Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

St Mark: New religion defeating old?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. about the modern Coptic Orthodox Church. No, they don't practice AE-style rituals. Yes, the Coptic language is the last surviving form of the ancient Egyptian language.

My local Coptic Church, St. Mark's, is hosting their annual 'Egypt in America' fair next weekend, and I can't wait to go. I love Egyptian food! Smile

The art in the main sanctuary seems more like the Greek Orthodox icons than any of the AE art, but some of the smaller icons that aren't in the formal sanctuary have a glimmer of AE in them, with the most important figure being larger than the others. Every year they add more icons, etc., and I love to see the progress they've made. A few years ago, they carved a row of AE Ankh symbols at chair-rail height around the sanctuary, and last year, they added a pair of lions to flank Pope Shenouda's throne.

I asked the acolyte who was giving church tours about the lions, as they were of a very similar style to an AE lion, a representation of Maahes, that's in the Cleveland Museum of Art. She told me the lions were a symbol of St. Mark, the founder of the Coptic faith, and that he had killed a lion in a wadi.

This got me to wondering - while many AE gods were represented symbolically by different animals, leonine/feline goddesses top the list, with about forty in number. (More, if you add the number of male gods with leonine/feline associations)While many of the AE temples still stand in one form or another, the lioness goddesses' temples are largely destroyed.

Which brings me to my question: Is it possible that the story of St. Mark killing the lion is a sort of holy allegory, symbolizing the new religion's defeat of the old?

kat newkirk
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting idea.
Maybe a combibation of both?
He could have really killed a lion - seems like something that leaders like to represent themselves doing?
But with the double meaning of it also depicting a victory of the new guard over the old.
Shepenmut
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kat wrote:

I asked the acolyte who was giving church tours about the lions, as they were of a very similar style to an AE lion, a representation of Maahes, that's in the Cleveland Museum of Art.

kat newkirk

I would love to see a picture of that Maahes in the Cleveland Museum of Art. I know you from Per Seshen (yahoo group) my username there is tjehen_netjer. Wink
Shepenmut
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kat is this the one you were talking about?

http://www.clevelandart.org/kids/egypt/animals/lion1.html
kat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's it - I think I posted more info about this piece at Per Seshen. Glad to see you here, too!
Karaum
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Lions Reply with quote

Check out Gerald Massey's "Ancient Egypt Light of the World" on the Net. Click on Book 10 (The Exodus), and then 'Find' the word 'SHENIU'. This will take you to two or more paragraphs which explain the Egyptian Lions. I think however that the Lion may have had something to do with the Age of Leo. We do know that the old regime in Egypt remained faithful to the Age of Taurus after the New Age of Aries the Ram was rising in the night sky. This led to a terrible Civil War - mostly between indigenous Egyptians and the Semites or Hyksos - Shepherd Kings of Lower Egypt. Moses (Akhenaten) did his nut when he came down from the Great Pyramid and found his people still making graven images of bulls and calves, instead of rams. Genesis 46:33/34 is a direct reference to Shepherds being non-Egyptians, i.e. Hebrews. Genesis 31:12 in the KJV refers to rams leaping on the cattle (changed by idiots to goats in their own flocks). This is either saying that Semites were now mixing with Egyptians, or possibly attacking them. The Age of Pisces circa 255 BCE kicked off yet another religion. The temples at Luxor and Karnak are a mirror reflection of the constellation of Aries - there is a net page on this - and and avenue of rams connects the temples.
kat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karaum wrote:

Quote:
Check out Gerald Massey's "Ancient Egypt Light of the World" on the Net

Thanks, but I think I'll stick to books written by real Egyptologists.

Fairy tales may be entertaining, but reality is even better! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: