Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Memphite Necropolis (Saqqara, Dashur,etc.) - New Kingdom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: The Memphite Necropolis (Saqqara, Dashur,etc.) - New Kingdom Reply with quote

I was just looking at some of the people who are known/thought to have been buried in Saqqara and Dashur.

I have found so far that Nehesy, the leader of the expedition to Punt of Hatshepsut, may be the earliest New Kingdom burial.
There are much much older tombs and pyramids of course, but Nehesy seems to be the first 18th dynasty burial. I don't know of any 17th dynasty burials.

The necropolis was also more active under Amenhotep III than I previously thought. It does make sense though, given how important Memphis was.

I noticed on the Griffith institute site that there was even a chief of the necropolis works under Amenhotep IV (i.e. very early Akhenaten).
It made me wonder if the activity continued during the later reign of Akhenaten as well.

Under Tutankhamen the necropolis seems to have become quite a beehive of activity. Horemheb, Maya, and several others had temple-tombs erected.

There are also quite a few nobles from the time of Ramesses II buried there. Again, the proximity to Memphis and Pi-Ramesses would make this general area the "homebase" for seevral well known nobles.

I have the list split up in 18th and 19th dynasty tombs and it is here:

click here for a list of NEw Kingdom Tombs in Saqqara (and some in Dashur)
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great list Anneke Very Happy very surveyable arranged.

Last week I had odered the book of Boyo Ockinga about the tomb of Amenemone at Saqqara. I'm very curious about it. I love to read excavations raports.I have already a book of Ockinga,its about the tutors of Tutankhamun, as I mentioned earlier.
Do you have that book about the tomb of Amenemone?

Amenemone the Chief Goldsmith : a new kingdom Tomb in the Teti cemetery at Saqqara / Boyo G. Ockinga. - Oxford : Aris and Phillips, 2004. - 163, 88 S. : zahlr. Ill. - (The Australian Centre for Egyptology reports; 22)
ISBN 0-85668-817-7

2005 D 1535
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rozette

I don't have the book you mentioned.
I do have an article Dr Ockinga wrote for the Friends of Saqqaraa Newsletter.
It's quite interesting Very Happy
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote Anneke,
I do have an article Dr Ockinga wrote for the Friends of Saqqara Newsletter.

Anneke Smile , you may know this already, but I find it very interesting to read in the book about "Amenemone The chief Goldsmith"that on some of the reliefs of deities the jewellery has a very detailed representation.
On the pictures of the CD-Rom included by the book with 134 photographs you can see the details very clearly , on some pictures you can see the original color too.

According to B. Ockinga this focus on the details of items of jewellery in the reliefs must have been influenced by Amenemone's activity as Chief of Goldsmiths.
This attention to detail is especially obvious when constrasted with the representation of jewellery worn by deities in reliefs from the tomb of Horemheb and Maya, because of their high quality, one might expect to find these details, but in fact they are not present.

It has been suggested that the Amenemone who is represented in the Saqqara tomb of Tut's treasurer, Maya, may be identified with Amenemone. If we accept this fifa, then Amenemone was of the same generation of Maya and Horemheb. It seems likely then that he too served the same monarch('s) as these men, Tut, and quite possible before him Akhenaten.

Also according to Ockinga, it is probably not going too far to suggest that he was involved with the production of some of the famous jewellery found in the tomb of Tut, one of the kings he served. The details of the corslet of RE-Harakhte-Atum on the stele(very beautiful photo) call to mind the very elaborate corselet from the tomb of Tutankhamun.

I have a picture of the corslet of Tut in one of my books and I must say that you see indeed the resemblance Smile .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: