Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The moon god Yah
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Diorite
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"One of the false gods the Jews worshipped was YAH. This pagan idol has its roots in Babylon and Egypt. This is the lunar or moon god. In Babylon the moon god is called Ia or Ya. It has both a female and a male identity. In Egypt the Babylon female Ia or Ya" was changed into a male god and the female god was named "Shua" and made the sky god. When a person then combines these forms into Iashua or Yashua, they have made the moon god, the sky god.
This Babylonian/Egypt deity is also called Baal throughout the Scriptures. Th Jews did worship the moon god when they apostated into idolatry from the true god Ehyeh asher Ehyeh (Elohim/Adonai).
This moon god also has the name of Thoth."

Quote:
There is a great deal of controversy as to whether this Yah is YHWH the Hebrew god, and is the golden calf a representation of YHWH. The etymology of the names get scrutinized and argued over, and so it goes on.

I read or heard somewhere (one of the banes of my existence, I remember stuff, just not where it comes from) about the origin of Yahweh. The story was that he started out as two early Cannanite gods, Yah and his consort Weh, as many of the Canaanite gods were pairs. My dim recollection was that he was a sun god, but it might have been moon god. Anyway, with time he got combined into a single god, Yahweh, containing the characteristics of both original gods.

Diorite
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had never heard that theory. Interesting.

I actually thought that there is evidence of a female counterpart called Ashera who was worshipped along with Yahweh (in ancient times).
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard that Yahweh had a female counterpart too...she had another name though, beginning with S if I can remember...
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Religious scholars have found numerous female deities that existed in the nascent Judaic religion. We're talking way back, when Judaism was first forming probably as an offshoot of a Canaanite group. I've studied very little about the most ancient periods of Judaism, but know that Yahweh existed as one of many, many Canaanite deities long before he became the great god of the early Jewish peoples. And like most early religions, many of the prominent male gods had a female consort. I cannot think of the name of Yahweh's consort (or possibly consorts?) myself, though.

Visit my blog!
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:
I cannot think of the name of Yahweh's consort (or possibly consorts?) myself, though.

According to the article in the archeology magazine you recommended to me some scholars think that Asherah was the consort of Yahweh.

She's also considered the consort of El.
The artifacts shown in the article depicting Asherah date back to ca. 1300-1000 BC.

Her depictions are rather varied. In one plaque she's flanked by 2 lions. In another plaque she looks like one of those priestesses from Crete (the ones with the bare breasts and holding 2 snakes)
There is also one image from 1300 BC which shows Ashera with snakes and a lion, and Ashera herself looks somewhat like Hathor to me.
She has the hairdo often associated with Hathor, her ears stick out (resemble cow ears if you use your imagination) and she definitely has a modius on her head.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
According to the article in the archeology magazine you recommended to me some scholars think that Asherah was the consort of Yahweh.

Can you believe that same issue is still sitting unread two feet from me on my desk? For shame! I'll get around to it, but somebody really needs to figure out how to add more hours of free time to each and every day.

Visit my blog!
Brunhilde
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Asherah the "Queen of Heaven" Yahweh speaks against in Jeremiah?
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is Asherah the "Queen of Heaven" Yahweh speaks against in Jeremiah?

I'd say this is her. Asherah was a major Semitic deity at the time the Judaic Yahweh was developing in status, and she went by many names depending on where you lived in the Near East: Asherah among the Syrian peoples (the name "Asherah" comes from the Hebrew language), Ashratu among the Akkadians, Ashertu among the Hittites, etc. She was the consort of the great Canaanite god El (from whom some scholars believe Yahweh developed), and is also known by the name Astarte--the version most Egyptophiles will recognize. This was probably the same goddess who was becoming popular in certain areas of Egypt by Dynasty 18.

Visit my blog!
sonofthemummy
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: jaH(w) Reply with quote

In the Budge Papyrus, our main source for the Instruction of Amenemope, the author says that it is Iahu who will set things right, and seems to equate Iahu with God. In a couple of places, the text uses the more full spelling, with the hieratic symbol for w at the end. Since Coptic has iooh as the word for "moon", some think that this may have been the way it was pronounced in Middle Egyptian.

Many modern Egyptological sources say that Iah is "a form of Thoth", and the determinative for his name sometimes shows an ibis-headed deity. Amenemope says, "Where is a god so great as Thoth, who designed these things and assebled them?"

Two chapters of the Book of Proverbs in the Bible are taken right from Amenemope, down to the mention of "this book of thirty chapters". So, Iahu may have been a philosophical prototype for Yahweh, in some ways. There is a papyrus showing the harvest moon and the caption has a feminine ending as iaHyt. I think that the addition of the final -w in Amenemope may have been a way of personifying the othewise neuter noun, iaH.
sonofthemummy
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:26 am    Post subject: Hymn to Osiris-Iah Reply with quote

I don't have my copy of Osiris and the Egyptian Ressurection by Budge handy, but Jack Dean on the Thoth Scribe group mentioned that there is a hymn to Osiris-Iah(w) included in that book.

As far as I can tell, in some regards, Osiris is symbolized by the new moon, whereas Thoth is more connected with the full moon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: