Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can someone look at this inscription please?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:12 pm    Post subject: Can someone look at this inscription please? Reply with quote

I just came across a post on the web that looks at the inscription of a box in the tomb of Tutankhamen.

The author there claims that the inscription of the box refers to Akhenaten and Neferneferuaten Meritaten!

I really don't know enough about hieroglyphics or their interpretation to know if this is true.

This is the actual copy of the inscription as noted by Howard Carter.
http://www.ashmol.ox.ac.uk//gri/carter/001k-c001k-3.html

and also

http://www.ashmol.ox.ac.uk//gri/carter/001k-c001k-4.html

The claim is made that:

Quote:
A more careful look shows that the inscriptions refer to only two people, not three

PERSON 1
King of Upper and Lower Egypt. Living with truth, Lord of the Two Lands, Neferkheperure-Waenre
Son of Re, Living with truth. Lord of the crowns, Akhenaten
GREAT IN HIS DURATION

PERSON 2
King of Upper and Lower Egypt, Lord of the Two Lands, Ankhkheperure Mer-Neferkheperre
Son of Re, Lord of the crowns, Neferneferuaten Mer-Waenre
Great Royal Spouse, Merytaten
MAY SHE LIVE FOREVER AND EVER

No "given life" epithet follows the name of Neferneferuaten and so all three last names belong to the same person

VERY interesting if true Very Happy But with this Amarna stuff I figure this would not be without controversy? Laughing

Any thoughts?
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty much how I would read it. I would change "Lord of Crowns" to "Lord of Appearances," but that's picky.

There is this line in the quote you provided:
Quote:
No "given life" epithet follows the name of Neferneferuaten and so all three last names belong to the same person

This caught my attention, and this is the link I found easiest to read (even though it's sideways Very Happy ). Akhenaten's cartouches are clearly the first two (bottom row, lower-left), and I would then group the next two together (bottom row, lower-right and next row up, far left, under the epithet "Son of Re, Lord of Appearances"); that is, Ankhkheperure Mer-Neferkheperre and Neferneferuaten Mer-Waenre.

The very last cartouche (Meritaten, middle row, far right) seems to hang out there as an extra. I don't know that "Given life" is an absolute epithet in identifying specific individuals in a collection of cartouches, but it is an interesting argument. So, yes, you could view it that way (Akhenaten and Neferneferuaten-Meritaten), but you could also view it as a listing of names for Akhenaten, Neferneferuaten and Meritaten.

Did I just make this worse for you? Am I way over my head here? Shocked

Visit my blog!
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Very Happy
I figured it was a matter of arguing if Meritaten's name would belong to the second person or be a third person Wink I don't know anything about the appropriate grammar so I have no clue if "given life" is such a strong determinative as you mentioned. I wouldn't be surprised if this was not too well understood in general.

I did find the argument interesting as well. That's why I thought I would "throw it in the group" here. (LOL sounds a bit like therapy, no?)

I thought it was interesting anyways to see Meritaten's name in a cartouche, and at the very least referred to as Great Royal Wife.

I think this inscription may be the reason some people started to look to Meritaten as being the mysterious Neferneferuaten. But in true Amarna form it's ambiguous.

I just looked at the inscription from Amarna again showing Smenkhare with Meritaten. She does not have the "Neferneferuaten" component to her name there.
If I read it correctly, the pharaoh is referred to as Ankhkheperure Smenkhare-Djeserkheperure (written in 2 cartouches).
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I did find the argument interesting as well. That's why I thought I would "throw it in the group" here. (LOL sounds a bit like therapy, no?)

LOL There's another angle for Kevin to advertise: Free group therapy at Egyptian Dreams for those of you with unhealthy obsessions for ancient Egypt. Be among your own kind...without being laughed at. Very Happy

Quote:
I thought it was interesting anyways to see Meritaten's name in a cartouche, and at the very least referred to as Great Royal Wife.

I hadn't even noticed that it could be taken that way. I had been looking at it as a kind of suffix epithet for the cartouche before Meritaten's: nfrnfruitn-mr-w'nr' hmt-wr nsw (Neferneferuaten Mer-Waenre, Great Royal Wife). But in a line of royal names like this, I do get kind of confused as to which epithet or title belongs to which name. And as you so aptly said, in true Amarna form it's ambiguous. Very Happy Well stated.

Visit my blog!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: