Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nefertiti found?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Diorite
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that I wasn't able to find the answer to. However, on another website where they were talking about DNA from Egyptian mummies, the main investigator said with royal mummies they couldn't get DNA from the most likely places to find it in better shape, but had to settle for pieces that had "fallen off". That could very well indicate that the other study used a detached arm.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...the main investigator said with royal mummies they couldn't get DNA from the most likely places to find it in better shape, but had to settle for pieces that had "fallen off".

The report doesn't clarify it in this case. What it does say is, and I quote for those who did not download the PDF (I learned my lesson...hopefully):

Quote:
Type of sample:-
1- Mummified bone (6x6 cm). The inner portion of the bone was used for DNA extraction
2- Mummified soft tissue (2x7 cm)

History of the sample:-
Tissue samples are taken from mummy NO 61072 (unidentified) which was discovered in the tomb of Amunhoteb [sic] II (KV35) at Luxor west bank. Is anyone really reading this?

As I understand it the best place to extract reliable DNA is from the teeth, but it happens that this mummy's mouth area was severely damaged in antiquity. I don't know if any teeth were usable. But the mummy's left arm is perfectly intact, as are the legs, so there would be no reason to use detached limbs. Besides, as I recall, there were questions raised as to the true "owner" of the extra arm found in that side chamber. I'd guess that the examiners had ample reliable tissue to use.

Visit my blog!
kat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt-sesh wrote:

Quote:
Is anyone really reading this?

Of course I am! Very Happy

Ok, this answers my question, thank you.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Of course I am!

Ha! Gold star to kat. Very Happy

This is something one of my junior high teachers used to do to us. All these years later and I still remember it.

Visit my blog!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: