Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Breaking News : KV 64 -- New tomb identified ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the same thing, that Hawass might be setting himself up. This remark seems patently absurd, unless I'm just misunderstanding it:

Quote:
...It seems to me that Mr. Reeves wants publicity more than conducting his work through a scientific approach. For this reason, I am writing you to state that the information is not true.

This sort of odd blanket-decision is kind of typical of Hawass, however. Just because it's something with which he disagrees, or is about someone with whom he disagrees, he decides in the end it must be a non-issue. Yeah, that's the best way to handle it. Rolling Eyes

Hawass is correct in saying that the anomaly might be something natural and not a tomb at all, but we can't know that unless someone does the field work and goes out there to excavate. Pretending it "is not true" accomplishes nothing.

Visit my blog!
Diorite
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee, I wonder what would happen if Zahi experiences a premature demise? That'd be one way to circumvent him.

Diorite
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, now, Diorite, play nice. What are you, part-time geologist and part-time assassin? Not planning anything sinister, are you? Laughing

To an extent, your jest is darkly true. A lot of the odd and stringent proscriptions in place in Egypt may remain till after he retires, such as the minimal genetic studies of mummies in the SCA's care.

What strikes me as amusing is that even laypeople such as we can easily pick out his blunders and oddities. You can imagine what other Egyptologists and scholars must think when they have to work with him.

Visit my blog!
Diorite
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:
Now, now, Diorite, play nice. What are you, part-time geologist and part-time assassin? Not planning anything sinister, are you? Laughing

I'm not, but my evil twin is! Twisted Evil

Back to the possible KV-64:

I'm wondering if it isn't the mummy cache that goes with the empty coffins in KV-63.

I can easily see the following scenario: Tut dies. As long as he was alive, interred family members could be expected to rest unmolested. But now, the priests are not so sure. So they decide to move said family members and they practice a little shell game - excavating 2 pit "tombs" near the co-opted tomb they use for Tut. Someone who is experienced can spot disturbed earth. Putting the 2 pits close to his tomb and doing so at the time of the burial would help obscure where they put the relatives. His 2 premature babies are put in with him. The others are taken out of their coffins and the stuff is split from the bodies (which shell is the pea under?).

Diorite
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting theory, Diorite. I can see you've put some thought into it. So, should we expect to see you put it into words for the enxt issue of KMT? Very Happy

I'd have to say my own beliefs are somewhat more prosaic. That's my fancy way of saying "not as interesting." To me KV63 is not much more than KV54, an embalmer's cache. The elaborate coffins do throw that into question, because most likely at least some of them at one time contained bodies, so maybe indeed the bodies lay somewhere else for us to find.

It's hard to say, though, until the so-called KV64 is excavated. Until then no one can say with authority what it might be.

So get your evil twin to work! Razz

Visit my blog!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: