Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1st dynasty Pyramids

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Psusennes III
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:03 pm    Post subject: 1st dynasty Pyramids Reply with quote

According to the Africanus and Eusebius versions of the book of Manetho: the forth king of the 1st dynasty "Uenphes" or "Vavenephis" built pyramids near the town Cho or Kochome (identified with Sakkara)

Question are there any structures from the first dynasty with similar features to a step-pyramid? In sakkara or in other locations?
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked on touregypt, and they have the 4th King of the 1st dynasty as "Den"
http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/den.htm

He was supposedly buried at Abydos. A very important courtier of his, named Hemaka, was buried at Saqqara however.

I always thought that the first pyramid was constructed under Djoser in the 3rd dynasty.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a site with more information, including a map showing where Den was buried in Saqqara:
http://www.narmer.pl/map/sakkara_en.htm

It looks like a mastaba tomb to me.

I wonder if by the time Manetho was writing his chronicles, this period was so far in the past that he did not know all the facts?
The other possibility is of course that the historians you mentioned got their facts confused.
Djehtinefer
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be that they were talking about King Enezib (Anedjib), the interior of the superstructure of his mastaba tomb at Saqarra was found to contain a second structure concealed within the first. This was in step pyramid form. Although it is the only tomb that this has been found.

[Source: W.B. Emery (1972) Archaic Egypt, Penguin Books p.144-146]
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Djehtinefer wrote:
It could be that they were talking about King Enezib (Anedjib), the interior of the superstructure of his mastaba tomb at Saqarra was found to contain a second structure concealed within the first. This was in step pyramid form. Although it is the only tomb that this has been found.

[Source: W.B. Emery (1972) Archaic Egypt, Penguin Books p.144-146]

There was supposedly a willful destruction of the early dynastic tombs.
I wonder if someone like Imhotep would have seen the interior of Anedjib's tomb, and if that sparked the building of pyramids in the 3rd dynasty?
Psusennes III
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also read the W.B. Emery story about their excavations at Sakkara, they have discovered many tombs from the 1st dynasty but here they tell about a nobles tomb Nebetka under the 5th king of the dynasty.

This tomb contained a sub construction shaped as a step-piramid. But unfortunatly Nebetka wasn't a king, and furthermore the book also says that this was the only tomb with such a sub-structure. But this and the story from Djehtinefer might be the same story.

But... the 5th king according to Manetho's story is Usaphaidos (Den) the son of Uenephes (maybe Djet), while Miebidos (Anedjib) was the son of Den.

I think the story might have a point but maybe the names are not right: Den is indeed the 4th king according to modern chronology, but as we look at Manetho and even the Turin Canon mentions Den as the 5th king.
Maybe the answer lies in the first female ruler Merneith, Although in the Africanus version all kings are mentioned as sons of the previous king.

Anneke is also right to say that maybe Manetho lived far to late, and copying his work didn't do much good either. But Manetho also mentions Imhotep but he is not mentioned as a pyramid builder, he's mentioned as "the inventor of the art to build with hewn stone" which might be possible, as he just build with hewn stone the step-pyramid for Djoser instead of building with mud-bricks. This doesn't make him the first pyramid builder.

All a bit confusing isn't it, I wish I could have been there.

all of you many thanks for your feed back, if you find more please do not hesitate to post it. I'll keep on reading too. (trust me) Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: