Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Search for Nefertiti
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claire wrote:
Quote:
By the way i have nothing against her and i believe she is very good at what she does, in fact in a way she has inspired me even mor to be an egyptologist as like me she knew what she wanted to do from a very early age...

I doubt any of us has anything personal against Fletcher, but one must be wary of a researcher who rushes to publish. I think Fletcher is a very intelligent person who was off to a good start with her career, but her haste over the Nefertiti issue seriously damaged her credibility. I don't know of a single respected Egyptologist who has stepped forward to support her over this mess. I for one sincerely hope she is able to make a comeback and has learned from her mistakes, because I think with more time and experience she can make valuable contributions to Egyptology. This may be difficult, though, until Zahi Hawass retires and leaves the scene. To this date Fletcher has not published a terribly substantial body of literature on ancient Egypt, and The Search for Nefertiti hasn't quite helped.

If you're looking for a female role model, there is no shortage of those in Egyptology. One of the big up-and-comers in my opinion is the Pakistan woman Salima Ikram, who has already formed important professional relationships with some of the "giants," including Aidan Dodson. I have a couple of Ikram's books and have enjoyed them a great deal. A particularly well-published scholar is Joyce Tyldesley, whose books I've also enjoyed and have taught me a lot. Then there's Christine El-Mahdy, the author of numerous books including one of my favorites on Tutankhamun.

Egyptology may still be something of an old-boy's club, but a number of brilliant women have made significant inroads. I'll bet anneke could recommend one or two of her own favorite female Egyptologists. As with everything else, Egyptology has benefited from the woman's touch. Very Happy

At the museum I try to encourage little girls who tell me they want to become Egyptologists. You may (or may not?) be surprised by the number of young girls I meet who take a serious interest in this field. And the young boys? They seem satisfied with watching Tutenstein. Wink

anneke wrote:
Quote:
Do be careful. In reviews it was noted that there were deveral glaring mistakes and oversights in the book.

I myself have read only the one review I mentioned above, in KMT. It's on pages 86-87 of this spring's issue (Volume 16 Number 1). It is not a flattering review, let me tell you. The writer points out a number of the glaring mistakes in Fletcher's pages, and I'm surprised Fletcher allowed her book to go to press. One wonders if she did not have someone more senior edit it for her? After listing the errors, the review summarizes:

Quote:
The list could go on, but these citations are more than enough to demonstrate that 'Dr.' (as the dust jacket and title page of Search remind) Joann Fletcher is either a rather shoot-from-the-hip scholar, or else has keyboarded her current book 'off the top of her head,' without bothering to fact check.

I suppose the reviewer doesn't want to crush Fletcher too much because the review ends:

Quote:
All this aside, she does write well and perhaps should try her hand at a novelization of the long-necked lady in the tall platform crown.

Watch out, Elizabeth Peters! Laughing Then again, perhaps not.

Visit my blog!
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:
If you're looking for a female role model, there is no shortage of those in Egyptology. One of the big up-and-comers in my opinion is the Pakistan woman Salima Ikram, who has already formed important professional relationships with some of the "giants," including Aidan Dodson. I have a couple of Ikram's books and have enjoyed them a great deal. A particularly well-published scholar is Joyce Tyldesley, whose books I've also enjoyed and have taught me a lot. Then there's Christine El-Mahdy, the author of numerous books including one of my favorites on Tutankhamun.

And Emily Teeter and gay Robins are highly respected as well.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And Emily Teeter and gay Robins are highly respected as well.

As I usually say in such a situation...Doh!

I can't believe I forgot to mention Robins. I've read only a couple of her books but she's terrific. I should also have mentioned Carol Andrews, another scholar I've enjoyed.

And let's not forget the eminent Evelyn Charnahan. So influential were her contributions to Egyptology in the early 1900s that they made a pair of movies about her called The Mummy and The Mummy Returns. Well, all right, that's a bunch of bull-flop, but isn't Rachel Weisz just a hotty? Very Happy

I've actually read very little of Teeter's work but I met her at the OI. She's active with the Chicago chapter of ARCE. I'm still not a member (much to the frustration of my friends from the Field and OI) but I've sat in at meetings. Anyway, Teeter is about as down-to-earth a person as you'll ever meet.

All right, go ahead and say it...I'm a name dropper. Twisted Evil

Visit my blog!
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, all right, that's a bunch of bull-flop, but isn't Rachel Weisz just a hotty?

Uhh...yeah she is! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Uhh...yeah she is!

See, even the girls have to admit it. Wink

Visit my blog!
Claire
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:
Quote:
Uhh...yeah she is!

See, even the girls have to admit it. Wink

Smile I love that fight scene in the mummy returns with 'nefertiri' and 'ankesenamun' jumping around like monkeys!
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt-sesh wrote:
Quote:
As I usually say in such a situation...Doh!

LOL It was meant as an addition, not a criticism Wink
I did think it amusing that you forgot Teeter as she is a "local" from your perspective. And I do know you enjoyed Robins' book.

Emily Teeter wrote a catalogue for the OI. Have you ever seen that in thier bookshop? Happen to know anything about it? It sounds rather interesting and I have thought about getting it.
Often these museum catalogues are really informative. Not to mention many great pictures....
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
LOL It was meant as an addition, not a criticism

Still, it was worthy of a Doh! on my part because you're right that I enjoyed her book on women in ancient Egypt. I'd recommend it to anyone. So I stand by my Doh! Laughing

Quote:
Emily Teeter wrote a catalogue for the OI. Have you ever seen that in thier bookshop? Happen to know anything about it?

Yes, I have that one. It's a nice book with some wonderul photographs. The Egyptian exhibit at the OI is very small but I swear, every single thing they chose to display is of top quality and relevance. The catalog shows some of their best stuff.

I actually bought it at the Field's gift shop. It's a continuing source of frustration (and embarrassment) to us docents that our own institution does not have a similar catalog for our own exhibit. I often am asked by visitors if there is such a book in our shop. Embarassed Anyway, I just tried finding it at the OI's online book shop and came up empty. I'm so lousy at these web searches (again Embarassed ). Go ahead and look, if you want to give it a shot; otherwise, here's the Amazon link. I think you'd enjoy this book.

Visit my blog!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: