Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seven Studies

View previous topic :: View next topic  
VBadJuJu
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Seven Studies Reply with quote

Quote:
The Facts are these. At Akhenaten's death Nefertity was opposed by forces inimical enough to impel her to request a marriage outside Egypt [the Hittities letter], and then to cause the murder of her perspective huisband before he even set foot in the country. The conclusion is justified that at that time Egypt was torn by at least two factions, one of which centered around Nefertity and the other of which inter alia controlled the approaches to Egypt. The evidence from Armana is in perfect accord. Here in the southern complex called "Maru-aten" the British excavators found the name and figure of Nefertity consistenatly replaced in the latest reliefs by the name and figure of her daugheter, Meriaten. The replacement was even carried out in texts that served only to indicate the identity of Mereaten's mother. Int he northern part of the city in the "north palace", which seems to have been built around the time of the estrangement of the royal couple, Akhenaten's name is found fairly often accompantied by those of Smenkhare and Mereaten, while Nefertity is mentioned not at all. In one case Mereaten's name appears "palimpsest", presumably over her mother's. Yet from the northern palace come a large number of wine-jar dockets with Nefertity's name to the exclusion of AKhenaten's; and generally throughout the northern part of the city her name, sometimes with those of Tutankhamun's [sic] and Ankhesenpaaten's (but never with Smenkhare), occurs frequently. The conclusion must be that late in his reign AKhenaten became estranged from his wife, elevated his eldest daughter, and presumably her husband Smenkhare, to the foremost position in the state, and expunged Nefertity's name everywhere in the capital. After he husband's death Nefertity returned to Armana, or at least took uop residence in the northern part of the city, and there championed the cause of Tutankhamun and Ankhesenpaaten. When Nefertity died we have no way of knowing with certainty, but she probably did not survive Tutabkhamin's abandonment of Armana.

- Redford, _Seven Studies_, 1967

It is a long paragraph, but I couldnt help chuckling at the convoluted thinking as well as marvelling at how the thinking has changed a great deal and so much has been proved (and/or accepted as) otherwise since 1967.

However, in 1968 Aldred looked at the same 'evidence' in _A New Study_ and dismisses much of it without being privy to any more info than Redford. Basically he says 'look, if Nefertiti died about year 12 there would be no need for her name on the many temples and shrines in Armana, so it makes sense to replace her name and likeness; if there were a feud, Nefertiti would be too carefully watched to send letters to Hittites and receive envoys to be embroiled as the author of the letter to Supp. etc".

Aldred Just strikes me as a more clear headed thinker. I think Redford's complete intransigence to accept any sort of co-regency helps lead him astray on some areas. He also makes the point that if the docket on EA27 is in fact a "2" then there was virtually no coregency; if it says "[1]2" there there was an 11-12 year one.

Pretty good point, to which I would add that I dont buy cuniform tablets as critical state documents to be dragged from Memphis to Armana at the change of Kings. Reading cuniform Akkadian was a specialized skill - few (including the King) could pick one up and read it which makes it decidely less valuable than a transcribed copy. The transcribed version might be stored, saved and even transported much more easily.

So, there would be no reason to haul a fragile Year 2 tablet to Armana from Memphis. Another reason it more likely reads 12 than 2.
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that it was Kiya's name that was replaced in the Maru-Aten, and not Nefertit's name.
VBadJuJu
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know. Thats rather the point. The quote was from 1967 and so, probably based on 1950s research. What I thought interesting is how 'robust' the scenario got.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does make one wonder which of todays theories will be left standing in another 40 years, doesn't it? Very Happy

LOL Who knows, maybe Akhenaten will be discovered to be a transvestite whose alter-ego was Nefertiti. In the final stages of syphillis he decides to style himself as King Neferneferuaten. His long suffering wife Queen Kiya is actually the mother of all his daughters and his two sons. The damage to her face on the sun shade reflect the fact that she gauged her own eyes out. "She had seen too much".

Very Happy True this is not the most likely theory to be left standing after 40 more years, but it was fun to come up with.

It actually does remind me a bit of the state of confusion concerning Hatshepsut a 100 years or so ago. There was major confusion for a while as to who followed whom on the throne. It seems that most, if not all, people accept todays scenario. I hope they will be able to similarly clear up the whole Amarna period at some point. Not holding my breath though Wink
VBadJuJu
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anneke wrote:
It actually does remind me a bit of the state of confusion concerning Hatshepsut a 100 years or so ago. There was major confusion for a while as to who followed whom on the throne. It seems that most, if not all, people accept todays scenario.

Cinfusion is one thing, but a full scale scenario worthy of Machevelli or Oliver Stone based on some plaster chips and excised inscriptions is another.

_Seven Studies_ looks at Hatshepsut as well and he doesnt paint a rosy picture of her and explicitly details 'the seething rage Thutmosis harbored for her that he couldnt wait to erase her'. It a decent book as to the presentation of evidence, but most of his most critical conclusions just dont hold up. It largely revolves around how there is just no way that there could ever possibly be a coregency between A-III and A-IV.

Given the reliability and durability of his other conclusions, I almost think that he champions no coregency is a strong argument for one. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: