Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adventure/Fantasy Novels set in Ancient Egypt?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ptolemy18
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Adventure/Fantasy Novels set in Ancient Egypt? Reply with quote

Hello folks,

Has anyone read any good (or not-so-good) historical-adventure or even historical-fantasy novels set in Ancient Egypt? Pharaonic period, Hellenistic, Roman, whatever. But not modern period like, say, Anne Rice's THE MUMMY. Wink

It seems like there *would* be novels set in Ancient Egypt, but I haven't found that many, except for George Ebers' 19th-century historical romances (AN EGYPTIAN PRINCESS, SARAPIS, CLEOPATRA, etc.) Among comics, I was impressed by Walter Crane's series SHEBA, which is set in the Ptolemaic and early Islamic period.

Based on Amazon.com, there appears to be some historical Egyptian novels for "younger readers" (whatever that means)... does anyone have any recommendations among novels of this type?

For that matter, are there any full-on, unapologetic *fantasy* novels set in Ancient Egypt? (Kind of like Barry Hughart's BRIDGE OF BIRDS does for Ancient China...)

Any info or recommendations would be greatly, greatly appreciated!! Smile

Jason
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reading a series right now that I highly reccommend. It's the "Lords of the Two Lands" series by Pauline Gedge, and it's really good! The trilogy begins with "The Hippopotamus Marsh", then "The Oasis" and the third is "The Horus Road".
As I say, I really think everyone should read it!
It's about the Taos families expulsion of the Hyksos, starting with Seqenenra Taos, his eldest son, Kamose and the one that ultimately becomes Pharaoh, Ahmose. Of course it's only fiction, but her re-creation of ancient Egypt is remarkable. I've just about finished it, and am sorry it's over!
Then, if you like mysteries, there's the series written by Elizabeth Peters--I think there's about 25 books now!--that is very good. It follows the lives of a family of Egyptologists in the late 19th early 20th centuries.
A good series that takes place in ancient Egypt is Lauren Haneys. Her protaganist, Lt. Bak, is the commaner of the Medjay at Behun, one of the forts at Egypt's southern border. There's several of these--be sure to read them in order!
Then there's the mystery series by Lynda S. Robinson. She writes of the adventures of Lord Meren, the "eyes and ears of the King", Tutankhamen. Again, there's several.
Also readable is Mika Waltari's "The Egyptian". It's historical facts a kind of mixed up, but it's an interesting read.
There's some others, maybe someone else can point them out for you...
Happy reading!
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second all the recommendations made by Osiris Very Happy
I agree that the trilogy by Gedge is wonderful.

I put together my fav list a while ago:
http://forum.egyptiandreams.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=841
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read very little historical fiction myself, but one I would definitely recommend is Duncan Sprott's The Ptolemies. It's told from the perspective of Thoth! I may not be much into historical fiction, but this one is terrific. Very Happy

Visit my blog!
ptolemy18
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the great resources!

Doing a google search for "Egyptian fantasy novel", I noticed there was a young-adult fantasy series called DAUGHTERS OF BAST. Apparently it's got an Egyptian (plus Celtic?! Maybe that's a little too much...) theme. And talking cats.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0380803186/qid=1131093366/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/103-7235711-6796658?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Has anyone read this series? I think I, personally, would be more interested in some of the actual historical fiction, but I wonder if these would be good books for a Harry Potter reader, for instance...

Jason
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had not heard of the series you mentioned.
If you're looking for a book for the younger reader then I think Egyptology by Emily Sands is wonderful.

My guess would be that the best age range would be 8 and up? Although I gave it as B-day present to a 6 year old who really loves it (but she's incredibly advanced for her age). She now even sits down and takes notes while reading Smile Apparently one of her favorite things in the book is the Senet game. She plays that with her parents.

For as far as fiction goes I really like Diane Wilder's books (murder mysteries) and the Trilogy by Wilbur Smith (involving magicians etc Very Happy ).

I personally think that Pauline Gedge is the best writer in the historical fiction genre.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
She now even sits down and takes notes while reading Smile Apparently one of her favorite things in the book is the Senet game.

Goodness. Six? Are you sure it's six and not sixty? Laughing I have to force myself to take notes as it is. And Senet to boot. This is one impressive little girl.

The only question is, when she's taking notes, what color crayon does she favor?

Visit my blog!
ImageOfAten
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually read Egyptology by Emily Sands, I didn't know what it was when I picked it up. Smile
Blackman
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best books written from an African POV are:

Oxford history of Ancient Egypt - Ian Shaw
Egypt: Child of Africa - Van Sertima
Ancient Egypt in Africa - David O'Connor and Andrew Reid

http://phpbb-host.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=221&highlight=books&mforum=thenile
ImageOfAten
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the Oxford History of Ancient Egypt. I thought it was one of the best organized books on the subject.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: