Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MUMMI FROM EGYPT(!!!!!!!!!!)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gamayka
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: MUMMI FROM EGYPT(!!!!!!!!!!) Reply with quote

SEE IT AT
http://www.treasurenet.com/f/index.php/topic,9070.msg59522.html#msg59522
PRINCE OF EGYPT
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting photos, gamayka. As a Moderator of this forum I should advise that we do not allow the advertising of other such sites, so in the future it would be best to post your pics through Egyptian Dreams; otherwise you risk having the post removed, but we'll let it go this time.

That being said I enjoyed reading the thread of posts that resulted from your pics. I don't know why some of the posters were getting bent out of shape, and there's certainly nothing wrong with the posting of pictures of mummies when it involves scientific and historical discussion or debate. (Although I must admit I laughed out loud at the mother-in-law joke--a certain amount of humor is always allowed, and expected, as long as it's tasteful.)

I must say I am a bit confused by a couple of the things you wrote. First:

Quote:
its nice to share some thing with you its my new find its mummy 7000 years old

There are definitely no deliberately ("man-made") mummified Egyptian bodies dating as far back as 5000 BCE. The most current findings (1997) are from Hierakonpolis in graves dating to the Naqada II phase (3700-3200 BCE), so at most about 5,500 years ago. There was definitely no evisceration and the use of natron is inconclusive, but resins were applied to the bodies and they were wrapped in bandages and shrouds; they were buried in a flexed position with their heads toward the east, facing south. These constitute the oldest proof of artificial mummification in Egypt of which I'm personally aware.

Of course, prior to this even bodies interred without any form of "embalmment" were often fairly well desiccated by the hot sands and quite well preserved in that manner; we have one such Naqada mummy in our exhibit at the Field Museum--she was remarkably preserved by the desert sands. Bodies from predynastic times, whether naturally or artificially preserved, were invariably buried in a flexed or fetal position, which your mummy clearly is not. The manner in which this body is wrapped is not akin to prehistoric times, either.

Might I ask, and I apologize if I missed it in the other forum, but where in Egypt was this mummy discovered? Which necropolis or site? The GPR sounds like fascinating work, by the way.

Second:
Quote:
ts not the oldest mummy cose the Egyptian dynasty more than 18000 BC

You typed "18000 BC," and I wanted to clarify. I'm confused by this, or maybe it's your termonology that I'm asking about. The dynastic period didn't begin until about 3100 or 3050 BCE. Of course there is ample evidence of the predynastic times, but not that far back. We see the Egyptians of prehistory domesticating cattle about 8000 years ago, farming shortly thereafter, and exploiting gold and other minerals...but 16,000 years ago? I'm not aware of even naturally mummified bodies dating that far back into Egyptian prehistory.

Again, if you wish to post your pictures, please feel free to do so right here in the forum or through a link to a web host such as Photobucket. Thanks. Wink

Visit my blog!
gamayka
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dear kmt_sesh
at first thanks a lot for your interesting .im sorry about using other forum to abload the pic. but i tried several times to do that but fall but will try to do again and im sorry to make you confused . but im glade that ihave more than evidence indicates that a developed Egyptian society has existed for much longer than 8000 years ago
we know that the Egyptian history is broken in several different periods according to the dynasty of the ruling pharaoh. The dating of
events in Egyptian history is still a subject of research.
about your question for the discovered place it was (alwahat al bahria)
and about the GPR personally after 4 years from using it ican say 70% it work and ithink its great result.and by the way if you see my topic for the wooden status its more than 5000 ago its for king called abeto.
finley thanks again for your kind
yours(PRINCE OF EGYPT)
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...we know that the Egyptian history is broken in several different periods according to the dynasty of the ruling pharaoh. The dating of
events in Egyptian history is still a subject of research.

This is certainly true. We have yet to arrive at a solid chronology of most of ancient Egypt's history, though it's pretty reliable. It wasn't till the Assyrian invasion of the Late Period that we were left with a more reliable framework for our "historical calendar." Still, at any one time the disparity in question is probably no more than 200 years, if that. And that's a blink of the eye as far as the history of ancient Egypt is concerned. We're talking a couple of hundred years, not a couple of thousand.

Quote:
about your question for the discovered place it was (alwahat al bahria)

This is the Bahariya Oasis area, isn't it? I was wondering because the style of wrapping of the mummy in your photographs reminds me of styles I've seen in the wrappings of poor people's burials from the Roman Period.

Visit my blog!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mummification All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: