Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VACATION!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We toured a bit of the Aquarium afterward, and though I'm not much into aquatic life, I have to admit it's a wonderful museum. Any kind of rare or exotic or interesting fish you might want to see swimming about, is there in one mammoth tank or another.

Oh man, I love aquatic life so much. Were there sharks? Octopusses? Octopusses rock, they have no bones!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Oh man, I love aquatic life so much. Were there sharks? Octopusses? Octopusses rock, they have no bones!

Indeed there were. The Shedd (I've been misspelling it with only one "d" all this time) has pretty much any kind of aquatic life you want. Sharks are one of their specialties. You can walk up to the glass and they swim right by you. For an extra fee you can jump in and swim with them, though the Shedd is not liable for loss of limb or life. I'm kidding, of course. You can't swim with them. While I was watching a few sharks, though, I was wondering how long it might take for them to attack were someone actually to be dumb enough to jump in. They have octopi and squids also, although personally I find those to be rather gross to look at.

I do enjoy fried calamari, though! Very Happy

Visit my blog!
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For an extra fee you can jump in and swim with them, though the Shedd is not liable for loss of limb or life. I'm kidding, of course. You can't swim with them.

Oh, you got me excited for a minute, I would love to swim with sharks. The smaller ones of course, like black tip reef sharks. Keep the great white's away from me thanks.
Quote:
They have octopiand squids also

I thought it was that! Is 'octopusses' a word too? Because I know for the plural of 'hippopotomus' you can write a number of things.
Quote:
They have octopi and squids also, although personally I find those to be rather gross to look at.

Seriously? I think they look so graceful as they move in the water, with their arms undulating like slow motion belly dancers. I find it fascinating.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do have plenty of little sharks that wouldn't do much more than scratch you. The big ones are in other tanks. The little ones are in this huge tank with all kinds of other fish, as well as stingrays. Now those are cool! They're so fun to watch. There's a species of stingray with leopard-like spots that's particularly beautiful.

And according to my dictionary, "octopuses" is as acceptable as "octopi." I'm glad you had me check that because I was sending the language police out to collect you, and those fellows can be pretty rough. Very Happy Don't worry, I called them off. I am now sending them after those teenage girls who use the word "like" at least twice in practically every sentence (like, man, that, like, really bugs me).

I agree that octopi and squids are very graceful animals, but I just find them extremely unpleasant to look at. Anything with that many legs (well, tentacles) is just too much like a spider, and you know how I feel about spiders. Surprised

Oh, my. It's so depressing. Here it is, Sunday night, and I'm back to work tomorrow morning. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad How am I going to adjust? Will I survive the week? I shall hope and pray that Friday arrives quickly, because I really need more time to rest up from my vacation!

Visit my blog!
Meritaten
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharks and occies do indeed rock! Glad to see a couple more elasmobranch/cephalopod fans out and about Very Happy I just got back a couple of months ago from diving at Ningaloo Reef, where we snorkled with Whale Sharks and Mantas. I've been known to pick my dive holiday destination on the basis of how likely I am to see sharks. It's a great reason to visit Egypt for diving - their Red Sea dive spots are sensational, and if you pick the right one there are whole shivers of sharks (yes, that is the correct collective noun for them).

There are quite a few public aquaria that permit diving with their shark populations. Most are reef sharks or grey nurses (Carcharias taurus - aka ragged tooth or sand tiger), and while they look very impressive are relatively harmless. Aquarium sharks would be very unlikely to attack unless you provoked them.

Sounds like you had a great break, Kmt-Sesh.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
their Red Sea dive spots are sensational, and if you pick the right one there are whole shivers of sharks (yes, that is the correct collective noun for them).

One of the new docents I'm helping to train at the Field Museum is from Egypt and has a vacation house on the Red Sea. I'll have to ask him if he ever goes shark diving. Very Happy

"Shivers" seems the appropriate term to me. Were I ever to come across one while I was swimming, that's exactly what I'd do.

Visit my blog!
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am now sending them after those teenage girls who use the word "like" at least twice in practically every sentence (like, man, that, like, really bugs me).

I, like, totally know what you mean! Actually I sometimes fall victim to that, but I don't do it with that really annoying Valley girl upspeak, you know? Like everything is, like, a question? Laughing
Quote:
I just got back a couple of months ago from diving at Ningaloo Reef, where we snorkled with Whale Sharks and Mantas.

Oh my, you are so lucky! Whale Sharks are so beautiful and not to mention HUGE! I hear that Manta Rays are very affectionate, did you get to touch one?
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope this doesn't constitute a thread hijack...!

I've dived with Mantas a couple of times, Daniella, but have never tried to touch one...you're right, though - I've heard some of them seem to like having their bellies rubbed! (too much of it can damage their skin and leave them vulnerable to infection, though). The whale sharks were awesome - I've dived for almost a decade, but this was the first time I've seen them.

Kmt_sesh, if your mate gets to go diving with sharks from his Red Sea holiday home, I'll be as jealous as all get out Very Happy One of the most magical dives I've ever done was on the wreck of the British steamship Numidia - not only is the wreck itself beautifully festooned with soft and hard corals, but there was a hammerhead shark playing tag overhead with a grey whaler shark! (Some sort of territorial dispute). I didn't know which way to look, and was down to 42 metres before I knew it.

http://touregypt.net/vdc/numidia.htm[/img]
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(too much of it can damage their skin and leave them vulnerable to infection, though).

Oh my goodness, I didn't know that. Poor things Sad .
Quote:
One of the most magical dives I've ever done was on the wreck of the British steamship Numidia

Wow, that would be so exhilarating! I would be a little freaked out, but I would have fun at the same time.
Quote:
I didn't know which way to look, and was down to 42 metres before I knew it.

Do you mean you didn't know which way was the surface? Because I've heard that some divers experience that and end up swimming downwards and getting themselves into quite the predicament. Tieing a rope from you to the boat prevents that from happening though.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Kmt_sesh, if your mate gets to go diving with sharks from his Red Sea holiday home, I'll be as jealous as all get out

LOL I seriously doubt he does that, actually. I was kind of joking, but there's no way you could've known that. This guy is kind of portly and in his late 40s and is a well-to-do physician. An incredibly cheerful and friendly fellow, but more the type to enjoy sitting on his deck and watching the sun set than to go diving in the sea.

Quote:
I've heard some of them seem to like having their bellies rubbed! (too much of it can damage their skin and leave them vulnerable to infection, though).

Wow, I enjoy that myself. But whenever I feel an irritation coming on, I find a little Cortizone cream will clear it right up. Very Happy

Sorry. I think I'm in a bit of an odd mood this evening.

Visit my blog!
Meritaten
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This guy is kind of portly and in his late 40s and is a well-to-do physician. An incredibly cheerful and friendly fellow, but more the type to enjoy sitting on his deck and watching the sun set than to go diving in the sea.

If he ever needs a housesitter, I'm waving my hand with a 'Me! Me! Pick Me!' enthusiasm. Some of the best divers I know are portly Docs in their 40s - 50s - they're the ones with the money to travel and buy gadgets! So if he ever decides to take it up, he's well situation in more than one sense.
Quote:
Wow, I enjoy that myself. But whenever I feel an irritation coming on, I find a little Cortizone cream will clear it right up.

I had a chuckle with this one! I now know what to tell the next 18 metre wingspanned giant that's hovering over me...'y'know, a little cortizone cream will sort those lesions out quick-smart...'
Quote:
Do you mean you didn't know which way was the surface? Because I've heard that some divers experience that and end up swimming downwards and getting themselves into quite the predicament.

The visibility was so sensational - 50 metres + - that there was no problem figuring which way was up. You're right, though - in very poor visibility, some divers suffer vertigo and the resulting disorientation can get them into trouble. I've never experienced it, and always use a dive computer to tell my exact depth. I got to 42 metres on that dive because somewhere around the 35 metre mark I stopped looking at my guages and started gawping at sharks and the wreck. I must have been a bit affected by nitrogen narcosis ('narked'') thought - the 'Raptures of the Deep'! The signal for 'hammerhead' is to ball your hand into a fist and bang it against your head - I wouldn't stop doing it until everyone in the group had signalled back 'OK!' so I knew they'd seen it.

Sorry that this hijack is now a derailment!
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If he ever needs a housesitter, I'm waving my hand with a 'Me! Me! Pick Me!' enthusiasm.

Goodness, deja vu...that's exactly what the rest of us were doing when he told his about his place on the Red Sea. His response? "Sure, come, please come. All of you are welcome."

He may live to regret that. Very Happy

Quote:
Some of the best divers I know are portly Docs in their 40s - 50s - they're the ones with the money to travel and buy gadgets!

I get the impression that this guy is definitely well off. He loves to travel and has seen his own country from one end to the other. He adivses that the best times to come see Egypt are right after a terroritst attack anywhere in the region: tourists are nearly nonexistent and the great temples and tombs are all yours!

He also likes to remind us that he may be the exception among his countrymen. Though schoolkids in Egypt study the ancient history of their country about the same as kids in the West study ancient Egypt, the average modern Egyptian doesn't know much at all about this history. They grow up there and the pyramids and temples and necropoli are second-nature to them...nothing new. Shocked

Visit my blog!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: