Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HAVING FRIENDS...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smartie
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:04 am    Post subject: HAVING FRIENDS... Reply with quote

I was just on the phone with a friend of mine. I thought came to me..did the pharaoh and his great Royal Wife have friends? I mean close friends, ones you can depend on, and if not that a close relative. For a girl I would presume her mother, but even now your mother doesn't always know the same things your best friend does (vice versa) I've never heard of any pharaoh having a good close friendship. Some people are independent and truely don't need friends, they like being by themselves. Though even those people have friends who they talk to.
The royal lives of the Ancient Egyptians are getting less and less glamorous for me LOL.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read one Ameneminet being described as a childhood friend of Ramses II. Not sure what they base that on though Very Happy

There are several individuals who are named as "child of the kap" or "child of the nursery". These people are thought to have grown up at court and may have gone through their schooling and training with the royal princess and princesses.

An example is for instance Maihirpre. He was a man of Nubian (half?) descent who was a fan-bearer (close advisor) of the king. He died relatively young (twenties) and he was buried with honors in the King's Valley. He was a child of the nursery and this may be how he got to be fanbearer and close enough to the king (likely Tuthmosis IV) to be buried in the Valley of the Kings.

On my list of Theban Tombs if you search for child of the nursery, you will find several of these individuals and they are usually well-connected.
Sitamun
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't have an answer for you, but just wanted to say that I've often thought of this as well. I guess I can say that it was the Christian Jacq novels on Ramses II that really got me thinking about this.

On one hand I feel that everyone needs friends so yes of course they must have, but then I think "did they truely have anyone they consider as equals and thus be friends?" I also think it depends on just how secluded these people were as children. There's nothing quite like a childhood friendship blossoming as you get older.
Smartie
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm interesting.
Though it doesn't seem as if they liked to mention it? did a lot of pharaohs just not have friends? not as if there would really be anyone to relate to. white brings up the idea of having a journal or diary? which has yett to be found of a high ranking person (am I right?)
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenamun, lifelong friend of Amenhotep II

Royal nurses played an important and prestigious role at court and were often honored by the pharaoh they served.
Amenhotep II had been breastfed by the lady Amenemopet, whose own son Kenamun was brought up with the young prince and was to be his lifelong friend.
Later in life he become steward of the kings own household. He had also a number of honorific titles.

Three painted wooden Osiride figures of the Royal Steward and foster brother of Amenhotep II.
The inscriptions state that these statuettes were gifts from the king himself.
http://www.insecula.com/us/oeuvre/O0005005.html

In general it appears that Amenhotep II relied heavily on a administration peopled with friends and familiars. It would be intersesting to speculate on wether this was partially influenced by an exedient need to trust one's courtiers.

Two other good friends of Amenhotep II are vizier Amenemipet and his brother, the mayor of Thebes , Sennefer. Their father, Ahmose Humay, was a royal nurse who must have cared for Amehotep II himself at some point.
These two men were so influential in the Theban region that they were both afforded burial in the Valley of the Kings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: