Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Books on Amarna, Bob Brier, DVDs, etc
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
VBadJuJu
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG! OMG! The thats what we've been saying!

ImageOfAten wrote:
I don't think the Aten would harm his only "True" follower of the time period.
The rest were forced to worship Akhenaten Smile

Another new quote for me! LOL Wink
ImageOfAten
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
OMG! OMG! The thats what we've been saying!

ImageOfAten wrote:
The rest were forced to worship Akhenaten

Another new quote for me! LOL

LOL, I said one "true follower" not only follower Brick wall
ImageOfAten
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, has anyone read Hornung's book Akhenaten and the Religion of Light? It's pretty short but I am reading it currently and find it very enjoyable.

sunny

I like that Emoticon very much!
VBadJuJu
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read it. I really cant recall anythng about it though...it's kind of superficial.
ImageOfAten
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far I like it but that first chapter I had to force myself to get through it. It was about the Egyptologists what they found, when they found it, and their opinions. Which is usually interesting but in this case it really drove me mad. Maybe it was just the way the information was organized. But now I am a few chapters into it and it seems to have gotten a lot better.
ImageOfAten
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
laying out in the direct heat and light for about 2 hours a day in the summer is enough for your daily charge

I got that charge today, I now feel back to normal! Very Happy
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Ah, yes, quite right. I forgot that Akhenaten would have had half a dozen Nubian slaves fanning him and shielding him with papyrus parasols.

I like your little sun emoticon. I didn't know it was one of the extras.

sunny sunny sunny sunny sunny sunny sunny sunny sunny sunny sunny sunny sunny sunny sunny sunny

Visit my blog!
ImageOfAten
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ah, yes, quite right. I forgot that Akhenaten would have had half a dozen Nubian slaves fanning him and shielding him with papyrus parasols.

I like your little sun emoticon. I didn't know it was one of the extras.

Oh come on, those people doing the fanning probably enjoyed it. After all they probably were well taken care of.

I like my little Sun Emoticon too, that is why I use it Smile
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Oh come on, those people doing the fanning probably enjoyed it. After all they probably were well taken care of.

They probably did, you know. There's plentiful evidence that the Egyptians treated many of their slaves and servants very well (with the exception of convicted criminals, of course).

There's that misconception that Pharaoh would have his servants killed so that they might serve him in the afterlife. This didn't happen during 99% of the entire dynastic period, but a couple of the earliest kings actually did--the remains of their servants were found in little graves around their large royal tombs. There's really no evidence that these servants met violent ends, and probably died from taking poison. Willingly? It's impossible to say, but it always remains a possibility. After all, at this early stage the afterlife was still the domain of the god-king, and mere commoners couldn't expect much if anything beyond this life...unless you died to serve your king in the afterlife.

Visit my blog!
ImageOfAten
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They probably did, you know. There's plentiful evidence that the Egyptians treated many of their slaves and servants very well (with the exception of convicted criminals, of course).

In some cases, some nobles and royalty could have actually considered their servants as friends in a way, well its a possibility.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In some cases, some nobles and royalty could have actually considered their servants as friends in a way, well its a possibility.

I'm sure it's possible, but it's hard to verify. In tomb scenes (our main source of evidence for this sort of thing) servants are usually nameless figures performing all manor of duties for the noble or royal tomb owner. But there is evidence for people of more common rank (mind you, "common" can mean rather well-to-do in the social and financial structure of their time).

I recall reading of one case where a man of the comfortable middle class was preparing for his death (as Egyptians were apt to do). Getting along in years, he was in a quandry because he had no heirs. But he had servants. He adopted one as his son and made him his heir in his will so that it was certain where his estate and its belongings would go when he did die. Clearly he felt more than some measure of affection for and trust in this servant to do that. Wink

Visit my blog!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: