Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nubia in the third intermediate period

View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Nubia in the third intermediate period Reply with quote

I was reading Morkot and some of the comments there are rather interesting. I had heard/read that the end of the 20th dynasty pretty much meant the end of the occupation/control of Nubia.
It seems pretty clear that Upper Nubia was in the hands of the Nubians in that time. But it seems that the Egyptians may have been able to hold on to a small piece (maybe around Aswan?).

In the 21st dynasty:
Piankh has title of King's Son of Kush
Nesikhons, wife of HPA Pinudjem II has the title of Viceroy of Kush.

In the 22nd dynasty
[no name] King's Son of Kush,Overseer of the Southern Lands, Prophet of Khnum - reign of Osorkon II
Hat-nakht, King's Son of Kush,Overseer of the Southern Lands reign of Takelot II
Pamiu, Vizier, Viceroy reign of Osorkon III en Takelot III
Ankh-Osorkon, Vizier, Overseer of the Southern Lands, Prophet of Khnum tijdens reign of Takelot III?

I find this rather interesting. Also in view of the inscriptions of Queen Katimala at Semna which show that there are some early Napatan Kings and Queens during the 21st/22nd dynasty.

The inscription also mentions the frequent attacks on their kingdom and gives the impression of a pretty turbulent time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Nubia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: