Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Folded Cloth S29 and Skin Apron F31 Glyphs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Atum
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Folded Cloth S29 and Skin Apron F31 Glyphs Reply with quote

Somehow these glyphs do not associate me with folded cloth and skin apron.

Both glyphs are pretty frequent and important so I would like to know more about them.

Gardiner code S29 (folded cloth) refers to it as health. Gardiner code F31 refers to it as apron of skin.
Nekht-Ankh
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's true that many hieroglyphs don't immediately look like the thing they are supposed to represent. I haven't any information other than that in Gardiner's Egyptian Grammar. There he does give references to journal articles for both identifications; so I suppose anyone sufficiently interested could, in theory, go and look them up.

He says that S29 is the cloth "seen in the hands of of many statues and was probably used as a handkerchief". This sign has the phonetic value s. It is used as an abbreviation for snb, the word for health - often in combination with S34 and U38, which are shorthand for life and prosperity, respectively. This formula is so common that Egyptologists simply abbreviate it to lph.

The sign F31 is supposed to be three foxes' skins tied together.
Atum
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Homework Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: