Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Saqqara

View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:44 pm    Post subject: Saqqara Reply with quote

Does anyone know why Saqqara (Sakkara) was such an important place?
The burials there range over quite a long time it seems.

There seem to be quite a few tombs there and several interesting (recent ) finds are from that place.
For example: Maia - Tut's wetnurse.
A diplomat from the time of Ramses II.
Tia and Tia sister of Ramses II and her husband,
Old kingdom tombs etc.

see http://www.let.leidenuniv.nl/saqqara/
almostascribe
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the old kingdom knings used to have two tombs built one in the south (abydos) and one in the north (saqara) One for each land.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really interesting!

Does that mean that there are a lot of pyramids in Saqqara?
The tombs I had read about were either mastabas from the old kingdom, or much later tombs (18th, 19th dynasty).

I know that Abydos is also a very old site with many interesting finds. One of them is a collection of 13 or 14 royal boats that were buried at Abydos. These date a couple of 100 years before the great pyramid.

Are Saqqara and Abydos by any chance related to the creation myths?
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saqqara is the principal necropolis of ancient Memphis and is crowded with burials spanning most of ancient history. North Saqqara includes the Step Pyramid, old and new kingdom cemetries. South Saqqara covers the Pyramid of Pepi I and others to the south.
It was abandoned for most of Dynasty IV as the royal necropolis, as the kings pyramids moved to Meidum, Dashur, and Giza.
Saqqara regained its popularity at the end of Dynasty IV, through V and VI. Kings such as Userkaf, Unas, Teti, Djedkare, Pepi I, Merenre, and Pepi II built pyramids there.
Aside from being on the west bank of the Nile and therefore the direction of the setting sun, the deshret (desert) the red land of death, I dont know of any other reason for Saqqara being chosen as a necropolis.
Abydos named so by the Greeks, is Abtu, seat of worship and sacred to Osiris/Asar. Also known as Per-Ausar "the house of Osiris". The capital of the eighth nome of Upper Egypt. Tradition has it as the place where the sun ends its daily course and enters the Tuat through a gap in the mountains near the town. Its also believed to be the place where the heart of Osiris is buried after his body had been chopped and scattered by Seth.
Djehtinefer
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was also the Stepped Pyramid of Djoser designed by Imhotep.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was reading "saqqara online". See:
http://www.let.leidenuniv.nl/saqqara/homepage.htm
This is a website maintained by the University of Leiden in the Netherlands. (It's in English Wink )

Their latest dig reports from Saqqara are quite interesting.
They were exccavating the forecourt of Horemheb's temple, when they found a whole bunch of objects from the tomb of Tia and Tia.
Tia was the sister of Ramses II (the great), and her husband had the same name.
They found parts of their funeral equipment, as well as evidence of pet animals that were buried with the couple.

They also mention having dinner with the French archeologist Alain Zivie and his team, and comparing notes. No details were given (sadly enough)
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found a quote from the tomb of Maya, Tut's treasurer:
“In the beginning I was good, in the end I was brilliant.”

That cracked me up....

I wish I had the nerve to say something like that Very Happy Very Happy
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The most interesting finds this week were a large stela fragment inscribed for the Overseer of the Harîm Pay and an equally large lunette fragment of a recessed stela of Pay’s son Raia. These persons are buried to the south of Horemheb’s forecourt, and the blocks came up just in time to be included in the publication of that tomb, the manuscript of which can be finished later this year.

I was particularily excited to read this. Pay and Repyt are the parents of Raia who I think is the same Raia/Raya that I have as the husband of Touia, grand daughter of Amenhotep III. (posted in another thread)
Touia, mother of Tuya II who became wife of Seti I, parents of Ramses II.

Laughing Totally love the quote from Maya!! Obviously not a shy or retiring fellow!
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was particularily excited to read this. Pay and Repyt are the parents of Raia who I think is the same Raia/Raya that I have as the husband of Touia, grand daughter of Amenhotep III. (posted in another thread)
Touia, mother of Tuya II who became wife of Seti I, parents of Ramses II.

That's really interesting.

I do think it's interesting that the early 19th dynasty queens seem to have these "Mut" components to their name.
Seti I's wife is often referred to as Mut-Tuya, and Nefertari's full name is Nefertari-Merymut.

Add that to the fact that they have found huge statues of Nefertari's daughter in Akhmin....

I was thinking: Isn't it strange though that Ramses II's sister was married to a court official. Good old Ramses seemed to marry every other royal female in sight. Hor did his sister Tia get to marry her namesake Tia?
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a little off the Saqqara topic, but I did find some other websites giving info on recent excavations.

http://www.waseda.ac.jp/projects/egypt/index-E.html

This website includes a link to excavations in Dashur. Tombs dating to the time of King Tut have been found there.

Another good link on this page is the one for the Palace at Malkata.

http://www.guardians.net/egypt/cooldigs.htm
From Guardians Egypt.
This site has a link to Kent Weeks's theban mapping project.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention this link:

http://www.newton.cam.ac.uk/egypt/dig.html

This page is from Nigel Strudwick (Cambridge?)

Not all the links are totally up to date I think, but there's some interesting info there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: