Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

River God
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much as I hate to say it...true...
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no Queen Lostris, hence no tomb, and so no scrolls.

That intro about the find of the scrolls is part of the story. It's a literary device. Not an accounting of a real find.
Smenkare
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it looks as if this is a few months old..but anyhow!

That was one of my favorite novels, if not my favorite that i've read. It's all fictional, but he ties in some Egyptian history as well. I also have read the sequels The Seventh Scroll and Warlock. Theyre both pretty good, not as good as River God though. I do suggest reading The Sunbird also by Wilbus Smith its as fantastic as River God, also focusing on archeology in Africa.

On his website it says that last book in the Egyptian series is coming out this spring!!!!
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smenkare wrote:
I do suggest reading The Sunbird also by Wilbus Smith its as fantastic as River God, also focusing on archeology in Africa.

That's a great book! It has two different stories woven together. One plays out in ancient times and the other takes place in the present. There's an underlying premise that the modern people are reincarnations of those who lived in ancient times.
Pure fiction, but I find it a fascinating read.
Smenkare
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops! I wrote "Wilbus Smith" instead of Wilbur Smith!! Embarassed
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

River God was so realistic-loosely based on reality but you find your self back in the times of the AE-i couldn't put it down. I reallly liked the cheetah hunting scene and the scenes with the pharoh mamose....amazing how the hyskos invaded-real life egypt is as interesting if not more interesting than fiction written about it-imagine the anicnets struggles to reclaim their land...i am sure the pharohs of the 17th dynasty felt similar emotions, and had similar experiences as those expresssed in river god!

The seventh scroll was a page turner as well but river god was really fascinating-kind of like lord of the rings set in AE!
kat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the third in this trilogy, _Warlock_, deserves a huge thumbs down!It's almost as though Mr. Smith ran out of steam, yet kept going.
Smenkare
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kat wrote:
But the third in this trilogy, _Warlock_, deserves a huge thumbs down!It's almost as though Mr. Smith ran out of steam, yet kept going.

I quite agree.....

The last book of this series comes out this spring, I hope it is better than Warlock!
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh really?

Whats it called?

I might skip warlock then and move on to the new one?
azador
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 4th book is called The Quest, and as far as I know is set in Taita's time. It is already out, but I am just finishing up The Seventh Scroll. Still need to get to Warlock and The Quest.
azador
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, just noticed how old this post is. Sure everyone has read the 4th book by now, hope it is good.
Ranoferhotep
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

azador wrote:
Wow, just noticed how old this post is. Sure everyone has read the 4th book by now, hope it is good.

Iíve read all four of them, they are translated in to Dutch. Quest is called here ďmagiŽr (magician)Ē, it has little to do with A.E., tough it goes about an Egyptian party going to a foreign country. The book bulks of magical practices and thatís about it.
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information Ranoferhotep. I recieved all four books as a gift because I love all things ancient Egyptian. It seems like River God may be the only one that is really good, but I read fast and I am always looking for another book.
I see you are from Belgium, my Grandfathers family was from Belgium. He was born here, but all his siblings and parents were born there. I'm big on family history as well, so I was just wondering what it is like over there? My Grandfather was as close to be all Belgian as possible, although my Mother insisted he had some Bask? in him. She called it Bask French, but I was under the impression that Bask was Spanish. Unfortuantely both my Grandfather and Mother have passed on so I can not get any further elabortion. Would you happen to know if Bask is French, Spanish, or both? Sorry, off the subject a bit, but your the first Belgian peson I have ever spoken to besides my Grandfather.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I have read, the Basques are a people who live in northwest Spain and south west France. The Spanish Basques are probably much better known because of the Basque separatist movement ETA which operates in Spain.

I wonder if a possible French connection could come from the Huguenots? This protestant group was persecuted rather heavily and many of them left France in the 16th and 17th century to move to the North. I know some moved to Holland, others to Berlin. But it makes sense that many of them may have moved to Belgium as well? But I'm guessing Smile

I have done quite a lot of work on my own family tree and slowly but surely more and more sources are online. I do not know if you have seen this site before:
http://www.geneaknowhow.net/digi/bronnen.html
There are quite a few sources from the Netherlands. But there are several from Belgium as well.
Ranoferhotep
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Azador, first off all I would like to welcome you on the forum, I see you recently became a member, I hope you will enjoy it here.

To stay on topic: about the books of Wilbur Smith. I find them pleasant to read, sometimes he is quite explicit in describing certain actsÖsome of which are not suited to read directly after a nice meal.

Off topic:
Anneke has given already an answer about the Basques, they are of Spanish origin. Which wouldnít exclude that your ancestors could have moved to Belgium at a certain time. The Basques are still a minority group in Spain and they want to separate from Spain, I donít know how long this is going on, but it is quite some time already.

About Belgium: well we are currently worldwide known as the country with the world record on forming a government, I suppose nothing to be proud about. our political system is for out standers incomprehensible, and Ií really canít even try to give a simple explanation around it. For the rest I find Belgium a very nice country to live in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: