Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Treasures from the royal tombs at Ur

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Treasures from the royal tombs at Ur Reply with quote

This exhibit recently opened here in St Louis and I just saw it yesterday. Spectacular!!!

These tombs were discovered in Southern Iraq in 1927 and date back to the Sumerian period of ca 2500 BC.
The treasures displayed here are the treasures of Queen Pu-abi (or possibly High-Priestess Pu-abi).

The display includes some of the jewelry found on Pu-abi and her hand maidens. As well as stone and golden vessels, arms from the guards, etc.

Apparently the high ranking people were buried together with an extensive entourage (up to 70 people) who participated in some ritual and then drank poison from small cups found next to their bodies.

The highlights are the elaborate head-dress of the Queen, her beaded cape made of gold, lapis and carnelian, a giant lyre with the head of a bull, and the famous "ram in a thicket".

The latter is the base of a small table and shows a ram fashioned out of gold, lapis, and silver standing on its hind legs and leaning on a small tree/shrub fashioned out of gold.

The pieces all come from the University of Pennsylvania. They have a website dedicated to this material:
http://www.museum.upenn.edu/new/exhibits/ur/about.shtml

The pieces are just wonderful, and they are quite spectacular when viewed up close Very Happy.
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anneke,

I take a look at the site that you provided and I must say that the headdress of Queen Puabi is very spectacular.
I found the wreath also beautiful, it looks that they used the same materials like the Egyptians.
Her beaded cape and jewels are also special, I read that her diadem was incorrectly assembled, and that they recently discovered that the ornaments had been mounted upside down.
The Ram Caught in a Thicked and the Great Lyre from the King's Grave are unique pieces of art.
I believe it, when you say that it is quite spectacular when viewed up close. Glad that you shared this site with us, I love ancient jewels. Very Happy
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They mentioned the diadem that was reconstructed incorrectly (they now believe). The diadem I'm thinking of was made up of hundreds of lapis beads and they had attached these small ornament which looked like rams, gazelles, etc. Now they think this may have belonged to several items of jewelry instead of one.

I thought there were some interesting similarities to Egyptian art as well. They had chairs with lion headed fronts, bulls depicted quite often, etc.
Some of the jewelry reminded me of some egyptian pieces. Although others were quite different.

I think that these people coincided with the 12th dynasty in Egypt. They think that they may have gotten some of their gold from Egypt (they also got gold from other sources).

It made me wonder how much contact there was between the two cultures.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: