun/Admen
Admin/Admun/Admen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ben41193 wrote:
first off i personaly do not realy belong on this forum
And, yes, you do - that is a valid point of view Wink
ben41193
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Egypt was a flawd sacity i personaly think there written language was a joke. Rome had its flaws but none as seriouse as a egypts. i KNOW I ONLY POSTED 1 reason but thats because im being rushed. I love all aspects of roman civilization. I also would like to say that i meant at there peaks who was better both at the peak of there power
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The egyptian written language (what is left) was quite sophisticated. There were poems, stories, they recorded their history etc.

Their scientific achievements were also quite amazing.

I still don't see what you mean by "serious flaws" of the egyptians. Considering that their culture existed for some 3000 years, these "flaws" cannot have been that bad.

And to our knowledge there are no completely insane rulers such as Nero and Caligula in Egypt Wink
Meresankh
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ben41193 wrote:
Egypt was a flawd sacity i personaly think there written language was a joke. Rome had its flaws but none as seriouse as a egypts. i KNOW I ONLY POSTED 1 reason but thats because im being rushed. I love all aspects of roman civilization. I also would like to say that i meant at there peaks who was better both at the peak of there power

Hello, I haven't had much opportunity to post here for quite a while, but this post is so extraordinary, I just have to chip in. I also find Roman history fascinating, but i've got to admit, it's also quite repulsive too, and I think if I'd been given a choice between living in the Roman Empire and Egypt at its height, I'd have chosen the latter. What actually are these serious flaws you find in Egyptian civilisation in comparison to Roman? For instance, Egypt was less militaristic. Roman culture was massively slave-owning, with maybe even half the population slaves, and this was real chattel slavery too. Slavery does not seem to have ever been widespread in Egypt, and was more in the form of indentured servitude than anything else.And they don't seem to have regarded the slaughter of humans and animals as a form of public entertainment. So what are your criteria of what constitutes "serious flaws"?

Also, I don't understand why you think the written language was a joke. Certainly the hieroglyphic system of writing was less efficient than the alpahbetic. The language itself, of course, is neither better nor worse than any other language.

Sorry, I really find what you've written astonishing, and I can't help but wonder exactly what you mean.
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it me, or do you find ben's posts a bit offensive and immature in tone?

I mean, I don't understand why he thinks Egypt is flawed and why the Egyptian language is a joke either.

Sure everyone has their preferred historical periods but that's no reason to insult the others.

And calling the Greeks paedophiles is also taking it a bit too far.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He said he was 15 when he introduced himself Wink

Maybe he will explain what he was thinking when he wrote his previous posts? In a polite manner..... Very Happy
teamtunafish
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anneke wrote:
He said he was 15 when he introduced himself Wink

Maybe he will explain what he was thinking when he wrote his previous posts? In a polite manner..... Very Happy

And maybe spelled better, with capitalization and puctuation so I can understand what he's trying to say...

Ben, when people say this, we're not putting you down and/or being mean. The purpose of writing is communication, and after a while, people will simply ignore posts that are unpunctuated and misspelled.
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I believe he said he was only 12, in my eyes that's a child. And I think you are all too hard on him. I think before you go and criticise people you should make sure that they are not children. Rolling Eyes
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that given what he has written, we have been fairly nice.
Even at 12 he should know that people are going to raise some eyebrows if you're going to make such extreme remarks.
No one really jumped on him or anything, we just asked him to explain himself.

So I think that rolling your eyes at us is a tad over the top on your part.
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before someone makes such a claim such as 'Ancient Egypt is seriously flawed', they should explain exactly why Egypt is flawed? Otherwise we are all confused.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: