Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New book about Luxor by Kent Weeks?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:27 am    Post subject: New book about Luxor by Kent Weeks? Reply with quote

I just saw a review online:

Quote:
The Illustrated Guide to Luxor Tombs, Temples, and Museums
by Kent R. Weeks

This book is much more than just a guide to the sites of the ancient city of Luxor. It includes, in extensive detail, information about the tombs and temples of certain areas that are unavailable in regular guidebooks. Every single page features at least one illustration — ranging from maps, photographs, paintings and drawings — corresponding to the respective site being discussed. The guide is organized by monument, and the sites on the West Bank of the Nile are ordered chronologically by type (temple, royal tomb, private tomb). The information is easy to follow and a glossary of Egyptology terms is included to further help the reader. It is ideal for any traveler wishing to obtain a deeper understanding of the area, but can be equally enjoyed by those who only dream of visiting Luxor.

It sounds really interesting.
The book is also listed here on amazon.com.
The publication date is listed as June 30 2005, but the book doesn't seem to be available yet.

Kent Weeks apparently also has a book that is due out next week.

This one is named Luxor and the Valley of the Kings

Quote:

From the Inside Flap
Here is a thorough, easy-to-use guide to the vast and stunning collection of art and antiquities found in Egypt's archaeological paradise, the Valley of the Kings. The Tomb of Tutankhamun and its contents are featured prominently, as are the temples of Luxor and Karnak, the dromos, the Luxor Museum, the Chapel of Achoris, the Valley of Asasif, the Ramesseum, the Valley of the Queens, and the Colossi of Memnon. Dendera, Esna, Abydos Edfu, and Korn Ombo-all peripheral locations to the major sites-are included because their state of preservation makes them especially interesting for visitors and scholars. Weeks has spent his career documenting the regions and infuses this guide with a level of clarity and detail not previously achieved in a handbook.

This one sounds interesting as well:
Second book listed at Amazon.com

Anyone heard more about these books?
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL That Amazon link sure is helpful, isn't it? I searched some sites that I've used and couldn't even find it. It's possible the release date was postponed for some reason.

They both look like fascinating books. I have some time off and next week and have been saving up some mad money for the book shop at the Oriental Institute (another place with significant drool factor Very Happy ). I'll see if they have it on the shelves yet. I know we don't at the Field. Anything by Kent Weeks grabs my attention--his book on his work in KV5 is one of my favorites.

Visit my blog!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: