Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A comic book about the Amarna period?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: A comic book about the Amarna period? Reply with quote

I just accidentally came upon this review of a comic book.
It sounds hilarious. Riddled with historical inaccuracies but it sounds like a fun book anyways Very Happy

From the reviewer:
Quote:

Nofret in "Kiya" 

by Sussi Bech

I wasn't going to review this, but unfortunately it proved irresistible. Womankind cannot live on the Oxford History of Ancient Egypt alone. This is one of an astonishing number of comic strip books produced by Danish illustrator Sussi Bech about Nofret, a sort of Mata Hari figure lurching from bad hair day to bad hair day in the ancient world. One day she's bedding a humble fisherman; the next in the arms of the most powerful monarch on earth, Akhenaten. I blame Ancient Cosmopolitan magazine myself: "A single girl in ancient Egypt, Nofret often finds a hard time (sic) to adapt to the rules of the male dominated society."

Strewth. I thought relationships within the Amarna period were convoluted enough without the following additions to our knowledge: "The two Cretan prinsesses (sic -OK, so we all make mistakes) Nofret and Kiya are abducted by Syrian pirates....years later they are reunited in Egypt - Nofret is now a high priestess at the Temple of Amun and Kiya is Pharaoh Akhe-naten's second wife and mother of Tutankhaten, Pharaoh's only son... during their stay Kiya is murdered by an assassin hired by chief advisor Ay...Kiya's loyal servants keep the murder a secret [and] Nofret is talked into playing the role of her dead sister..."

We're firmly in the realm of the Charlie's Angels school of history here. Girl power! There's lots of cutesy wigs, bottom waggling, green eyeshadow (and that's just Ay) and lolling by poolsides in see-through frocks that keep slipping off at embarrassing moments (but it's all done in the best POSSIBLE taste). And here's a flouncy bit of dialogue: "If your highness has hopes of getting Pharao's (sic) attention, we really need to clean up these cuticles!" "What do you take me for? A cheap concubine bought at the local flea market? I am of royal minoan (sic) lineage! If Pharao wants to see me, HE can come here!"

I learned such a lot about ancient Egypt from this well-illustrated history. Things I've needed to know for a long, long time. Like the ancient Egyptian preference for the missionary position (the god Amun in ram-mode excepted), the fact that we've been spelling the name "pharaoh" wrong for ever, that Crete exported silly fillies (page 41) and the right way to harness up horses to a chariot. (Oh no, it isn't.) And what nice folks Akhenaten and Nefertiti were, murders, incest and iconoclasm apart. And today's tip for success and still the best way to get on in the ancient world: marry a god.

What is really weird is that the translator has stuck strictly to the subjunctive form, where required, throughout, giving such classics as "Piece of cake! I made them believe, that I once were Pharaoh's wife's faithful servant." Yes, once I were the Queen of Sheba. But the soft furnishings are fabulous, darling.

So, just a load of Apis bull, then? Are you kidding? Would that I had thought of it.

MAB

Nofret: Kiya by Sussi Bech is published by Eudor Comics. ISBN 87987796. No price available at time of going to press.

http://www.ancientegyptmagazine.com/reviews06.htm

Any of you happen to read this?
LOL Would you admit to it? Laughing
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never read it, but I kinda want to Embarassed
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest: so do I Laughing

I actually looked for it on the web. The original comic book was written in Danish. It has been translated into English, but I don't think it's for sale in the US/Canada.
I also checked the UK version of amazon.com and they don't have it either.

There is another comic book by the same author about Aida, but that's not available (yet?) either.
Meritaten
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I. Want. Now.

Right...off in quest of this masterpiece....
Meritaten
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few preview pages here:

http://www.seriejournalen.dk/auktion/product_desc.php?id=129
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh, anneke, so this is what you've studied to gain your impressive command of ancient Egypt? Very Happy (Just kidding...please don't hurt me!)

This is priceless. I'm ashamed to admit it, but I do admit that I'm curious to read this for myself. I'd better brush up on my Dutch, then? Well, okay, in my case I'd better start studying Dutch.

This review was just too fun to the last word. My hat is off to Sussi Bech.

Quote:
We're firmly in the realm of the Charlie's Angels school of history here. Girl power! There's lots of cutesy wigs, bottom waggling, green eyeshadow (and that's just Ay)...

I just wish you could have been here in my apartment when I read that. I haven't laughed that hard in a while! Thank you for that.

Quote:
A cheap concubine bought at the local flea market? I am of royal minoan (sic) lineage!

Oh, so Kiya and her sister (?) Nofret were Minoan? And all this time I was falling for the Mitanni link. I feel silly now. Although I could have sworn that the Minoan civilization was already gone by the time of Akhenaten.

Quote:
Things I've needed to know for a long, long time. Like the ancient Egyptian preference for the missionary position (the god Amun in ram-mode excepted)...

LOL I take it this particular comic book is not for kids. Although you Europeans are more open-minded about this sort of thing than we prudish Americans.

Thanks for sharing this one with us, anneke. I enjoyed the laugh.

Now, the question is, when is Kevin going to start selling "Nofret" in the ED gift shop? Very Happy

Visit my blog!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: