Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KV5 Skelet with crossed arms

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: KV5 Skelet with crossed arms Reply with quote

KV5 Skelet with crossed arms

I wonder why a skelet found in chamber 02 of KV5 was buried with the arms crossed over the chest in a distinctively royal position.
I found the picture of the skelet on the site of the Theban Royal Mummy project.

http://members.tripod.com/anubis4_2000/mummypages2/UnidentifiedB.htm

I always thought that only king's were buried with the arms crossed in that time period. If this is a son (prince) of Ramses II why was he buried like that ?
It seems that there is no evidence of re-use of KV5 after the reign of Ramses II.

http://www.thebanmappingproject.com/sites/browse_tomb_819.html http://www.thebanmappingproject.com/sites/browse_component_775.html
Robson
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: KV5 Skelet with crossed arms Reply with quote

Rozette wrote:

I always thought that only king's were buried with the arms crossed in that time period. If this is a son (prince) of Ramses II why was he buried like that ?

It would be possible if this prince acted as co-regent ('Junior-Pharaoh') to his father as Merneptah did from the year 55/56. This mummy would be Amun-her-khopeshef, Ramses Junior or even Khaemwaset, all them named 'Elder King's Bodily Son' and possibly co-regents for some period.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crossing the arms of mummified pharaohs became a regular practice with Amunhotep I; their fists were generally in clenched positions so as to hold scepters, although the hands of Seti I were left flat and open on the chest. No rule is absolute, after all.

This includes crossing the arms. It has been noted with numerous bodies of people who were not pharaohs but were among the royal clique; another good example besides your skeleton, Rozette, is the magnificently preserved body of Yuya. Err, sorry, that's not who I was looking for, but according to Google her name is Yuya. Very Happy Here's the picture I was looking for.

In later times it became rather common for people not of royal rank to be interred with their arms crossed, more than likely to emulate the king.

Another thing that's worth mentioning is the misconception that all queens were buried with one arm crossed over the chest. Some bodies of royal women have of course been found in that pose, but it would actually appear to be quite uncommon.

Visit my blog!
Robson
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, IMHO Yuya's hands looks rather to be in prayer, not crossed on the chest like the skeleton's in KV5.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yuya may not be the best example--he's just who came to mind when I read Rozette's post. And the open hands are similar to the mummy of Seti I, which is what that reminded me of. It just goes to show that kings weren't the only ones buried with crossed arms, though for common men it was more the tradition to have the hands crossed over the privates or with the arms along the legs, hands atop the thighs (though that position was equally if not more common for women). Wink

Put another way, as I've been taught, avoid thinking in terms of "always" and "never" because you will invariably encounter many exceptions.

Visit my blog!
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information kmt_sesh and Robson Very Happy
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're most welcome, and have a great weekend, Rozette. Wink

Visit my blog!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: