Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oldest residential building found in Maadi, south of Cairo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pre-dynastic Egypt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Oldest residential building found in Maadi, south of Cairo Reply with quote

http://www.algomhuria.net.eg/gazette/1/
This is one of those news items that makes me want to offer to chew off my own arm for more information. I'll try to find out more about it, but in the mean time here's the brief offering from the Egyptian Gazette: "An Egyptian-German expedition unearthed the oldest residential building in Maadi, south of Cairo. The pre-historic building dates back to around 10,000 years. The excavators discovered an entrance leading to a room or a cave hewn in a mountain that leads to a passage, which is about 5 1/2 metre high and 70 centemetres wide. The building was built from stones and pebbles, exquisitely covered with mud." Maadi is a suburb of Cairo, lying to the south, and has already produced some of the most important prehistoric data available for northern Egypt.

This item comes from Andy Byrnes' newsblog and she has a link to more information about Maadi:
http://www.faiyum.historians.co.uk/html/chalcolithic__maadi-buto_.html#Maadi

The general information on Andy's is really interesting. Maadi was thought to be contemporary with Naqada I and II. And previous dating of the site seems to place it at roughly 3900-3200BC.

I'm curious what the 10,000 year old objects are then.
The NAqada period is much later. This would show people occupying the site some 4,000 years before Naqada.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pre-dynastic Egypt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: