Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Symbolism of the depictions of the royals

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Symbolism of the depictions of the royals Reply with quote

I know we have discussed this before, but as I was painting some scenes and collecting images I might like to paint I was struck by the fact that the depiction of the royals in the tombs is never quite as exagerated as some other depictions I have seen.
Some make quite a bit out of the "negroid" features of some of the depictions.

I was thinking about the lives of the royals and the fact that the temples were much more open than before. This means that the royal family must have spent quite a bit of time in the open air. Added to this is the impression one gets from some of the chariot scenes that these were pretty outdoorsy people. Considering the climate, this must have meant that they would have been incredibly tanned.
[It was actually some joking around in another thread that made me think of this Very Happy ]

The old symbolism had the men depicted as reddish brown, the color of the land, and the women as some golden yellow/brown color.

Would the sun worshippers have seen the darker skincolor as a blessing from the Aten? Would they maybe have depicted themselves with darker features to show how they were blessed by the Aten?

I may be totally wrong but I get the impression that the depictions with "negroid" features show up more among the religious depictions. Do any of you get the same impression?

There is some remnant of this even in the art from the time of Tutankhamen. On the throne both Tut and Ankhesenamen are depicted in the reddish brown color. This is interesting as Ankhesenamen should have been depicted as golden-yellow according to the standard way of depicting females.

On the other hand there are also stelae that show the royals depicted as yellow. But this could very well be a different method of symbolising their affinity with the sun. One stela looked like it had been covered completely with a golden-yellow color.
Again this lasts past the Amarna period. Maya and Merit are depicted yellow in some of their scenes in their tomb at Saqqara.

Just some thoughts Laughing
It just seemed to me that the egyptians were likely to use a lot of symbolism in their depictions and maybe this is no different?
ImageOfAten
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Would the sun worshippers have seen the darker skincolor as a blessing from the Aten? Would they maybe have depicted themselves with darker features to show how they were blessed by the Aten?

Very interesting theory Anneke, I think you may be on to something. It is quite possible that sun-tanned skin was viewed as a blessing from the Aten. It could say a number of different things, it could mean chosen by the Aten, it could be a symbol of love from the Aten, the list could go on and on!
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile That is a very thought provoking idea.
Such a connection I hadn't noticed but considering the changes in art during the Amarna period it makes sense - now you mention it.
I'll certainly be paying more attention to their skin colour and features in relation to religion from now on.
maahes
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

given the fact that women were depicted with skin of gold it would seem to me that their gender was heaven blessed whilst the gender of men was of the earth. I don't know about "Negroid" features. There are so many ethnicities within east Africa as a whole, it seems odd to me that Afrocentrists and their sister the Eurocentric continue to oversimplify things as black and white. Anneke is making a different point altogether.
The indigenous Egyptians come in a few colours, most of them sand hued or darker. THere are subtle differences in the artistic depictions of leaders and retinueas compared with non-religious. It may be that artists schooled in Per Ankh were realists in training and expression whilst their contemporary "popular" artists had no such compulsion. Asiatics ie Semites were foriegners in Msr until very recently and the Temeju of "Libya" were the same stock as many Egyptians. The Temehi from Tunisia were Taupe hued and green eyed ( Basques) and they eventually arrived in coastal Libya to=]]anyway the Sun has no colour yet the horizon will often burn bright blue or green light in the western horizon at sunset.
"O Egypt, Egypt, of your reverent deeds only stories will survive, and they will be incredible to your children! For divinity goes back to heaven, as Egypt will be widowed and deserted by god and nature."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: