Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who was Sehetep-Aten?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:45 am    Post subject: Who was Sehetep-Aten? Reply with quote

The noble May has several titles listed in his tomb in Amarna:
Fan-bearer on the right hand of the King, Royal scribe, scribe of recruits, Steward of the house of Sehetep-Aten, Steward of the house of Waenra in Heliopolis, Overseer of cattle of the estate of Ra in Heliopolis, Overseer of all the works of the King, General of the Lord of the Two Lands.

An interesting one is: Steward of the house of Sehetep-Aten
De Garies Davies mentions in his book that Sehetep-Aten was likely a royal person!

There is also a text on an ostraca from Amarna:
The scribe May of the City of Assiut to the scribe Meh:
Write! Please issue gypsum for the house of Sehetep-Aten, l.p.h. and the house of Nebmare (Amenhotep III), l.p.h.

I wonder if the l.p.h. could mean that this is a name for Akhenaten?
Also: if you change Aten to Amen, we get Se-hetep-Amen. Could that be an attempt to change the name of Amenhotep into Atenhotep? Written HetepAten in this case?

It's pure speculation of course, but I found the mention of this individual rather interesting. I also wonder if the house referred to may be a palace in Heliopolis? Although it would be strange to have a house of Sehetep-Aten and a house of Waenre, if these people were indeed the same person.

I can't find anything else about this person on the web besides the page about May's tomb in Amarna on:
http://www.mcdonald.cam.ac.uk/Projects/Amarna/guidebook/Places%20of%20Interest/ST/southtombfourteen.htm
Gerard
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to J.Breasted BAR II 995 & 997 note b Sehetep-Aten [Sending-Aton-to-Rest] is a temple. In the Hymn of Aÿ (Rock VI, p20; pl XXV,21) N.deG.Davies translated 'Sehetep-Aten' by 'propitiates the Aten'. It is interesting to note that this part of the Hymn is in relation with Nefertiti.

L.P.H might be found after a 'building', such as pr-aA.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that info. I somehow missed the note that Breasted thought it was a temple. That makes sense too.

I'm no expert on hieroglyphs, but the writing of "se-hetep-aten" in the titles of May (Plate V, 4th column left jamb, Rocktombs V) looks rather different to me than the epithet (?) used in the hymn by Ay (Rock VI, p20; pl XXV,21). But that could be my lack of knowledge Smile
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ostraca from the scribe from Assiut (Asyut) is interesting. That small piece of text does make it sound like it is referring to a temple (but of a person?).

I looked up Assiut in Wilkinson's Complete Temples, and the town was in ancient times the nome capital Zawty and several temples must have existed there (especially some dedicated to the local god Wepwapet).

But if it's the temple of Se-hetep-Aten, then that could still refer to a person (similar to the house of Nebmare, which would be a temple of Amenhotep III). Unless it refers to the god Aten itself.
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote Anneke,
I also wonder if the house referred to may be a palace in heliopolis?

I found a report on the 1st Season of Excavations at matariya/Heliopolis carried out from augyst 25th till october 1st 2005.

The stratum is followed by the building activity of the New Kingdom in the temple precinct of Heliopolis. The earliest finds of that period are two amphora handles of Thutmosis I on imported palestine amphorae (fig. 7).

Heliopolis as centre of the Egyptian solar cult was able to mentain its position also during the revolution of Amarna.
Several inscriptions and relief fragment attest the activity of Akhenaten by embellishing and building in the temple of Heliopolis thanks to the subsequent activity of Ramses II.
The temples of the Amarna period were immediately dismantled before having fallen into decay and preserved by the masonry of the Ramesside Period. The finds are on the one side fragments of talatat-blocks from the temple built by Akhenaten.
One fragments bears the advanced name of the god Aten, introduced after year 6. Queen Nofretete appears on another block.
The decoration of this temple building can be dated there for to the middle of the Amarna Period. The name and title of Aten and Nofretete do not bear any traces of damages. On the other side, the finds can be attributed to the embellishment of the temple by royal statues. From these, bases of different materials are preserved. A fragment of a basis made of red quarzite preserved parts of the name of the god Aten „[…] in his jubilee festivals […]“ zeigt (fig. Cool4.
The entire layout of the temple precinct changed in the reign of Ramses II. The substructure of limestone blocks, completely lost by later sone robberies, was framed by ca. 4 layers of basalt slabs from the nearby deposits at Abu Zaabel north of Cairo 5.
The project made use of the preceeding building of the Amarna Period.Evidence for a dating to the Ramesside Period is given by the absence of pottery of the Middle Kingdom and the large amount of e.g. beer jars of the 19th - 20th Dynasty.
4Excavation-No.: N24-1-3; Magazin Tell Hisn, Register-No. 3875; some other fragments of statue-bases of grey granit and of fine limestone, as well as relief fragments of talatat-blocks, have been found in sondages in the same area in April and May 2005. 5R./D. Klemm, Steine und Steinbrüche im Alten Ägypten, Heidelberg 1993, p. 413 ff..
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Link to htm version of text

On the link that I provided you will find the Report in HTML- version.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that report Rozette.
I had heard something about material from the Amarna period at Heliopolis. I think it was also mentioned when they recently discovered statues belonging to Ramses II at Heliopolis. But it's interesting to see more about the finds from the time of Akhenaten.
(I downloaded the pdf file so I can read it later)

Considering the cult of Re was still seemingly accepted, one would expect to see some activity at Heliopolis during the reign of Akhenaten.

The year 6 is interesting. That is well after the move to Akhetaten.

I have seen articles (by Jacobus van Dijk) that point to the identification of the courtier May from Amarna with Maya, the treasurer under Tut and Horemheb.

It seems May(a) may have then have performed some of his duties at Heliopolis. That makes the return to Saqqara (qua tomb) rather understandable. I don't think he ever refers to any duties in Heliopolis in his tomb though.

Maya does claim (on a pylon) to have been raised along with the royals. I wonder if he may have been a child of the Kap then. He must have grown up with Akhenaten then? Interesting that this may have landed him a job in the temple at Heliopolis Very Happy
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it always interesting to read when they discoverd talatat from the reign of Akhenaten.There is so many important information about this time period missing. It seems to me that Akhenaten had built temples and shrines all over Egypt, and not only at Karnak and Akhetaten.
I know that they also found talatat at Abydos and Memphis, so I presume that he built there to.At Akhmim they found huge blocks from the time of Akhenaten.Maybe this was a structure built during his early reign.I also noticed that all these buildings are destroyed by Ramses II.

I found it interesting to read that the name of Aten and Nefertiti do not bear any trace of damage.And that the temple was built probably after Year 6.I hope that they find more important information about this Akhenaten temple in the near future Smile .

Quote Anneke: I have seen articles (by Jacobus van Dijk) that point to the identification of the courtier May from Amarn with Maya.........

I know also of these articles about Maya. He is argued to be identical with the Amarna official May, on account of new evidence in an inscription on a statue base in Copenhagen.
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rozette wrote:
Quote:
I know also of these articles about Maya. He is argued to be identical with the Amarna official May, on account of new evidence in an inscription on a statue base in Copenhagen.

The new evidence sounds really interesting. I've tended to think that the two men were the same but there had'nt been any real evidence to support it - until now anyway. Have you anymore info on the inscriptions?

Anneke wrote:
Quote:
There is also a text on an ostraca from Amarna:
The scribe May of the City of Assiut to the scribe Meh:
Write! Please issue gypsum for the house of Sehetep-Aten, l.p.h. and the house of Nebmare (Amenhotep III), l.p.h.

The mention of the Sehetep-Aten reminded me of a southern (Faras)Temple of Tutankhamun. The lady Taemwadjsy was the 'Superior of the Harem of Nebkheperure that resides in Sehetep-Netjeru'. I guess that would then mean something like 'sending the gods to rest'? I don't have the inscription but it would be interesting to know if 'l.p.h' followed the name of this temple, at a time when Tutankhamun was still alive.

You know all the times I have looked at May's notes and titles I always just vaguely assumed that the temple in his title was just another minor Aten temple - never thought until you mentioned it that it could possibly refer to a persons temple. Thats good spotting on your part I thought.

I don't think I've come across any other Sehetep - .... named temples in peoples titles, would be interesting to look up.
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sehetep was used in two of the names of Tutankhamen:
#

Nefer-hepu segereh-tawy sehetep-netjeru nebu "Dynamic of laws, who calms the Two Lands, who propitiates all the gods"
#

Golden Horus Name: Wetjes-khau sehetep-netjeru "Who displays the regalia, who propitiates all the gods"
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting! I had to look it up, but propitiate means to appease.

So Sehetep-Aten refers to appeasing Aten, while Sehetep-Netjeru means to appease (all) the gods.

I did a search and came across the mention of Sehetep-Netjeru as a Temple. Taemwadjsy the wife of Viceroy of Kush Amenhotep-Huy and later the wife of Khaemweset (and mother of Viceroy of Kush Paser). She was Chief of the Harem of Nebkheperure that resides in Sehetep-Netjeru (Faras).
According to Touregypt Faras was a Temple in Nubia.
This temple was later enlarge by Ramses II.

Would be interesting if Sehetep-Aten refers to a temple at Faras, Nubia.
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote anneke: There is also a text on a ostraca from Amarna.
The scribe May of the City of Assiut to the scribe Meh

I found a reference on digitalegypt about Akhenaten blocks found at Assiut (Gabra 1931).
I did a search but couldn't find much info.
It seems that there was a temple built in Assiut by Amenhotep IV early in his reign. They don't mentioned talatat, just like in Akhmim were they also found huge blocks from the reign of Amenhotep IV.

Gabra 1931. Sami Gabra.
Un Temple d'Aménophis IV a Assiout. Chronique d'Égypte. Bulletin périodique de la Fondation Égyptologique Reine Élisabeth, Bruxelles n. 11, Janvier 1931. 237-243

SIMPSON, William Kelly, Inscribed Material from the Pennsylvania-Yale Excavations at Abydos,
The inscribed objects in this catalogue derive from the finds in 1967-1969 .

Among the N.K. finds are a number of blocks from the Amarna Period, which probably come from a small structure of Akhnaton at Abydos from his early reign, this on the basis of the epithets used and a place name not attested at Amarna or Hermopolis.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about duplicating some of the info in your post Sesen.
For some strange reason I didn't notice your post when I responded.
Weird thing was that I even looked for it, because I had a feeling you would find this interesting Smile

Thanks for that info about Assiut Rozette. I had wondered about the temple there.
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In his book N. Reeves translate the title of Maya
Steward of the House of Sehetep-Aten,as Overseer of the House of Pacifying the Aten, page 136-137.
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maya identical with the Amarna official May

Quote Sesen : Have you anymore info on the inscriptions?

801-655-570

Maya Mjj, Overseer of the treasury,etc. (Saqqara tb. L527), Statue-pedestal, black granite, temp. Tutankhamun to Horemheb, in Copenhagen, NY carlsberg Glyptotek

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:O0BvOzA9p0wJ:www.ashmol.ox.ac.uk/gri/s17.pdf+statues+of+Maya+Egypt++Jacobus+van+Dijk&hl=nl&gl=be&ct=clnk&cd=5

van DIJK, Jacobus, The New Kingdom Necropolis of Memphis. Historical and Iconographical Studies. Proefschrift Rijksuniversiteit Groningen, [Groningen, 1993]. (17 x 24 cm; XII, 229 p., plans, fig., ill.).

This dissertation consists, apart from an introduction (with a summary of the contents) and an epilogue, of two parts containing articles, some of which have appeared already in print. Part 1 comprises three historical and biographical studies. First, the study (ch. 1) about general Horemheb as regent and potential successor under king Tutankhamun. An analysis of the dating of the several building phases of his Saqqara tomb leads to a new interpretation of this pre-royal career. Horemheb was appointed regent directly at Tutankhamun's accession and lost it at the sudden death of the king. Although entitled to the kingship, political intrigue of Ay and Ankhesenamun in connection with the struggle with the Hittites discarded him. Ay usurped the throne, and only after his death Horemheb was able to ascend it. Ch. 2 is a revised and enlarge version of the author's studies on Maya in OMRO 70 (1990), 23-28 and 71 (1991), 7-12. It is devoted to the biography of Maya, but has a somewhat provisional character, since the study of his tomb is still going on. Monuments and inscriptions permit to sketch his life, his career and his family relations. He is argued to be identical with the Amarna official May, on account of new evidence in an inscription on a statue base in Copenhagen. Ch. 3 (to be published in nearly identical form in G.T. Martin's forthcoming publication of the tomb of Tia and Tia) deals with the life and family relations of Tia, Treasurer of the Ramesseum under Ramses II and married with a sister of the king. He chose the narrow space for his tomb between those of Horemheb and Maya, because the Ramessides considered Horemheb the founder of the dynasty. Also attention is given to an assistant of Tia named Iurudef.

Part 2, containing religious and iconographical studies, begins with ch. 4 on the meaning of naophorous statues, mostly associated with temples. Such a statue figures among the funerary equipment shown in the reliefs of the tomb of Maya, and thirteen pieces in museums come from Memphite tombs (listed here). The religious symbolism is discussed, which is connected with the rites of the daily temple ritual: the owner awakes the god, and participates in the cycle of death and resurrection. For an earlier version see AEB 83.0854. Ch. 5 contains the publication of a new, fragmentary hymn to Osiris from the tomb of Horemheb. Osiris is here the nocturnal form of the sun god Re, a product of post-Amarna restoration. Most of it was published in AEB 91/1.0285. In ch. 6 the square columns decorated with djed-symbols on the arms of the owner are studied. They are typical of Ramesside Memphite tomb architecture; some 45 are known (listed). The djed, associated with Osiris and primeval creation, separates heaven and earth and lifts the newly born sun god from the waters above the horizon. By lifting the djed the owner participates in this act essential to his own rebirth. For an earlier version see AEB 86.0815. The last ch. 7 has grown out of the lemma in the LdÄ VI, 1389-1396, which is rewritten and extended. The breaking of the red pots was part of the burial ritual. A list of parallels to this typically Memphite scene, most prominent in Horemheb's tomb, is presented, and the origin, as early as the P.T., is discussed. The red pots represent the enemy, who has to be destroyed when the uncertain world after death is entered.

Ch. 8, the epilogue, is a reworked version of the author's contribution to the IFAO symposium "Memphis et ses nécropoles," published in 1988. It discusses the question of the sudden prominence of the Memphite necropolis after the Amarna Period. The officials had themselves rather buried far way from Thebes and the royal burial after the prerogatives Akhnaton had demanded in the private funerary cult of his high officials. The rise of Sokar made Memphis an interesting alternative. The tombs at Memphis combine tomb and private funerary temple features.

http://www.leidenuniv.nl/nino/aeb93/aeb93_4.html
ELISE
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Who was Sehetep-Aten? Reply with quote

anneke wrote:

Also: if you change Aten to Amen, we get Se-hetep-Amen. Could that be an attempt to change the name of Amenhotep into Atenhotep? Written HetepAten in this case?

Could it refer to Amenhotep III? rather than Amenhotep IV - two kings ruling together and both changing their names to an Atenist form at around the same time?

Or is it more likely to be a transitional stage in Akhenatens name change (Amenhotep iv - sehetepaten - akhenaten) with the final form coinciding with the founding of akhetaten?!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: