Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The triple Atef crown

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: The triple Atef crown Reply with quote

Looking through the illustations in the books by N de Garies Davies, I noticed one scene which shows Akhenaten with a triple Atef crown.
The Atef crown was associated with Osiris and Heryshef and later with Re.

Akhenaten is wearing the triple crown and Nefertiti is wearing a double atef crown in this scene. I read somewhere that these multiple Atef crowns were developed during the reign of Akhenaten.

Above scene shows Tutankhamen with this crown.

Are other Queens ever shown with this crown?

I think the multiple Atef crown remains part of the royal regalia even after Akhenaten's reign. I can't remember, is it usually associated with Re?

Another question that comes to mind is why would they wear these elaborate crowns during a religious service? Or are they really to be seen as religious attributes?
Very Happy I guess I think of crowns as royal regalia, but maybe in ancient egypt they could have a purely religious connotation?
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anneke,

I hope that the triple Atef or Hemhem crown wasn't made of heavy materials. It looks so big Laughing. I don't think that it was easy to walk around with such a thing on your head.
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a interesting discussion on the Hemhem crown in the EEF archive files. If you download the Jan 2003 its in there.

I don't like to say too much of whats written as its peoples posts, but it mostly deals with the use of the hemhem and the Atef crown by Akhenaten, Nefertiti and Tutankhamun.

I've sometimes wondered if this sort of crown was actually worn or are just symbolic for ceremony or religious perposes - it just looks so ungainly or maybe it was just painted papyrus-mache Smile
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a copy of the scene:

This is a copy made by Lepsius.

Note btw that some of Lepsius' work is available online!
http://edoc3.bibliothek.uni-halle.de/books/2003/lepsius/start.html

If you click on the links on the left you will find both Lepsius' notes and quite a few drawings of scenes from several tomb and temples.
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look so powerful-apparantly the triple atef crown meant "the roaring one"!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: