Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Portable Fiber Laser Cleans Ancient Tomb

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Portable Fiber Laser Cleans Ancient Tomb Reply with quote

I found this article rather fascinating. The author describes how German conservators are working with laser technology to clean the tomb of Neferhotep, a senior Egyptian scribe who served in the temple of the god Amun.

"The art of using the laser system is to adjust the power density, repetition rate and velocity of the beam across the surface so that dirt is removed without damaging the underlying paint and the subsurface."

The method allows the conservators to remove thin layers of dirt at a time.
They mention specifically that it works very well on the white area because of the fact that the reflective properties of the white surface are very different from those of the dirt.

"Although cleaning with a laser is still time-consuming, the researchers found it much faster than traditional methods in some circumstances. The ability to ablate very thin layers was also an advantage. However, compared with traditional chemical or mechanical methods, it is more expensive, and it was found to discolor some pigments in advance trials on test pieces in the laboratory."

I wonder if they will start using it in combination with the other techniques. If there are colors that do not suffer any effects from the laser treatments, then it may be a way to quickly clean areas of the surface and leave certain section to be treated with the chemical or mechanical methods.

The article can be found here:
http://www.photonics.com/content/spectra/2006/August/applications/83742.aspx
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Its great to hear of advances or adaptions of technology in tools for archaeology. And something that is relatively non-invasive too, even if it could only be used for some colours.
The conservators need all the help they can get.
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'm really bad at working out date etc. So, I was just wondering if this is the Neferhotep buried at Theban Tomb 6, or a different one. Question
Sorry that it's such a trivial question. Smile

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a quick search on my website:
http://euler.slu.edu/Dept/Faculty/bart/egyptianhtml/tombs/ThebanTombs.htm

TT6 belongs to a worker from Deir el Medina ("Foremen in the place of Truth")

Judging from the title it may be TT49:
"Neferhotep, Chief scribe of Amun, Probably temp. Aye
Parents: Neby (Servant of Amun) and Iuy; Wife: Merytre.
Merytre is shown in a garden receiving rewards from the Queen in the royal harem."

Or just maybe:
"TT257. Neferhotep, Scribe, Counter of grain of Amun, Temp. Tuthmosis III - Amenhotep III;
Tomb taken over later by Mahu, Deputy in the Ramesseum, Temp. Rameses II"

I think TT49 is slightly more likely based on the title.
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anneke wrote:
I think TT49 is slightly more likely based on the title.

Thanks, Anneke. Very Happy

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: