Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Paul Doherty

View previous topic :: View next topic  
akhenaten
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Paul Doherty Reply with quote

Most of his is medieval murder, but there is an excellent Egyptian series set in the reign of Hatshepsut. Pick them up if you can!

The Mask of Ra
The Horus Killings
The Anubis Slayings
The Slayers of Seth
The Assassins of Isis

They're all excellent, but Anubis has an absolutely ingenious "locked-room" mystery in it. Seth is about a serial killer and is the best of the bunch, with a thrilling denounement that leaves you cold.
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thumbup

Hi akhenaten,

I'm always on the look-out for some good novels to read, especially ones set in Ancient Egypt. I've never read any of Paul Doherty's books and I've just seen the Mask Of Ra advertised for sale, so I'm thinking now that I should definately get it Exclamation

The only authors that I normally read are Christian Jacq (which I think I've already mentioned to you before Very Happy ) and Elizabeth Peters' The Amelia Peabody series.

I know that you said the Seth and Anubis ones are better, but I didn't know if they were in any kind of order Embarassed

cheers Thanx again.

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed Doherty's books as well.

Quote:
Elizabeth Peters' The Amelia Peabody series.

Love that series. There's a new book coming out this month (may even be this week). I'm really looking forward to reading it.
akhenaten
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daughter_Of_SETI wrote:
thumbup

I know that you said the Seth and Anubis ones are better, but I didn't know if they were in any kind of order Embarassed

cheers Thanx again.

The order runs thus:

The Mask Of Ra
The Horus Killings
The Anubis Slayings
The Slayers Of Seth
The Assassins Of Isis

There is also an excellent Amerotke (main character) story featured in the Mammoth Book Of Egyptian Whodunnits, entitled "Or You Can Drink The Wine...?". It's shorter but just as clever. I'm not sure where that one runs in the order but it doesn't really matter, so long as the main novels are read sequentially.

Hope that helps!

James
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: