Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Books-daily life of the nubians and the kingdom of kush

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kendo
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Books-daily life of the nubians and the kingdom of kush Reply with quote

I been away for awhile so i hope i could be excuse for this post .

As we know some egyptian scholars have came out recently and said that one of the best ways to know more about egypt is the study nubia.nubia culture is much more intact than ancient egyptain culture.some nubians today do look more clearly mixed because of arab intermarriges but for most, mostly in the sudan,including hill nubians and arabized nubians who are not arabs, they still remain unmixed clearly black africans and just as black as most blacks in africa.roman and greek writers have many comments on the features of the kushites and nubians of the sudan.
strabo mentions they have thick lips,kinky hair and most have dark skin,so if that's not a negriod i do not know what is.

kushites intermarried less with outsiders than egyptians and tend to intermarry mostly with cousins,lower nubians and desert nubians tend to intermarry off and on and at times lower nubian populations would disappear and new groups of unmixed negriod looking nubians would come in from the south and many intermarriages would happen with these nubians in lower nubia in very late ancint times,while the kushites of upper and southern nubia remain unmixed black africans in ancient times.

even after meroe when new stronger nubians kingdoms were form roman writers of roman egypt would call most nubians of lower nubia after 350 a.d. the red noba and the romans would call the unmixed black nubians the black noba so even the romans called nubians black,and the word kush means black,so the nubians, kushite nubians etc,are what we call truly black folks,it's even in the writings of greek,romans,hebrews etc.
other words greeks and romans used were ethiopia(meaning land of burnt faces-black folks and arabs called in the sudan.meaning land of the blacks,not fake blacks real true blacks,and it if that's not clear than i can't help you.

scholars have mention that the origin of the nile nubians comes from the southwest part of the sudan-darfur and the southern sahara in central africa and savanna regions of africa and they are nilo-saharan speakers and are sudanic so the nubians are closely related to the folks of darfur,the fur and the songhay etc,while some nubians have long heads they remain clearly negriod with african features,but most did have the broad heads,but the lower nubians were more closer to upper egyptian with narrow heads but that was at certain time periods,not all time periods and as we know both clearly were of negriod origin so it's not a debate among serious scholars.

many africans of the western sudan in west africa have narrow heads and are unmixed africans with negriod features so africans are diverse just like other groups,even more so and you could folks even in the same family that are diverse,but all africans from most ancient egyptian,nubians,mande,bantu are closely related because they come from the same core and just happen to spread out later on.

bantu is closely related to nilo-saharan-the nubian language foe example.

you could find

IN the book by derek a. welseby called the kingdom of kush he even describes what the kushites look like from the roman and greek point of view and kushite art ,and he comes to the same point.
It's a good book,so it should be read,but i have some problems with it and i will post info on it as well.
I been away for awhile so i could not respond to the black pharoah post and i still can't believe you have folks today who still do not believe that the nubians were not truly black,but even the most racist would say nubans were truly black africans,so please cut it out ,out there.

when folks talk about China,the mayans,etc we have a clear picture of what these folks look like in racial/ethnic terms so when non-sense comes up about what nubians or egyptians or zulus this must be cleared up right away for folks who take history seriously and these games should not be played,even white racist know the the nubians were negriod/black africans but they mention it for wrong and different reasons

I JUST HAD TO CLEAR THAT UP and i am glad at least the moderators disagreed with that person from egypt.hopefully this would be the last word on this subject but i just came back and could not believe my eyes.

Daily Life of the Nubians
by Robert Steven Bianchi

Reviews:
In this unique, well-written handbook, Bianchi provides an account of ancient Nubian culture that will be of value primarily to undergraduate students of ancient history, art history, and Egyptology....[w]ill serve quite well as a reference source for undergraduates and the general public. Recommended. All levels and libraries.

Description:
Until recently little was known about ancient Nubia and day-to-day lives of the Nubian people aside from knowing it was a civilization contemporary with, distinct from, and living under the shadow of Ancient Egypt. Nubia existed from about 3500-300 BCE, close to 3,000 years. Thanks to recent massive archeological surveys, we now have a much clearer picture of Nubian civilization, ......

http://greenwood.com/books/BookDetail.asp?sku=GR2501
--------------------------------------------------

MY COMMENTS,SOME OF the comments above got it wrong,nubia existed before 3500 b.c.
and lasted up until today still,not up to 300b.c.
THE last part seems to get it right.
THE time line suggest that it existed before 3500 b.c. but the book deals with ancient nubia and not nubia after 350 a.d. but it looks like a detailed work dealing with daily life in ancient nubia.

--------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scholia Reviews ns 9 (2000) 52.

Derek A. Welsby, The Kingdom of Kush: The Napatan and Meroitic Empires.
Princeton: Marcus Wiener, 1998 (= London: British Museum Publications, 1996). Pp. 240, incl. 81 colour and black-and-white illustrations. ISBN 1-55876-182-9. US$19.95.

Sakkie Cornelius,
Department of Ancient Studies, University of Stellenbosch.

There has been an upsurge in the study of the early cultures of the region between Aswan and Khartoum, that is southern Egypt and the northern Sudan (between the first and sixth Nile cataracts).

The region under discussion was known in ancient times as Kush (Egyptian Kash), the Ethiopia ('burnt-face people') of the classical tradition, but not to be confused with the modern state. Sometimes it is called Nubia, but this refers to the region and not the modern language nor modern tribes with the same name. Incidentally, the Egyptian word for gold is nub. Because the name kash is used in Egyptian inscriptions, this is perhaps the most appropriate term to use, as is done by the author.

http://www.classics.und.ac.za/reviews/0052wel.htm

<Moderator's note: I removed the complete copies of the reviews an book descriptions. The links are given to the appropriate sites where those who are interested can look them up Smile >
kendo
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: ETHIOPIA Reply with quote

Sorry i could not edited some of my comments above but folks should get the idea.
greeks and romans used the word ethiopia meaning land of burnt faces-meaning blacks and it was really used in ancient times for kush, not modern day ethiopia,modern day ethiopian has nothing to do with ancient ethiopia in the sudan and southern modern egypt.
lower nubia in southern egypt belongs to the sudan but the british as we know split lower nubia up .
kendo
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Nubia and the arabs Reply with quote

Arabs called the region south of egypt sudan-meaning land of the blacks.
i do not know what modern egyptain text books teach about nubia,because i have notice recently mant arab egyptians coming out and rewritting history but earlier arabs in egypt knew clearly the region south of egypt was the land of truly black folks and they should know since they wrote about the nubian kingdoms that were more advanced than the arab culture (arabs writers mention that by the way)and arab writers wrote how they lost the war when they tried to invade nubia.
kendo
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: A superpower Reply with quote

As we know some of the meriotic texts could be understood and kush was a major superpower when rome ,egypt,persia,assyria were around.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nubia is an interesting area of study. I think I had seen the book by Bianchi.

Do you actually have these books yourself?

I like Morkot's book as well.

Lack of time stops me from reading up on Nubia some more. The civilization that existed at Meroe and Napata was quite splendid.

It seems harder to trace back to earlier times because the area was divided up into so many states: Irya, Wawat, etc. There is quite a bit of mention of the people in the trading that the egyptians did with the south dating all the way back to the old kingdom.
kendo
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: bianchi and morkot Reply with quote

anneke wrote:

Lack of time stops me from reading up on Nubia some more. The civilization that existed at Meroe and Napata was quite splendid.

It seems harder to trace back to earlier times because the area was divided up into so many states: Irya, Wawat, etc. There is quite a bit of mention of the people in the trading that the egyptians did with the south dating all the way back to the old kingdom.

The book by bianchi i have on hold at the library and it's on order but i have talk to folks who have more info about so i am ready to read it was the library alerts me.
morkot's book i have not read yet but we both talk to each other about the book by email and he his a expert on egypt and nubia as well
kendo
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: bianchi and morkot Reply with quote

kendo wrote:
anneke wrote:

The book by bianchi i have on hold at the library and it's on order but i have talk to folks who have more info about it so i am ready to read it once the library alerts me.
morkot's book i have not read yet but we both talked to each other about the book by email and he his a expert on egypt and nubia as well

I guess there is no way to go back and to edit some things.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Nubia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: