Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thutmose III: A New Biography

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Thutmose III: A New Biography Reply with quote

Has anyone read this?: Thutmose III: A New Biography by Eric Cline & David O'Connor. I haven't read it although I'm seriously thinking of getting it, but it's really expensive, so I was wondering if anyone had any views on it before I purchase it. Very Happy

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it and it's a very interesting read. There are several chapters written by different authors.

From atleest.com:
"* Thutmose III includes an overview of his life, and detailed examinations of civil administration, the religion and cults, the monumental architecture and royal building program, royal tombs and iconography, royal portraiture and ideology, the artistic production, the Northern and Southern campaigns, as well as the Aegean and other foreign visitors to Egypt during Thutmose's time. Finally, the book concludes with a look at the end of his reign and the accession of Amenhotep II."

Chapters (with page number) are:
1 Thutmose III : an enigmatic pharaoh / David O'Connor 1
2 Early reign of Thutmose III : an unorthodox mantle of coregency / Peter F. Dorman 39
3 Administration in the reign of Thutmose III / Betsy M. Bryan 69
4 Religion and cult during the time of Thutmose III / Lana Troy 123
5 Monumental architecture and the royal building program of Thutmose III / Piotr Laskowski 183
6 building activities of Thutmose III in the Valley of the Kings / Catharine H. Roehrig 238
7 Royal portrait and ideology : evolution and signification of the statuary of Thutmose III / Dimitri Laboury 260
8 artistic production of the reign of Thutmose III / Arielle P. Kozloff 292
9 northern wars of Thutmose III / Donald B. Redford 325
10 Covetous eyes south : the background to Egypt's domination of Nubia by the reign of Thutmose III / Anthony J. Spalinger 344
11 Foreigners in Egypt in the time of Hatshepsut and Thutmose III / Diamantis Panagiotopoulos 370
12 end of the reign and the accession of Amenhotep II / Peter Der Manuelian 413
Description xvii, 534 p., [34] p. of plates : ill. ; 24 cm.
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information Anneke. Very Happy

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a book I would just love.

Especially liked the look of this chapter:
"11 Foreigners in Egypt in the time of Hatshepsut and Thutmose III / Diamantis Panagiotopoulos 370"

and this one:

"3 Administration in the reign of Thutmose III / Betsy M. Bryan 69 "

but really they all look fascinating Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: